Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

161 - 180 of 193 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,215 Posts
@trev zd30

Maybe it's Digibooster time.
I am considering that mod eventually to try different combos.

I particularly would like opening the vanes on throttle cut to bleed EMP.
I almost ordered one before the discussion regarding two needles began.
I feel like emp is released quite well with the two needle setup too.
My tuner mentioned that eclipse is concerned about EMP not being released with the standard tillix and needle. He said they are much happier with the 2 needle setup.

Sorry to highjack your thread @jackbyo

Reactions: tonz_a_fun1

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #163
I've had to change the name. Tesy is much more of a wombat than a raccoon. Partly because Patrols are actually a lot more Australian than they are American. Also, I haven't been scavenging anything for Tesy. Just spending a lot of money on new stuff.

Thanks to the help of @ZORDO, @Overboard and many others on here, I've finally settled on a new suspension setup.
Going for a pretty basic 2" lift comprising of Dobbo springs, a tough dog adjustable damper and Ironman Foam Cell Pro shocks. I'm off the idea of remote res. Too much complexity (fail points) for my liking. These foamies have nothing but glowing reviews, and look massive.
After a lot of consideration, I've decided against going for the 4" travel shocks with the 2" springs.
Once I tallied everything up, the 4" shocks would end up costing me about an extra thousand bucks for a grand total of about 50mm more down-travel. I'm not even sure how useful that last 50mm is without the full weight of the car on it... Lots of debate out there about exactly that, but end of the day I couldn't afford it.

Which turned out a blessing, because repco have a GME sale and I'm finally getting a UHF. Picked up the top of the line 370c "4wd pack" for $524 down from $650. Australian made of course.

Good timing, because next weekend is the Nissan Patrol Club 4x4 training weekend and a UHF is mandatory. Hopefully I can make it

·
Registered
2004 ZD30di ST-L
31 Posts
Another nice reading well documented build. How you finding your RedArc gauges you installed early this year? Needing to do the same to kick off NADS but then reading this Redarc thread I'm growing doubt.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #166
Another nice reading well documented build. How you finding your RedArc gauges you installed early this year? Needing to do the same to kick off NADS but then reading this Redarc thread I'm growing doubt.
Thanks mate
Love my redarc gauge. Not sure what they're on about in that thread, it's not slow at all. I do actually prefer the look of the classic VDO, but I only wanted one gauge and I definitely wanted alarms. Redarc after sales support were great too.

If I were getting it again though, I'd get boost/egt/water temp. I monitor my water temp on the scangauge, but it doesn't have an alarm. I never really look at gauges unless i'm tinkering with something or it starts beeping at me to slow down

·
Registered
2004 ZD30di ST-L
31 Posts
Thanks mate
Love my redarc gauge. Not sure what they're on about in that thread, it's not slow at all. I do actually prefer the look of the classic VDO, but I only wanted one gauge and I definitely wanted alarms. Redarc after sales support were great too.

If I were getting it again though, I'd get boost/egt/water temp. I monitor my water temp on the scangauge, but it doesn't have an alarm. I never really look at gauges unless i'm tinkering with something or it starts beeping at me to slow down
Thanks for your input and into the other thread too. (y) There's more positive support about then negative and after just watching one of the sidetracked patrol build vids recently I think I'm swayed. Just a matter of deciding on a full EGT sweep or half EGT/Boost. Definately need oil pressure too so that will share with coolant temp with maybe an outside ambient temp sensor.

·
Registered
Nissan
109 Posts
great build up (even though mine is a 99TD) love your work and commitment to sorting things outside of the box
I have just posted my thoughts on that thread about the Autron / RedArc gauges

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Few things going on in preparation for a trip next week

Finally got a UHF. I ended up with the GME XRS 330 which has the same handpiece and functionality as their top spec one (the 370), but the little base unit that tucks away under the dash is plastic instead of metal and doesn't have a second speaker built in.
Turned out a blessing as I ended up squeezing it in between the centre console and the passenger seat. I think the bigger 370 unit wouldn't have fit in this spot.

This means I keep the handpiece off my dash which I prefer because I like the dash tidy. It would have had to end up on the passenger side anyway because I'm too tall for the patrol as it is, and couldnt fit it to the left of the steering wheel anywhere without hitting my knee on it

The bracket for the base unit wouldn't fit, so it's just double sided taped in place. I accidentally placed it on a wonky angle... I probably will never bother straightening it up
The RJ45 connector for the handpiece is just reachable with one finger, so when not in use it's easy to disconnect and chuck in the glovebox.
The seatbelt buckle doesn't foul, and neither does the seat when rolling forward and back. very tight fit

The handpiece is just sitting there next to the ash tray for now, but I'll pick up the magnetic mount for it and just double sided tape it in place there too. Doesn't even get in the way of my home made cup holders!

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,120 Posts
If access to the RJ45 isn't a requirement, there's probably enough space for that little unit INSIDE the centre console in the exact same spot you have it now. You could probably drill a hole in the switch blank and run the wire for the hand piece through it.

·
Registered
2010 GU DX CRD Grenade :)
663 Posts
^^That, or you can buy a switch blank that has an rj45 connector in it that has a cable which plugs into the unit. If the speaker is built into the unit you could drill a few holes in the side of the console to help with the volume, holesaw a big hole and put mesh over it or fit an external speaker.

When I fitted the unit to mine, I put it below the airbag on the passenger side, behind the dash panel above where your feet go. Turns out on mine there was a small metal bracket on the bottom of the cross member with 2 x m6 captive threads in it that lined up exactly with the holes on the bracket of the unit. It also had an extension cable with rj45s which I ran to the radio fascia panel and attached it to the spot where the diff lock switch goes in the newer models.

In saying all that, with the switch blank option, you could fit that to one of the blanks down near the sub tank switch and plug it in when needed.

Otherwise, bugger what everyone else thinks, if you're happy with it then that's all that matters.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #172
Yep I had actually considered that. The kit comes with an RJ45 pass through and an extension cord for it.
the sidetracked guy did exactly that, and described it as way more work than he realised.
I had a quick look and figured I’d take the easy route. Just as well, as I’m running out of time to do a few more jobs before leaving for the darling river run on Friday

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #173

Next big job done ✅
Out with the sagged and leaky no name springs and shocks, in with dobinsons and Ironman foam cell pro 2” setup.

I wanted to do this myself, but my street is so bloody cambered that when I went to lift the whole rear end up the whole car fell to the side. Scared the crap out of me but no damage done.

So the legend of legends at Daryl’s Motors got it sorted.
Check out how sagged the previous 2” spring is, and how bloody massive the new shocks are!!

heights as follows, measured from centre of hub to wheel arch

Driver front 565 to 600
Passenger front 575 to 585

Driver rear 580 to 640
Passenger rear 605 to 630

yep that’s a 60mm increase at the driver rear! Sits much bigger now!
Will see how it all settles over time.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,855 Posts
Just noticed something with your discs, your slots are orientated the opposite to how I install mine, the reason I do mine this way is for the dust and any other crap to be thrown outwards, have always fitted them this way to vehicles I've upgraded. Have you noticed any buildup?

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
19,659 Posts
Do you have a 3" exhaust? some times the thicker shocks can rub on it.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #176
Just noticed something with your discs, your slots are orientated the opposite to how I install mine, the reason I do mine this way is for the dust and any other crap to be thrown outwards, have always fitted them this way to vehicles I've upgraded. Have you noticed any buildup?
View attachment 523168
I haven’t, but I’ll have a look after my next trip which is many days off road.

Do you have a 3" exhaust? some times the thicker shocks can rub on it.
Yep 3”. Will keep my eye on it

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #177

a few changes to the back end...

got the bush ranger bin bag working with the mean mother recovery board holder
And also got some working tail lights all fitted up. Even threw in the stedi reverse bulbs which are brilliant at night.

How she’s sitting after the new springs.
Also fitted up the drifta 1.4 wild lands rtt on some eBay roof bars. (If anyone in Sydney wants to buy a great condition rhino pioneer platform hit me up)

Can’t wait to get out of town

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
19,659 Posts
I have the same exhaust with thinner dobo shock with about the same gap

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2004 ZD30di ST-L
31 Posts
Nothing like a splurge... some questions please
1. Doesn't the Drifta fit on the Rhino?
2. You mentioned fitting your reverse camera earlier but I couldn't picture (no pun intended) it. Is that it above the 'H'?
3. Any pics of Nizzbits Garry's goodies he sent you for the suspension?
More importantly, enjoy the Darling. I should've been off with my club next week doing Googs Track but that won't happen now this year :(

161 - 180 of 193 Posts