Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

801 - 820 of 872 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #801
Hmmm, well it would seem that my rocker broke for other reasons other than rpm, god dam it.
Haven't pulled it apart, but I suspect it has dropped a intake seat, I replaced the exhaust seats when I slapped it back together, but left the intakes.
After 19yrs, and god knows how many km's, this head will now be put out to pasture.

·
Registered
nissan
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #803
Hmmm, my slap together and others may vary lol.
Only short cut I really took was not replacing intake seats in the head, cost me big time that decision.

·
Registered
nissan
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #804
Finally have most of the bottom end bolted together.
If I don't change my mind what I am actually doing (which does happens a lot), Bitsa should be going again in a week or so.

·
Registered
nissan
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #806
Bitsa is alive again.
Got the engine fitted Saturday.
Starts surprisingly well considering the way it is built/setup.
Has my old head on it for the time being, with the smaller of the 2 cams I had made for testing, and only has standard ratio rockers on it at the minute.
Been trying to find my spare high ratio rocker arms but just cant find them to replace the broken one.
I will get a couple of higher ratio again sets of rockers made over the next month or so.
When time permits/or circumstances dictate, whichever comes first, I will finish of my new head which has some different ideas happening, and put it on.
It's super responsive, even with the BC disconnected, and revs very smoothly.
Done 100km or so on the dyno at various loads, its shows potential.
This engine will not be run in anger without water or maybe even water/meth injection.
We shall see if it makes any power shortly.

·
Registered
nissan
74 Posts
Marty, Many years ago i was stuffing about with crack pressures trying to up pump pressures with timing etc once i reached 1900psi settled pressures i got the same results as you are seeing, afr's went above 22, turbo would loose boost by a few pounds, couldn't get the motor to load up after 3300rpm on the dyno always felt like it ran out of fuel. The pump i was using was very experimental then with really strange pressures etc. Since then with more conventional 12mm pump settings i have found always to get very old fuel issues when using injector pop pressures above 110 bar 1600psi settled and 28psi boost also timing is extreamly hard to get right with these high crack pressures also springs do seem to break easy..
Just a thought here as you many have played with the injectors or someone has not knowing the issues. Also i have tried heavy springs as well from a volvo marine engine which has simular size injector springs. But the issue still happened due to different operating mean pump pressures..

hey old mav I'm playing with the injectors and a custom 12mm pump at the moment at work for my td42 I'm getting some of the same problems u describe on the dyno I'm getting a lot of boost drop off I'm going to post my dyno results soon

·
Registered
nissan
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #808
So, after a clutch change through the week because the twin plate I had in it gave up on me, I finally have some numbers.
Still plenty to do, current turbo really wasn't designed for this application and it is causing some issues top end.
I'll work on that though.
The good news, I did 20-25 pulls today at 1000nm plus, woo hoo.
Best I got out of it was 264.4rwkw and 1063nm.
For all the girls, its 16.7:1 AFR at peak torque, and 15:1 coming on boost, 42psi or so, with some issues causing it to drop to 39psi top end. I will sort that out in the coming weeks.
It has 1000nm at 2000rpm and drops back under 1000nm at about 2500rpm or so.
At this stage, peak power is at 2580-2600rpm

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,200 Posts
this is my favourite thread

·
Registered
nissan
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #811
Hmmm, we might leave the tittle for now, I think it still has some left in it when I sort out a few little teething issues.
And I just found a better run, lol, I forgot about this one.
[email protected] and [email protected]
So far I have achieved 2 of the half a dozen or so goals I set myself with this engine, unfortunately, I just cannot leave something alone, LOL.

·
Registered
nissan
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #812
Nice. When does the stud and girdle kit hit the market if not already ?
It kind of is already.
Just been doing them in house.
Girdle, caps, studs.
While I get the plate laser cut, the rest I do by hand, very time consuming unfortunately, and can get expensive.
My block alone, with the UFI liners , girdle, caps, studs and machining (line boring and torque plate honing, I had separate torque plates made for boring and honing the parent bores, and have another for final hone of the fitted liners), ready to go would cost what most people consider a good price for a full engine rebuild.

Reactions: sime

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,200 Posts
What are the goals with this current abuse? Obviously testing the cams, but what are you aiming to achieve from it?

Obviously there is some great results there already, but I assume you want more, as you always do

·
Registered
nissan
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #815
Hmmmm, the Di head.
So much work involved. Its still sitting there, but personally not overly high on my list of things to develop. I think everyone when looking at, or thinking of the advantages compares it to the FTE, when it should in fact be compared to a HDT. And the HDT engine is no upgrade from our TD42.
For the time, effort, and money required to do a Di head on a TD42, I think all that effort could be better spent developing something that suits current TD42's in a basic bolt on application, within reason.

