Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi does anyone know how to test if a compressor still works? Ive got an air con compressor from a toyota coralla and want to rig it up just to inflate tyres as needed with a switch incab to turn it on when i need to. Dont want a full endless air setup just yet. Appreciate your help

·
Registered
Nissan
1,865 Posts
poweer to clutch wire and earth to body should make both the pully and the clutch plate turn without slipping.
u should be able to turn and feel resistanbce, hear oil slurping and air being pushed out the discharge port. if its off a coroola a fair chance it will work they r reliable

·
Registered
Nissan
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for that info, i'll give it a try. Does it matter where the power comes from? Eg can i use the power wire from the stereo just to try it? Im not to sure when it comes to this stuff. Thanks, phil

·
Registered
Nissan
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So i managed to connect a 12v power wire to the compressor, was something meant to happen. The compressor isnt mounted in the engine bay. Does it need to be attached with a belt off the motor to spin it? I dont want to have to pay $$ to get it tested to see if it works.

·
Registered
Nissan
1,865 Posts
connect the wire to battery pos and conenct the body of the compressor to battery neg(earth) and the clucth should pull in and "click"

·
Registered
Nissan
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
worked a treat, thanks guys. The clutch slipped and and when i spun the pulley there was resistance and could hear air noise etc. Now just need to work out how to mount it in the engine bay and hook up a belt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts