Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I should have started this a long time ago, but I'll catch up now and keep updating as I go. More for myself than anything but anyway....

Bought a 2009 CRD wagon around March of 2018. From a fairly dodgy dealer here in Sydney, and with WA plates, no history provided at all. Probably a total gamble, but I had an NRMA pre-vehicle inspection done which they were happy with. 173k kms and a few choice mods already done. Interior was in great nick which I liked, and the paint didn't have too much added character. I got it for $18k with 12 months of NSW rego and some brand new black and white plates.
Here's how it looked the day I got it

I named her Tesy, as TESY appears in the VIN. Black raccoon because I tend to scavenge as much as I can for her, or at least buy 2nd hand where possible.

The mods that she came with were
  • 33" Hankook Dynapro ATs (fairly worn)
  • Xrox bullbar
  • 2" lift on what appears to dobinsons springs and "Blupac" shocks (bit sagged, not bad though)
  • Sony double din touchscreen/bluetooth head unit
  • Dodgy fuse block coming straight off the starter battery, with dodgy wires running for spotlights, four switches in the cab, and wiring down to the back for either rear lights or the fridge
  • Some kind of aftermarket exhaust that leaked/smelled a little
  • The engine light would come on now and then, which once I got the scangauge installed, revealed a low EGR code, hinting it was blocked. Further down the track, I discovered the blanking plate at the exhaust side of the EGR, so perhaps a savvy previous owner? Who knows

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So first things first, full set of OEM filters and about a million bucks on various penrite oils, front to back. Cleaned the MAF too, which in retrospect I should have replaced... More on that later.
There's lots of mechanical stuff I can do, and lots I can not. Luckily my friend is a mobile mechanic and a bloody good one.

Classic wobbles at 80+ kms. Adjusted wheel bearings first, which didnt fix it. The LHS rear axle needed replacing too, which was a good time to replace rear rotors/pads/brake fluid.

Next thing was the wheels and tyres. The rears were probably 50% worn, but more importantly, I just hated those Dynapro ATs on the street. TERRIBLE in the rain. The stock alloy 17" rims look pretty cool, but I wanted to go all black and 16"... Why? Cheaper tyres of course
I did my homework and discovered that 33" tyres with a 2" lift was the maximum legal tyre/lift combo without engineering, so all good there. I believe the stock rims were 0 deg offset, and from my homework, neg 22 was also the limit of legal with the stock flares. I didnt need more lift or a wider track anyway, as she will be a daily, a tourer and occasional off-road.
I settled on a set of sunraysier knock offs from tempe tyres at $90 each. I think the fifth was free from memory, not sure. I really liked the little white rim to break up all the black.

16x8.0 Ballistic BWL Steel

Meanwhile, I discovered that "Australian Frontline Machinery" were auctioning off about a zillion sets of ex-army BFG All-terrains (the previous edition). As the army switched their fleet from Land Rover to Merc G-Wagons (there goes our tax dollars), they auction off all the trucks, parts and tyres. As it turns out, most of these sets of tyres have been sitting in a warehouse and never used.
From memory, I got a set of 5 for around $250-$300. All but two were in never used, as you can see on this pic

I managed to sell my stock rims and the horrible tyres for $700, even with VERY clear photos of the tyre wear. Broke even! Cheering.

Had tempe tyres fit the army rubber to the knock off rims, then got a proper wheel alignment and balance at Pro-Axle. They do truck alignments mainly, but as the bloke there said to me "The Patrol actually IS a truck underneath"

Whaddya know, death wobbles SORTED.

Sitting pretty now

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next up came the sound system... When I first got Tesy, only the front two stock speakers worked. I soon discovered they died in the rain... Not great.
Luckily the sony head unit had bluetooth and capacity for a reverse camera. Definitely good enough for me.

Picked up a set of four Pioneer TSA1670f speakers. The stock are 6", but these 6.5"s fit fine.
I would have stopped there, but decided to try my first GOOD sound system. Not fully sick, but VERY good.
I would never chew up my boot space with a big sub, and didn't know where to mount an amp yet as I hadn't figured out drawers etc...

I ended up with a Pioneer GMD1004 amp, which fits INSIDE the dash. Here's a pic (not mine) to show you how small it is. Great reviews
Image result for Pioneer GMD1004

I coupled that with a Kenwood KSCPSW8 subwoofer, which fits nicely under the passenger seat. Much better reviews than the pioneer equivalent.
Reverse camera and microphone for the bluetooth hooked up while I was at it.
about $600 all up from memory.

Let me tell you, the difference in sound is amazing. I was told by multiple audio technician and muso friends/family how much I'd love the sound, but I was still amazed. Big misconception about subwoofers is that they are for rap/doof/dance/whatever genre... Incorrect.
A subwoofer makes ALL music sound better. It even makes talk radio and podcasts sound better. A rich and full sound, and this is just a little under seat version!

Also making wireless calls is nice, and I'm not sure how I survived so long without a reverse camera, having never had one before. Genius bit of kit. I mounted mine under the "Patrol" logo on the back small barn door, which gives me a tiny bit of my spare tyre in the corner, plus the stock tie down hoop thing too, which are my furthest back points. Perfect

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I picked up a set of 4wdsupacentre Titan drawers for $250 from gumtree. In retrospect, I should've gotten them brand new. Installing them already assembled (without wings) was actually really annoying. I scratched my barn door skin up in the process. Whatever, once they were in, they're great.

What I'd really like to do, is work out a way to have a platform that lets me and the missus sleep in the back. That would mean keeping the fridge on the floor behind the front passenger seat, and removing the middle row of seats entirely
A while ago I saw a member had built exactly that, but I think due to all the broken links, the photos may be gone. It was a great setup. Does anyone have the link?
I'm not sure the titan drawers will be high enough though, once a 40L fridge is on the floor in front of them with a platform on top... I'm still in the planning phases of dual battery and fridge anyway.

Before anyone says it won't be comfortable, I've done it before in a tiny corolla hatchback. I could sleep in there fully stretched out, with the car totally closed up, and I'm 6'2".
Besides, it's only as a backup plan for when you're in a town and just need to crash for the night after enjoying too many $5 schooeys at the local RSL

Here's my previous steed, the mighty 99 corolla, in "driving mode" and "sleeping mode". Check out the sweet purple paint job, fruit basket up top, and 90s printed seats. The Patrol looks good, but this car was a true classic. Even had a spoiler to go with it's 1.4L NA.

The back seats come out with a couple bolts for a camping trip. The two black boxes house all my camping gear. When switched to sleep mode, you slide/fold the front seats as far forward as they go. The black boxes go right behind the front seats. The plywood you can see them sitting on sits on top of the boxes and acts as a straight platform from the boot. Deploy the mattress, put up your kmart windshield reflectors and window socks, crack the windows for some ventilation and voila, a stealth campervan. I even use my pillows and doona from home

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At some point, I got sick of the stink of diesel wafting into my window whenever it was open. Got a stainless steel 3" exhaust from Berklee in vic via 4wdsupacentre.

Actually NOT the cheapest option for once, but after some homework I decided it was a winner.
I like that it came with a hi-flow cat, and a good sized muffler. I'm keeping this car legal, I don't need a loud exhaust.

It was also time to replace the weeping stock intercooler. I went with a stock size forefront welded unit, and picked up their set of intake pipes too. While there's probably zero performance benefit over stock pipework, the kit looks a lot tidier and let me get rid of that stock resonator box which was cluttering things up.

I also picked up a provent catch can kit from western filters and fitted it up. The bracket below isn't there anymore as it was not ideal. It's currently zip tied in the aux battery space. A project soon will be relocating it with some kind of bracket, and re-routing the hoses to be a straighter run for the crank case vapours. The western filters kit comes with 90 degree elbows which I have since learned may cause a bit of back pressure, which would explain why my new intercooler still gets a tiny bit of oil through it.

Here's the bay and cooler as I got it

and after the forefront/provent goodies went in. Much nicer

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
18,714 Posts
Looks like it's coming along nicely. I'd love a black GU one day, even if they are a pain to keep clean.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like it's coming along nicely. I'd love a black GU one day, even if they are a pain to keep clean.
Thanks!

There's lots more that's now been done under the bonnet, but I'll save the write up for another day. In the meantime, here it is as per the other day with it's new (unbearably loud) snorkel.

Honestly the black paint isn't THAT bad. I've only recently moved away from plain old CT18/CT20 and done a bit of research on proper paint care.

I gave it a good clean with CT18, which will strip off any residual wax, then used Turtle wax "Seal and Shine". Very easy to use liquid sealant wax. Now when it gets dusty and dirty, a very quick wash with a pH neutral wash (making sure it's diluted correctly, as per the bottle instructions), and it looks fantastic again, while protecting the sealant. I suspect I'll only have to use the liquid sealant once every few months, perhaps only twice a year even.
Having said all that, it's still a 4wd and gets used as such. There's a few scratches and dints. Accepting the fact it won't look perfect makes life a lot easier.

·
Premium Member
Patrol Hybrid.
12,016 Posts
We have a few up this way, usually parked on the side of the road, bit of blue and white checkering on them and some very expensive camera gear in them, often with the motor running. You’re welcome to grab one. 😉

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Today’s (and probably another days) project is the EGT, boost and oil pressure gauge. Redarc isn’t cheap, but for 3 in one it’s not that bad, and I know it will be reliable. I also picked up the “enhanced lighting controller” (GA-ELC) as apparently the gauge would be too bright at night, even when connected to the Nissan dimmer switch.
I decided on oil pressure after doing so much engine work (more on that soon). With water temp and a few other things on my scangauge, this is the only other gauge I need. Down the track I might add a dual battery gauge from redarc when I setup the aux battery.

If I do that, I’ll get a pillar pod. For now this cheapy off eBay will have to do. I drilled a little hole out the back for the redarc button.

Harder than I thought to get all the wires routed down to the foot well. I’m terrible at soldering, so I might just line everything up and then throw it to an auto electrician to do the actual splicing and soldering.

A word of advice! Do your EGT (at least the probe) at the same time as fitting your exhaust. 🤦🏼‍♂️

After enjoying my new exhaust for 6 months, I decided I really should have an EGT gauge, and tried to remove the bung from the dump pipe, which promptly snapped off (you can sort of see it in the pic above).
I decided to leave the snapped off bolt in there, as there’s no way it’s leaking, and getting it out would be damn near impossible. Turned my attention to the o2 probe bung above it. With lots of penetrant and some firm but gentle persuasion, the bung came out in one piece.
Found a brass adaptor that stepped it down to the redarc NPT probe fitting. I was worried the probe wouldn’t sit very far in with the bigger flange and new adaptor, but the trusty Aldi vernier calliper showed a depth of 64mm to the other side of the dump pipe, with the tip of my probe measuring exactly 31mm. Damn I wish it was 32mm for the perfect half way... oh well.

Next minor disaster was fitting the heatshield of course. Rather than think it all through and measure up properly (which would have been easy had I done it all at once with the new exhaust), I took a wild stab at where the probe would sit. I cut a very tidy notch with my $20 nibbler drill attachment (one of the funnest tools I’ve ever bought), and missed the mark by about 30mm 🤦🏼‍♂️

Taking the heat shield off sounded worse than hell, so I adjusted my probe notch with the heat shield in place. Took the catch can off which luckily gave just enough space to get a little 12v impact driver and the nibbler down there, and made a hideously ugly notch for the probe. Nothings rubbing, all the heatshield bolts are in. Damn ugly, but I'm still proud of it

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The previous owner had some boost gauge hose routed through a little blanking plate in the firewall, with no grommet and some empty space around it. Not waterproof at all!

I decided to use that hole for my oil pressure sensor, as they are raw wires and I thought they’d be safer with split conduit.

Firstly I had to make sure I got the right size split conduit + grommet combo. Found a grommet at jaycar that was 12.7mm OD with an inner diameter of 9.5mm, which suits 10mm split conduit perfectly.

Took off that little blanking plate (sorry no photo), and drilled it out with a 12mm bit. Grommet fit perfect, and I used pawpaw ointment on the conduit to feed it through. Good old pawpaw.

Considering how difficult it was to get that sucker through, I’m willing to bet good money it’s as watertight as a factory firewall grommet

The EGT probe and boost hose got fed through the factory wiring harness grommet via an old coat hanger for assistance

·
Blues Won as Expected. Go the Knights
Nissan
29,692 Posts
Hey Pretty flash bloody 4by you have there Jack..

With your provent setup mate.. make sure those hose clamps don't start rubbing into those heater hoses pal.

On a recent trip I just did to Qld when I came off Fraser I noticed mine had worn through the silver hose heat protecting stuff and it started on the hose itself..
That would of been nice if that let go whilst we were over there..

