Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve been getting a bit of smoke on cold starts, but doesn’t seem to happen when the engine is warm. I assumed this would be a glow plug issue so yesterday when cleaning my intercooler I tested the glow plugs.

I removed the metal bracket that connects the 4 glow plugs, and used a multimeter set to 200 ohms tested negative to engine, possible to top of plug. Each tested 1.2 ohms.

I’ve just noticed that my service manual says to remove them to test them. Can anyone confirm if this is the case, or if my issue could possibly be with the glow plug relay?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,247 Posts
Yes theoretically you are supposed to remove them, clean the threads and then check restistance.? Is the smoke your seeing white smoke.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm ok I wasn’t sure if I was reading the manual correctly or not. So testing while not removed will not give an accurate reading? Yeah I’m pretty sure it’s white smoke.

So is there a special way to remove them or is it as simple as removing the covers and unscrewing them?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,247 Posts
12mm deep socket, remove seal and unscrew, doesn't hurt to give them a full visual while they are out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I’ve replaced the glow plugs with Bosch metal glow plugs. I’ve heard about the issues with metal glow plugs and long glow times. This morning I tested glow how long glow plugs were receiving voltage by holding a voltmeter to the buss bar. Voltage noted for no more than 2 mins. Scan gauge showed starting temp at 18 degrees. Plugs stopped receiving voltage at about 22 degrees. Turned off ignition and tried again. Glow plugs received voltage for about 30 secs. Temp at this stage was around 30 degrees.
I’ve ordered a new glow plug relay, but I’m wonder if anyone has encountered similar inconsistencies?

·
Registered
nissan
569 Posts
Ok I’ve replaced the glow plugs with Bosch metal glow plugs. I’ve heard about the issues with metal glow plugs and long glow times. This morning I tested glow how long glow plugs were receiving voltage by holding a voltmeter to the buss bar. Voltage noted for no more than 2 mins. Scan gauge showed starting temp at 18 degrees. Plugs stopped receiving voltage at about 22 degrees. Turned off ignition and tried again. Glow plugs received voltage for about 30 secs. Temp at this stage was around 30 degrees.
I’ve ordered a new glow plug relay, but I’m wonder if anyone has encountered similar inconsistencies?
Mate CRD glow plug circuit works differently to DI
CRD doesn't really need a glow plug it is only there to help with exhaust gas control
Also how are you measuring glow plug temp from scangauge?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,247 Posts
Mate CRD glow plug circuit works differently to DI
CRD doesn't really need a glow plug it is only there to help with exhaust gas control
Also how are you measuring glow plug temp from scangauge?
I read it as him speaking of engine temp, sounds like it was only running for a short time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep engine temp sorry. I only had the car running for a few minutes while measuring voltage to the glow plugs. I’m pretty sure the glow plugs aren’t functioning correctly though because I’m getting a lot of white smoke when cold, but idles completely fine once hot.

I haven’t been able to find any conclusive info on how the CRD glow plugs work. MyGU8, do you just know this from experience or is there some info you could point me towards?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,247 Posts
Just hook up a multimeter to the GP buzzbar, start it and let it warm up and take note of when power to GP is cut. DI is 5min or just over 70c engine temp, that is why we put timers in to cut at 20-30 seconds. If you have white smoke on startup it certainly sounds like they are dodgy. Checking power and timespan at the buzzbar will tell a story.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep that’s what I was testing when I noticed that buzz bar was only receiving voltage for less than 2 mins. I’ve read heaps on here from you and others talking about wiring up a timer, but couldn’t find any info on the CRDs. I’m thinking of just running a manual switch straight from battery to glow plugs just to test if relays/something else are the issue here or not.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,247 Posts
Maybe download the workshop manual from the DI archives, it goes to supp 15 which covers the CRD, I'm sure there will be an explanation in the EM section.

·
Registered
nissan
569 Posts
Mate
You don't need a timer for CRD
I have seen some info ill chase it up
From memory CRD glow plugs turn off if you dont start the engine and also when engine temp reaches 40c

·
Registered
nissan
569 Posts
Supplement 9 EC (Engine Control System) Page EC419
Also search for 'glow' for all other related pages

·
Registered
2 Posts
mate ,

can we have link updated to be able to download the latest supplements, cause the previous link it shows failed no file available,

thanks

Maybe download the workshop manual from the DI archives, it goes to supp 15 which covers the CRD, I'm sure there will be an explanation in the EM section.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,247 Posts
mate ,

can we have link updated to be able to download the latest supplements, cause the previous link it shows failed no file available,

thanks
For some reason this happens ocassionally, will re load tomorrow. I'm looking for a better storage option without needing to pay seeing as my work here is voluntary.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,247 Posts
i will be so appreciated mate, try dropbox Dropbox , it might be a bit reliable.

thanks
I have dropbox but it is not the ideal method for me to share globally, quite often that is how I get some manuals to share privately.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts