Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
261 - 277 of 277 Posts

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,533 Posts
Just having a think about weight savings here...

Setup 1. Side-by-side drawers + fridge cage + (maybe) fridge slide
The ubiquitous titan drawers and wings ~80kg (pretty standard).
A fridge cage is another ~15kg.
So we're at 95kg if you use the (crappy) built in fridge slide.
A decent slide for 15kg and you're pushing a 110kg storage solution around. Your fridge is sitting pretty high, so you might consider a drop slide instead for another 40kg making a total of 135kg

Setup 2. Drifta vertical stacked drawer, fridge box combo ("Wagon #6)
Ok so if you scrap that setup, you could have an all-in-one Drifta stacked drawer setup with the fridge on the left, which included everything above and kept the fridge at a nice height. My used set was 67kg, but if you want the proper setup with a false floor and wing kit, you're looking at ~80kg

Setup 3. Qubelok shelves, fridge platform replacing middle row seats
My cargo setup is ~22kg
My fridge platform is ~4kg. That's just one side, so if you go for both sides you're looking at a total of about 30kg for storage.
The middle row seats have to come out at ~22kg each, saving a total of ~45kg.
(This storage solution is actually "free" payload in a sense)

So if we compare my current setup to setup number 1, we've saved from ~125-150kg
If we compare it to the drifta setup we're saving ~80-95kg

For reference, 150kg is a QUARTER of the 600kg payload available on these wagons.

I've also gone from a RTT at 80kg to a swag at 20kg, saving another 60kg

I believe payload in Australia doesn't even include a full tank of fuel. So another big chunk gone there.
A steel bullbar weighs 80kg.
A "lightweight" roof tent on a "lightweight" aluminium platform rack will run you ~100kg easily.
Add water, food, beers, camping gear, 20kg of dual battery, a 15kg dog, a 30kg winch, a 15kg hi-lift, maxtrax.... Rear bars, sliders, steel bash plates, cast iron ovens, .... The payload just disappears before you've added two humans at another 150kg.... No wonder we are all running around over GVM!

I'm not what else you could use. Some kind of polycarbonate panel would be heavier.
Perhaps thin gauge aluminium sheet would be lighter for the walls, but it would be difficult to bolt things to while keeping it from wobbling all over the place.
There's honeycomb composite panel materials out there but you'd spend a fortune to save just a few kg, and again not as simple as just driving a screw into for mounting a fuse panel, compressor, tool holders etc
What about the cost difference between your three options? Fridge drop slides can cost as much as a fridge. I bet your solution was a fraction of the cost of a set of drawers and a fridge slide...

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
What about the cost difference between your three options? Fridge drop slides can cost as much as a fridge. I bet your solution was a fraction of the cost of a set of drawers and a fridge slide...
Oh yeah I forgot to even mention the costs….

I spent $198 to build the frame buying direct from capral. That included all the aluminium section and joiners.

12mm plywood was probably another $100… I can’t recall exactly. I didn’t get fancy marine stuff

I had some black carpet from a previous project, but I’d say you need about $100 of it from carbuilders

I already had a rivnut gun which is an indispensable tool anyway, and I bought a new blade for the saw for about $30 which I’ll probably continue to use for years.

After that is some consumables like carpet glue, bolts and washers, a couple cans of spray paint and a couple of L brackets I found in the shed. Let’s call that another $100 if you didn’t have any of it lying around already.

Ok so I had change from $500. More than I thought but still not bad.
4wdsupacentre draws cost about that much and are pretty rubbish.
The drifta set was over $2500 brand new!! Yikes

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #263 ·
Unfortunately Tesy is no more. To be fair, I had her up for sale anyway, but then she was crashed into while parked with the "for sale" sign up. It was a clear and straight bit of road, so the driver may have fallen asleep at the wheel. I'm insured and no one was hurt except for Tesy's chassis.

I don't think it's supposed to look like this.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs

End of an era. I had already bought myself a new "do-it-all" car, which ended up being a basic bitch dual cab. Can't justify having more than one car, and really just need a ute and wanted something new. I'm renovating a house now and all my spare time goes to that.

Just want to say a huge thank you to everyone that has helped me over the last 4 years. It's been a fun car to own and I've learnt A LOT. I hope I've been of some help too.

There really isn't a community like this one for any other 4wds. I'll be stuck with facebook groups where the geniuses argue over whether 19 or 20 inch rims look better :(

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,443 Posts
Unfortunately Tesy is no more. To be fair, I had her up for sale anyway, but then she was crashed into while parked with the "for sale" sign up. It was a clear and straight bit of road, so the driver may have fallen asleep at the wheel. I'm insured and no one was hurt except for Tesy's chassis.

View attachment 536602

End of an era. I had already bought myself a new "do-it-all" car, which ended up being a basic bitch dual cab. Can't justify having more than one car, and really just need a ute and wanted something new. I'm renovating a house now and all my spare time goes to that.

Just want to say a huge thank you to everyone that has helped me over the last 4 years. It's been a fun car to own and I've learnt A LOT. I hope I've been of some help too.

There really isn't a community like this one for any other 4wds. I'll be stuck with facebook groups where the geniuses argue over whether 19 or 20 inch rims look better :(
Very sorry for the loss, damn that would break my heart also, please don't make a stranger of yourself here, I'm sure we can fit you in somewhere mate ;).

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
19,388 Posts
Stay, you have a wealth of knowledge, there will be people that ask questions that you can answer.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,443 Posts
Hey, so sorry about how Tesy ended up:cry:, the ol' girl deserved more. Definitely stick around and remain a part of this community.

I'm sure @geeyoutoo can find a spot for a new build thread for your "basic bitch dual cab."
I'm quite sure we can arrange something ;).

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
52,443 Posts
Thanks very much guys. Perhaps I’ll start a new build thread for the “BBDC”.
i Don’t think I’m the only ex patrol owner who’s still hanging around 😂
Definitely not, the build thread section underwent a name change to include Members Rides some years ago for just this reason.
Plus we have a Non Patrol Vehicle Technical section.

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,750 Posts
Bloody sorry to hear you no longer have tesy mate.

Dual cabs are convenient and useful. I'm sure you'll enjoy this new chapter of your life .

All the best

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,628 Posts

View attachment 536602

Sorry to hear. :(
That'd do my head in and I'd be gutted. Hope you enjoyed Tesy over the years. Oh, and stick around.

·
Registered
07 Black Patrol 3.0 / 04 Grey 3.0 Patrol / 01 3.0 Patrol
1,603 Posts
Nice Patrol and thread!! 👍

·
Premium Member
2004 ZD30di ST-L
87 Posts
Damn sorry to hear about Tesy. Was great sticking my head in once in a while and following your progression. Good luck with your new venture, and like others have said, stick around. For the record I ended up with the Wildpeaks 5 months ago. Over 10k on them including a 8200 return trip to the Gulf. Couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
Patrol GU6 2009 Silver Wagon Manual 3.0
37 Posts
Hey mate so sorry to hear what happened to your Patrol :( she was a good looking girl and you gave me much inspiration for mine - let alone all the helpful replies to my questions too.

Hopefully you do stick around because I for one seriously appreciate what you've done for this forum.

Cheers.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
Also guys I’ve listed a bunch of stuff for sale here before posting anywhere else. The camo seat covers have already sold!

here’s the threads

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
Wheels from Tesy now up for sale. I believe that's everything. Will all get posted to facebook shortly but you lot get first dibs

261 - 277 of 277 Posts