Just one to keep an eye on ..😉

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Pretty flash bloody 4by you have there Jack..

With your provent setup mate.. make sure those hose clamps don't start rubbing into those heater hoses pal.

On a recent trip I just did to Qld when I came off Fraser I noticed mine had worn through the silver hose heat protecting stuff and it started on the hose itself..
That would of been nice if that let go whilst we were over there..

Just one to keep an eye on ..😉

Good point! The catch can actually isnt in that spot anymore, as my dodgy bracket wasn’t very stable. It’s sitting in the aux batt spot now. The pipes aren’t touching, but I will definitely keep that in mind when I move it again for the aux battery plans!

In other news, picked up a recovery hitch for the rear and a set of roadsafe front recovery points for the front.
The xrox bar mounts needed a notch chopped out as they perfectly covered the recovery point holes. Bit of primer and some black paint and it’s not too bad I reckon. I like the little pop of yellow on the black raccoon. When it’s time to do the steering damper, I think the tough dog comes in yellow too 🤔

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,464 Posts
Black GUIV is the sexiest 4WD of all time.

Love your topic, have skimmed half of it - you certainly know what you're doing. Will read it all asap. Glad to hear you picked it up for $18k, I am considering replacing my GQ and that price works for me. I had a 2008 for a few years and as much as I love the old bus I miss the comfort.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Black GUIV is the sexiest 4WD of all time.

Love your topic, have skimmed half of it - you certainly know what you're doing. Will read it all asap. Glad to hear you picked it up for $18k, I am considering replacing my GQ and that price works for me. I had a 2008 for a few years and as much as I love the old bus I miss the comfort.
I certainly don't know what I'm doing, but thank you! I have to agree about the black series 4... I know I am biased, but there truly is no other 4wd that meets this mix of looks, comfort, price and performance.

For me, this easily met my creature comfort minimums. Proper bucket seats, cruise control, cold aircon, good power steering. After that, things start getting pointless... Electric seats and remote controlled boot lids or whatever else the more modern dual cabs come with... No thanks.

However I will say the wishlist for creature comforts this year includes windows tinted (this summer), sound deadening and a new set of shocks/springs when these wear out...

But first things first, I MUST SWAP THIS SNORKEL FOR A RAM HEAD ASAP
No one should be made to live with that racket. No one.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,339 Posts
I certainly don't know what I'm doing, but thank you! I have to agree about the black series 4... I know I am biased, but there truly is no other 4wd that meets this mix of looks, comfort, price and performance.

For me, this easily met my creature comfort minimums. Proper bucket seats, cruise control, cold aircon, good power steering. After that, things start getting pointless... Electric seats and remote controlled boot lids or whatever else the more modern dual cabs come with... No thanks.

However I will say the wishlist for creature comforts this year includes windows tinted (this summer), sound deadening and a new set of shocks/springs when these wear out...

But first things first, I MUST SWAP THIS SNORKEL FOR A RAM HEAD ASAP
No one should be made to live with that racket. No one.
Funny, many people go for them facing over the roof, I'd like 10$ for every guy I know whos wife has complained about the noise.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Funny, many people go for them facing over the roof, I'd like 10$ for every guy I know whos wife has complained about the noise.

Yeah this one is the “flush mount” style which basically faces into the passenger window 🤦🏼‍♂️ I thought it looked great, but in retrospect I realise that I’ve never ridden in a car with a 4” stainless snorkel.
My mrs didn’t even have to complain, I hated the sound straight away.
The other day I gave a few friends a ride and the sound was a bloody laughing stock the whole time, as any time I was accelerating everyone had to start shouting to talk.
I also hate that I can’t listen to a podcast at a normal level. It will be fine when stopped at a light or coasting down hill, but then you take off and literally can not hear the dialogue on the podcast at all.
If you roll the passenger window down, it is literally painful on your ear drums.

Corey of Fabwitz posted this one for sale on Facebook with a heavily discounted price, due to a minor dent on the underside which is almost completely hidden once mounted. I jumped on it.

Thankfully he was an absolute gentleman and is going to let me pay the difference for a ram head style, and send this one back to him. Great quality product and great service, just loud!!

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,420 Posts
View attachment 515094

View attachment 515095

View attachment 515096

Today’s (and probably another days) project is the EGT, boost and oil pressure gauge. Redarc isn’t cheap, but for 3 in one it’s not that bad, and I know it will be reliable. I also picked up the “enhanced lighting controller” (GA-ELC) as apparently the gauge would be too bright at night, even when connected to the Nissan dimmer switch.
I decided on oil pressure after doing so much engine work (more on that soon). With water temp and a few other things on my scangauge, this is the only other gauge I need. Down the track I might add a dual battery gauge from redarc when I setup the aux battery.

If I do that, I’ll get a pillar pod. For now this cheapy off eBay will have to do. I drilled a little hole out the back for the redarc button.

Harder than I thought to get all the wires routed down to the foot well. I’m terrible at soldering, so I might just line everything up and then throw it to an auto electrician to do the actual splicing and soldering.

View attachment 515097
A word of advice! Do your EGT (at least the probe) at the same time as fitting your exhaust.

After enjoying my new exhaust for 6 months, I decided I really should have an EGT gauge, and tried to remove the bung from the dump pipe, which promptly snapped off (you can sort of see it in the pic above).
I decided to leave the snapped off bolt in there, as there’s no way it’s leaking, and getting it out would be damn near impossible. Turned my attention to the o2 probe bung above it. With lots of penetrant and some firm but gentle persuasion, the bung came out in one piece.
Found a brass adaptor that stepped it down to the redarc NPT probe fitting. I was worried the probe wouldn’t sit very far in with the bigger flange and new adaptor, but the trusty Aldi vernier calliper showed a depth of 64mm to the other side of the dump pipe, with the tip of my probe measuring exactly 31mm. Damn I wish it was 32mm for the perfect half way... oh well.

Next minor disaster was fitting the heatshield of course. Rather than think it all through and measure up properly (which would have been easy had I done it all at once with the new exhaust), I took a wild stab at where the probe would sit. I cut a very tidy notch with my $20 nibbler drill attachment (one of the funnest tools I’ve ever bought), and missed the mark by about 30mm

Taking the heat shield off sounded worse than hell, so I adjusted my probe notch with the heat shield in place. Took the catch can off which luckily gave just enough space to get a little 12v impact driver and the nibbler down there, and made a hideously ugly notch for the probe. Nothings rubbing, all the heatshield bolts are in. Damn ugly, but I'm still proud of it
Should of done a search mate. Lol.
I drew up the plans for the Berklee pyro and AFR hole locations. Oh well. Live and learn.
Funny enough. They have the holes ass about. Their AFR bung is too close to the turbo and should be where their AFR bung is. I ended up cutting the bottom bung out and welded in a boss for the AFR sensor when I installed the AFR gauge.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,420 Posts
The previous owner had some boost gauge hose routed through a little blanking plate in the firewall, with no grommet and some empty space around it. Not waterproof at all!

I decided to use that hole for my oil pressure sensor, as they are raw wires and I thought they’d be safer with split conduit.

Firstly I had to make sure I got the right size split conduit + grommet combo. Found a grommet at jaycar that was 12.7mm OD with an inner diameter of 9.5mm, which suits 10mm split conduit perfectly.

Took off that little blanking plate (sorry no photo), and drilled it out with a 12mm bit. Grommet fit perfect, and I used pawpaw ointment on the conduit to feed it through. Good old pawpaw.

View attachment 515098

Considering how difficult it was to get that sucker through, I’m willing to bet good money it’s as watertight as a factory firewall grommet

The EGT probe and boost hose got fed through the factory wiring harness grommet via an old coat hanger for assistance
Where is that blanking plate mate?

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Should of done a search mate. Lol.
I drew up the plans for the Berklee pyro and AFR hole locations. Oh well. Live and learn.
Funny enough. They have the holes ass about. Their AFR bung is too close to the turbo and should be where their AFR bung is. I ended up cutting the bottom bung out and welded in a boss for the AFR sensor when I installed the AFR gauge.

Oh my god hahaha that would have been good!! That one is a helluva lot tidier than mine 😂 oh well, it works!

Where is that blanking plate mate?

On my 09 CRD, it’s located above and to the right of the drivers pedal, which puts that split conduit dangling out right behind the cabin fuse box. I’ll get a photo from the engine bay later

1 - 20 of 49 Posts