Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As above, when indicating, the needle on the temp gauge starts moving up and down in time with the indicators - and if you put the your foot on the brake pedal, the temperature gauge needle rises a couple of mm as well.
Any ideas?

Also, where would the temperature sender be located on a GQ 4.2 Petrol?

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
As above, when indicating, the needle on the temp gauge starts moving up and down in time with the indicators - and if you put the your foot on the brake pedal, the temperature gauge needle rises a couple of mm as well.
Any ideas?

Also, where would the temperature sender be located on a GQ 4.2 Petrol?
sound like a bad earth

i would fit another earth cable either from the battery to the body then chassie or from the motor to body then chassie

the temp sender is on the thermostat housing somewhere

·
Registered
nissan
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is the earth strap from the exhaust manifold to the wheel arch for - thats broken on mine, would that be all it is?

·
Registered
nissan
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All fixed.
The earth strap from the battery to the body had been used on a solenoid mount for the gas system, so it was just earthing to the inlet manifold.
mounted it back below the battery tray and the problem has been rectified, along with the temp gauge reading 'normal' instead of the 'over 3/4s' that it was reading.

·
Registered
nissan
39 Posts
Hi Fellas. I have seen "Home Mechanics" Fasten the earth strap from the battery negative to the body side of the rubber engine mount and wonder why things start smoking when they attempt a start. You can't have too many good earths on a motor vehicle. Fix the simple stuff on the electrics and it's amazing how well things work. Cheers, Derb.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts