Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I think once you’re in a position where you need to start explaining to a Police officer that your tyres are within the 7% rule, you’re probably past the point where they’ve checked what was factory fitted on your VIN. So unless someone categorically states that they got away after being pulled over with a replacement tyre placard, I think you live in a fool’s paradise if you think that’s going to get you off the hook.

As with most mods that are borderline, it’s more about flying under the radar than whether you need engineering or not. The more obvious the change (e.g. having to resort to non-factory flares) the bigger the chance of you getting pulled over, the better your back story needs to be, preferably with some backup paperwork.

Nissan AUS actually did everyone a massive favour by developing accessory flares for D23 Navara. You can sneak some wheels and tyres in under the guards with a track that is waaaay wider than what’s allowed under state modification guidelines, without attracting any attention.
You're right there. I never really wanted to be in that position, but perhaps I never will because of the "subculture" of many ranger drivers. Mine with it's 33s, 60mm track increase and no lift is categorically subtle by comparison.
In any case, I will certainly get those slim flares I linked above asap. They protrude even less than the factory option offered by Ford (EGR brand), so will stand out even less.

In other news... I had the Ranger out for it's first camping trip. Forgot to take any photos of it in the wild but here's the pack job. Not bad considering my only storage solution are the factory tie down points. Hardkorr battery box was a good purchase. Borrowed a bigger safari tent from a mate as I'm dogsitting and wouldn't have space in the swag for two of us and two dogs.

Tire Car Vehicle Plant Vehicle registration plate

Even though I do like the soft tonneau, I'm looking into a different solution. I'd like to be able to store a a couple things (double swag especially) on top of the tub, while retaining the ability to run it as an open tub. So that rules out hard lids and canopies.

I can potentially look at getting the soft tonneau modified to take a couple crossbars, but I suspect that will be a headache and potentially as expensive as buying something purpose built.

Right now I am considering a roller shutter with crossbars. Double swag on top of the crossbars. Underneath will be a fridge (no slide) and a single drawer. That would suit me fine.

This water tank looks interesting too

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
1,295 Posts
This water tank looks interesting too
One thing to keep in mind regarding water tanks in poly is that tank i saw in your supplied link is whats called "natural" colour for the polyethylene, if the tank is going to be subject to any sunlight i would not get that particular colour otherwise you will end up with pond water. Go for black then your water will stay crystal clear.
Im really quiet surprised that a poly manufacturer is advertising any water tank in natural.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
12,171 Posts
Good looking ute, I swapped over to a BT50 back in 2018.
I found an original tub liner on gumtree for $50 which has been brilliant.
I regretfully put a canopy on , but it does have it’s good points too.
You’ve opened my eyes to tyre options.
My car came with 265/65/17 as standard.
Once the original tyres wear out , I’m going to look at the 285’s or at least 265/70/17
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2016 Y61 GUX Wagon
366 Posts
Hey Jack, that's definitely a good lookin rig...for a basic bitch dual cab. ;)

My brother picked up a 2016 ranger a few months ago so i'll be watching your build with great interest. we spent a day putting in some roadsafe recovery points and a catch can.

I'd avoid putting a roller cover on, they really eat into your storage space in the tub, don't offer any wiggle room and can't be (as) easily removed. A soft cover and tub racks (if they can happen at the same time) is where i'd be angling my attention.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hey Jack, that's definitely a good lookin rig...for a basic bitch dual cab. ;)

My brother picked up a 2016 ranger a few months ago so i'll be watching your build with great interest. we spent a day putting in some roadsafe recovery points and a catch can.

I'd avoid putting a roller cover on, they really eat into your storage space in the tub, don't offer any wiggle room and can't be (as) easily removed. A soft cover and tub racks (if they can happen at the same time) is where i'd be angling my attention.
Cheers yeah good advice about the roller. I think the soft cover with removable tub racks is the way to go. Soft covers are underrated I think! It's I suppose not as secure, but someone would have to be dead keen and start cutting the thing open if they really wanted what's inside.

The soft tonneau and tub rack option isn't something that's available off the shelf, but is certainly possible. They are often cut to accommodate various sport bars and apparently still let very little dust/moisture in.

Only issue is my current softcover probably isn't suitable as it's a clamp on affair, which makes modifying the side rails more difficult, requires more clamps etc. It was only $100 so no dramas if I need to sell it and get another. I'm also now coming to terms with the thought of drilling holes into the tub itself, which will open up a few possibilities.

Good looking ute, I swapped over to a BT50 back in 2018.
I found an original tub liner on gumtree for $50 which has been brilliant.
I regretfully put a canopy on , but it does have it’s good points too.
You’ve opened my eyes to tyre options.
My car came with 265/65/17 as standard.
Once the original tyres wear out , I’m going to look at the 285’s or at least 265/70/17
Cheers

I did think of doing a tub liner but was already a tight squeeze to get the fridge under there, so I didn't want to lose any more space.
So yes your placard opens you up to 285/70/17 legally. Whether they require a lift or any more serious modifications I don't know. Worth a shot though!

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Car Vehicle Automotive design Motor vehicle Personal luxury car

Hot topic!!
Divisive!!
Controversial!!

I absolutely love this iDrive EVC throttle controller thing.
In fact, I will confidently say that my journey of engine mods on the ranger is officially over.

Now I was once the kind of person who said "Just use your foot". I understand now that it's not that simple.
The 3.2 is a great motor with plenty of go, but the lag was at best annoying and at worst dangerous.
A few weeks ago I had a moment where I needed to zip off quickly after having a bit of a misjudgement in a roundabout. I stamped down hard on the go pedal and it was still a solid moment before I actually took off. The lag was there no matter how quickly or deeply you hit that pedal.

That issue has been completely resolved by the throttle controller.

It really does remind me of the first drive out of ECPT after having the Patrol tuned. Anyone who's done work on a ZD then had a tune will know what I mean. Night and day difference.

There's 1-9 options in both "ultimate" and "economy", and also an auto setting.
I'm still playing around with it, but the U-3 setting is so far my preference. U-9 felt like I would accidentally launch the thing into a wall.
I even dropped it right down to E-1 the other day when I was driving up a steep rocky trail. Having a soft, gentle pedal on that terrain was perfect. I actually wish I had this on the patrol, specifically for economy modes off-road.

Yes I fully understand that I have not gained any more power or torque. However the drivability has changed considerably. I think as Patrol (more specifically zd30) owners, we can appreciate that engine mods are not about numbers or graphs on a page, but how responsive and drivable you can make your ride.

I've come from a bit of experience with dirt bikes, where both throttle tamers, and (the exact opposite) quick turn throttles are acceptable mods depending on preference and requirements. In fact, lots of the euro manufacturers like KTM/Husky/Sherco and probably others incorporate mapping switches from factory these days. Awesome tech that I had on one of my dirt bikes.

I don't really know if the iDrive is equivalent to a throttle map switch, but I can say that the end result is very similar.

Very happy considering it was $199 and took about 3 minutes to install.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
3,533 Posts
View attachment 538263

Hot topic!!
Divisive!!
Controversial!!

In fact, I will confidently say that my journey of engine mods on the ranger is officially over.

Now I was once the kind of person who said "Just use your foot". I understand now that it's not that simple.
The 3.2 is a great motor with plenty of go, but the lag was at best annoying and at worst dangerous.
A few weeks ago I had a moment where I needed to zip off quickly after having a bit of a misjudgement in a roundabout. I stamped down hard on the go pedal and it was still a solid moment before I actually took off. The lag was there no matter how quickly or deeply you hit that pedal.

It really does remind me of the first drive out of ECPT after having the Patrol tuned. Anyone who's done work on a ZD then had a tune will know what I mean. Night and day difference.

I'm still playing around with it, but the U-3 setting is so far my preference. U-9 felt like I would accidentally launch the thing into a wall.
I even dropped it right down to E-1 the other day when I was driving up a steep rocky trail. Having a soft, gentle pedal on that terrain was perfect. I actually wish I had this on the patrol, specifically for economy modes off-road.

Yes I fully understand that I have not gained any more power or torque. However the drivability has changed considerably. I think as Patrol (more specifically zd30) owners, we can appreciate that engine mods are not about numbers or graphs on a page, but how responsive and drivable you can make your ride.

I've come from a bit of experience with dirt bikes, where both throttle tamers, and (the exact opposite) quick turn throttles are acceptable mods depending on preference and requirements. In fact, lots of the euro manufacturers like KTM/Husky/Sherco and probably others incorporate mapping switches from factory these days. Awesome tech that I had on one of my dirt bikes.

I don't really know if the iDrive is equivalent to a throttle map switch, but I can say that the end result is very similar.

Interesting comment about the E-1 setting when going off-road. A lot of new 4x4’s with “terrain select” features will adjust throttle response based on the terrain you select. Seems like you just added terrain response to the Franga. ;)

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,984 Posts
My understanding of your throttle doodad, is that it is pretty simple. On a standard ECU controlled throttle, quite often any designated pedal position, say 25% as an example, is not actually 25% at the throttle body. The ECU will vary this to provide smooth inputs. So your 25% pedal might be only 15% at the throttle body. Your doodad allows you to change this, hence giving the ability to improve response.

·
Registered
2016 Y61 GUX Wagon
366 Posts
View attachment 538263

Hot topic!!
Divisive!!
Controversial!!

I too have an iDrive doodad in the patrol.

The economy mode is EXACTLY the reason I bought one. I found the stock throttle response to be way too touchy when trying to navigate with precision, and the idrive allows it to be softened out. The previous owner of my patrol installed a DTE Pedalbox, which only has the go-fast options, so was wholey unsuitable for precision works.

I've found the Auto mode to be pretty darn good for everyday driving.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Are you going to put a dual battery set up in?
We have these at work now
F

Fits behind the back seat or in the back

I do already have an N70 AGM from the Patrol, and I picked up a Hardkorr battery box just to get me going. I would definitely like to go lithium and I a slim battery behind the back seat is an appealing option. I'm hoping to stick with the soft tonneau for now and I'm hesitant to put expensive 12v gear in the tub. If anything, I'd like to get the fridge on the back seat again. That was an absolute winner on the patrol

Main issue I see is that many of the back seat battery trays such as the popular Kickass one are generic fit. So they require a surprising amount of cutting, drilling and grinding to make work with whatever vehicle.
That quantum one there looks like it would need a bit of a custom mount to hold in place. I reckon a bit of ply mounted to factory bolts, then just screwing the quantum bracket into the ply would do the trick.

In the meantime, I think i'll just run this AGM in the tub until it's dead. I found this mob that do some great laser cut aussie made battery trays that are specific to both vehicle AND battery box. The Hardkorr one makes use of a bit of tricky space in the tub

And they do slim mounts for baintech, custom lithium etc specific to the ranger backseat with NO drilling or cutting required. Pretty slick

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Got some Bedrock liners and returned them immediately. Bad fit. Smooth bottom surface slides around on the carpet, causing rattles.
Apparently it improves after being in the sun for a while but honestly I was so unimpressed I couldn’t get rid of them fast enough.
also the whole Fred Flintson motif did nothing for me.

picked up these trufit 3D “kagu” mats instead. Perfect fit. Good deep buckets. Underside is a bit like Velcro, so sticks to the carpet like **** to a blanket. Still lifts out easy for hosing off.

two thumbs up!! 👍 👍

Hood Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design

Car Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Tread

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
1,628 Posts
View attachment 538263

Hot topic!!
Divisive!!
Controversial!!