I built this engine to test, showcase product, and to try some ideas.
It wasn't about making all out power, yes big numbers are great, but they are useless without drive ability. While I set myself some pretty hefty targets, it had to do it nicely, and be able to be driven like any other Patrol out there, which it does.
My best previous torque was [email protected] from memory, that came with 238rwkw, was fun to drive. Power delivery while reasonably smooth, it could still be little harsh at times. Was a pleasure to drive.
My previous best rwkw was 250.6rwkw, hmmm @ 3200rpm possibly from memory, and that had [email protected] I think. Still great to drive, pulled great all the way through, but that 50 odd nm drop was a killa for me, once you have that, you dont want to give it up.
What I have at the minute drives better than any of the previous, soooo much smoother power application, and while numbers look similar at certain rpm points, when you graph the results by time, it is chalk and cheese.
the 1081nm run hits peak torque 2sec earlier in the run at a extra 50rpm roughly, than my previous best 981nm run.
A couple of goals I set myself I have already meet, and exceeded.
1000nm-done (best so far 1081nm)
[email protected] done (best so far 209rwkw)
I still have some work to do though, I need to iron out a few little things.
Dont get me wrong, I am wrapped with the results so far, and think it might exceed my expectations.

A run I did last night, peak torque is under 2200rpm, and peak power at about 2600rpm, all in a very usable rev range, absolutely no need to rev the ring out of this thing, but it does rev to 5000rpm very easily and smoothly.

·
Registered
nissan gq
437 Posts
They are great results mate, as you say hard to justify spending time on the DI head with performance like that.

cheers jim

·
Registered
Nissan
64 Posts
Out of curiosity what is involved and what is needed to increase the governor safely or why it would be done? I'm asking because I have a silvertop that had been rebuilt and had a 10mm pump with a larger cam plate on the car when I bought it and I believe it revved to 5000+. My tacho didn't work at the time as it was converted and the converter module wasn't set properly but it would rev to about 3400 and current 4600 governor showed about 3200 or so. So it's just a guess what it revved to but it was definitely higher then 4600.

·
Registered
nissan
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #818
You can play with governor plenty to achieve different things, typically though, with modded pumps, increased rpm is due to loss of control of the governor.

But, you can you can loose control and have plenty of rpm at little load, as that takes little fuel.
Increasing rpm with load, and having excess fuel to accelerate the engne to that rpm, the have it cut fuel at a rpm is another story.
I have fuel cut at 5200rpm, controlled, it doesn't just stop there because I run out of fuel to make power to accelerate the engine at load.
RPM can be advantageous when wheel speed is require, great when stuck in mud, sand and you just want to send it, lol.

·
Registered
Nissan
64 Posts
You can play with governor plenty to achieve different things, typically though, with modded pumps, increased rpm is due to loss of control of the governor.

But, you can you can loose control and have plenty of rpm at little load, as that takes little fuel.
Increasing rpm with load, and having excess fuel to accelerate the engne to that rpm, the have it cut fuel at a rpm is another story.
I have fuel cut at 5200rpm, controlled, it doesn't just stop there because I run out of fuel to make power to accelerate the engine at load.
RPM can be advantageous when wheel speed is require, great when stuck in mud, sand and you just want to send it, lol.
If it was a loss of control would it always be governed at the same rpm as it appeared to be?
If it was intentional does it effect fuel delivery aside from rpm above 4100-4600 and what must be done to safely increase the governor keeping in mind its a silvertop which I believe were governed at 4100

·
Registered
nissan
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #820
The other weekend i tried a few different turbo configurations only to go backwards.
Still all based on the UFI TD05M tubine wheel.
Yesterday, I was machining up a couple of different turbine housings to try some different turbine wheels, when it occurred to me that I hadn't tried our 23L compressor wheel yet.
The TD05M 23L is what we supply to guys wanting 300hp and above.
I had been using the older 23C compressor wheel.
Compressor wheels are the same size, so they interchange easily enough. The 23L is just the latest version with a different configuration to the compressor wheel.
I really wasn't expecting to much change, so just strapped it on the dyno, didn't hook up the boost or AFR cause, well, it was hot, been a long day and I was in a hurry to go jump in the pool.

To my surprise, it made 1115nm and 276rwkw, woo hoo.
Just some points of interest on the dyno sheet that are hard to pick up by looking at it.

175rwkw @ 1874rpm
200rwkw @ 1955rpm
223.8rwkw @ 2038rpm (300hp)
250rwkw @ 2160rpm
275rwkw @ 2476rpm.
1000nm from 1972rpm to 2615rpm.
still has 265rwk @ 3200rpm, this is where some fuel cut starts to take place in the pump.
Peak boost by my gauge was 43psi
Pre turbo pyro hit a max of 804degC roughly. ( its a bit hard to keep a eye on all the things going on)

Economy wise, it used 87lt to do 643km running to and from work and a few errands through the day, no dyno time in that.

To be honest, I don't think I can squeeze much more out of it.
I will try and find my spare high ratio rockers again today that are somewhere, and if I find them, I will replace the broken one, and have another crack and see what it does.

I am pretty happy with where it is at at the minute, and a normal person would just leave it be and enjoy it.
But, lol, i just cant leave things alone.

801 - 820 of 872 Posts