Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

841 - 860 of 872 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #841
LOL, yeah no extra case pressure required.
My pump at idle is much quieter than some on the market.

·
Registered
nissan
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #843
Bit of playing Friday night on the dyno for some week ending stress relief.
Changed my turbo configuration around, much larger turbine side of things than I would normally use.
Idea really was try and tame things down a bit, while fixing some turbine flow issues, was a bit of a fail in taming 5things down department. It still responds very well, about the same as my previous std stroke engine with a much smaller 21L fitted.
My new twin plate sprung center clutch, which is much nicer, simply from a noise perspective (it is not quiet by any means) doesn't really hold the torque I was hoping.
It is fun though, flywheel, and complete clutch assemble weighs 14.3kg, so engine is very responsive.
Pretty much limited to around 1060-1080nm, terrible problem to have I know.
Backed a heap of boost out of it, even below 30psi it was till putting down low 260rwkw and 1000nm plus numbers.
Settled at 35psi for 1030nm and 265rwkw for the time being. Only revving it to 3000rpm, never actually tried pushing it above that to be honest, much to several peoples disgust LOL.
I am working on a new comp wheel to try, while I may have fixed a few turbine flow issues I am now pretty much out of compressor wheel I feel.

·
Registered
nissan
11,102 Posts
bet thats fun to drive. 265kw is a pretty stonking figure.
do you feel that 300rwkw is doable and do you feel current setup would be reliable or its just a push the envelope engine.

·
Registered
nissan
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #846
Haven't finished my new intake manifold, still using the one I built many years ago.

Hmmm, 300rwkw is a big ask I think for our idi 2 valve head on a daily driver with decent drive ability, the ****ta did do 293rwkw with the big single on it, not what I would call streetable though.
I have a shipment of new factory heads showing up this week, I have been waiting on them to start a doing a full CNC ported head program, the hold up has been securing a consistent supply of new genuine castings to do this, which I now have. Also have a supply now for new genuine blocks, these are around a month away still.
The supply is slow, but it is there.
Spare time will be the liming factor here, as unfortunately, these days I don't get a lot to tinker.

The above was with some water injection, no meth, so with some meth added, some bit fancier fuel, I think 280rwkw could be achieved, but that would be about it.
The other interesting thing here is the pump is as it came off the bench, haven't touched one thing with it, other than some static timing, there could possibly be some more in it if I started fiddling.
My only tuning, as such, to date has been gate control. Very important and often over looked aspect.

·
Registered
nissan
238 Posts
Yeah....Bump...……………..whats been happening Bambill?

·
Registered
nissan
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #849
Severe lack of time is all that has happened at present.
Work has been hectic with the COVID craze going on, I have a few different products at various stages of development that also takes up a lot of time.

I have 2 exhaust ports to finish in my head. Then It needs to be sent off to have the seats changed and cut. Then off to the CNC guys for some scanning and machining.
Once all that is done I will send it to have some coating done.
When I get it on, the W/M system will be changed up a bit. It will have 2 independent systems fitted, one for the pre turbo, and the other will be direct port.
You know, silly complicated **** with 2 pumps, 2 controllers etc etc
Could be a while before I get the new head on it.
Not sure if I mentioned it, but my last twin plate clutch failed, smashed the retainer for the sprung centre drive hub so back to the solid setup for the time being, I will need to find a better setup however.

·
Registered
nissan
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #852 (Edited)
With everything going on last year, time was in very short supply.
It took me over 12mths to get a new head finished for Bitsa. Its not exactly how i wanted it in the end, simply because I wanted to drive it again, and with Christmas coming up, I simply ran out of time to do a few things.
My intention was to get everything I could possibly get coated, coated, this did not happen, I also intended to run some direct port W/M injection, this did not happen either.

My engine is purpose built at a rather low compression for an IDI engine, 17.7:1, only issues this presents is starting, just need to glow it 2-3 times. Other than that the engine does everything very nicely.
Fuel economy is great for what it is etc etc.
My new head has a few ideas going on, one being the use oversize valves simply for the reason it allowed me to run bigger throat diameters and totally opposite valve seat angle arrangement than is typically thought to be ideal for a low revving diesel, e.g. my actual seat angle is 49deg.
This new head also has extra coolant holes drilled into it and a few other things going on.
My intention when I fixed it was to run the same test BB TD05 based turbo I have been running for the 4yrs or so. Mind you, this turbo had gone through many many compressor wheel changes and being a little impatient when testing at times I never balance them when I just swap wheels over, its not like I am concerned if I break it, I have spares if need be. But Tuesday arvo I did break the turbo, pity, it was rather responsive for the size it was.
I just happened to have a bigger turbo, intention was to run this at some stage and see what power figure I could actually make, I wasn't concerned with not hitting one of my goals of 1000+nm with it, as long as it made power.
Tuesday night, I did actually do some runs to 4000rpm on diesel only, never done this before, motor was never built to run diesel only. Surprise surprise, I did a few runs at highish 800nm and peak power rather high in the rpm for a TD, like 250rwkw at 3998rpm on a couple of runs, bit of gate adjustment and lowish 900nm and 250 odd rwkw at 3200rpm.
I was happy with that as a base.
Filled the W/M tank yesterday arvo and got the boys to do a base run for me to 3000rpm while I was answering phone and next minute they are in my office happy but kind of concerned.
To all of our surprise it made 292rwkw and 1030nm by 3000rpm, power still going up, but the engine shut itself down, OOPS.
Luckily it was just the lift pump losing power (must fix this one day, its really not good for my pump).
They didn't want to run it anymore so I jumped in, reset dyno to do a run to 3300rpm and made a small adjustment to the W/M.
302rwkw @ 2963rpm, and 1072nm @ 2344rpm.
WOW, to be honest, I never thought that was even possible for what it is, its a daily driver/tourer, like New Years day just for the hell of it I went for a drive and did 1200km or so just for something to do.
Sooo Happy Days for now I guess.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,211 Posts
So am I to change the 2 to a 3 in the thread title?

Congrats on the achievement BTW, would love to see a video of it being given a full foot

Reactions: Marko_SJ

·
Registered
nissan
11,102 Posts
wonder how that poor crank is holding up. i assume its billet but will it handle it?
if the crank is the only weakness in the persuit of higher kw its a worthy change.
although the bitsa head sounds interesting.

·
Premium Member
601 Posts
I suppose it's still wearing a girdle so should help pull it into line.
, I'd love to have a Squiz at that head also, great work

·
Registered
nissan
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #856
So am I to change the 2 to a 3 in the thread title?

Congrats on the achievement BTW, would love to see a video of it being given a full foot
Well, I am kinda lost to be honest, I am not sure of any targets now, but guess that would look cool LOL.

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,200 Posts
You got 300Kw so the goal is now 350 so i have changed the title to reflect a goal.
You are now entering Cummins power levels litre/litre compared.
unopened cummins maybe...

·
SUI GENERIS UTE
GQ Ute 1990 Silvertop
6,037 Posts
unopened cummins maybe...
The best power recorded for a Cummins using a VE injector pump exactly the same body as we have is 650 Hp ringing it neck so thats 110 Hp / litre
Marty is using a VE pump so apples with apples for 400 Hp so thats 95 Hp / litre.
So Marty need 462 Hp to equal the very best recorded 6BT Cummins.
Added to that this 650 Hp 6BT is using compound turbos with 45+psi, Marty is using a single turbo single volute.
So to compare a single turbo 6BT using a VE IP i have seen 550 Hp recorded which is the same 95 Hp / litre.
Most of the big power VE pumped 6BT with higher recorded power are using Nos.

Its only the massive P pump or inline pump with no internal timing advance that gets over 1000 Hp and smokes worse than a bush fire and idles like a over camed race fuelled rail engine.

841 - 860 of 872 Posts