What do you ride?
I still ride my '10 200EXC. Owned from new, have swamped it twice in Kamfari mud (no, not racing).

Taking it out Sunday if the rain stays away.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I'm admittedly not all that into the bigger, more expensive mods. Youtube guys doing rare engine swaps, portal axles and all that stuff... I'm pretty apathetic toward it all. Maybe because it's so unattainable? I don't know.

To me, a "perfect" mod would be the following
  • Cheap
  • Creative / novel
  • Look the part
  • And above all... practical!

Ok so with that out of the way, let me set the stage.
The EGR tonneau I got off gumtree for $100 has been fantastic. It can't be opened without opening the tailgate first, which means it "locks" with the car. Obviously it's vulnerable to a stanley knife, but then again, so is a roller shutter.
None of the other soft tonneaus on the market have this locking feature, so anyone can walk up and open them up.

HOWEVER, those other soft tonneaus have a great feature which is an integrated bungee cord for carrying oversized loads. Here's a diagram to explain it
Automotive lighting Rectangle Automotive exterior Automotive design Serveware

Unfortunately there's no locking tonneaus that also have the bungee cord thing. I keep running into the same issue where I'm trying to carry a couch or something bulky and my tonneau won't secure it. The law says everything must be secured, so this was getting a little annoying as I'm doing a lot of tip runs while renovating this house. I've been carrying tie down straps but I thought there had to be a better way!

SO! I drilled an 8.5mm hole right through the back end of the tonneau. There's a thin steel/ally plate running widthwise at the back of the tonneau which I punched straight through

Finger Metal Button Fashion accessory Jewellery

Then I dropped an M8 20mm dome head bolt through with a washer. Black of course.

Water Grey Wood Floor Flooring

Then an M8 stainless eye nut and washer on the underside

Automotive lighting Automotive design Wood Automotive exterior Vehicle door

Tested with a bulky piece of junk

Tree Wood Plant Gas Shade

Any bungee cord will do, but I had some "Rok Straps" lying around which are the best bungees on the market IMO. Half stretchy, half standard webbing. If the load shifts while moving, the bungee keeps things taut.

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Anyway that's my rant about my silly little mod for the day. Cost all of about 30 minutes and 800 cents at bunnings

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
What do you ride?
I still ride my '10 200EXC. Owned from new, have swamped it twice in Kamfari mud (no, not racing).

Taking it out Sunday if the rain stays away.
Currently nothing. Last bike was a husky 350 which was about as perfect a dirt bike as I can imagine owning. Had motard wheels too which was unbelievably fun way to get to work. Got stolen and the insurance money went to the patrol pretty much. Haven’t looked much at bikes since. I had a DRZ400 before that (meh), and an XR400 that I wish I never sold. Beautiful bike that was.

if I get another it may be more adv style. Even a Dr650 would suit me fine

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Automotive parking light

VERY bloody happy with today.
Piak bar is on. Even chucked in a kings winch which a mate gave me basically for free.
I love this bar. Looks great. A bit modern without being over the top. Full protection with the hoops. Comes with front bash plate and recovery points built in.

also sits nice and tight to the body. Only other bar I considered was the ARB which pokes out very far.

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Plant

With the weight of the bar and winch it only dropped the front by 10mm. So I STILL get away with 33s on no lift with no scrub. Very happy about that.

Also I asked the bloke if he could tuck the winch control box out of the way which he did perfectly. Can’t even see it. Controller port is tucked in behind the grill. Completely hidden but easy access. Perfect

Hood Grille Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire

icing on the cake is this winch isolator switch and bracket from scrub king. Sits right next to the battery mounted to an empty factory bolt hole. Love it!
Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Toy

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Ronny Dahl is selling the hilux. He says he’s going to explain why in a video after he sells it.

Im making an official prediction! It's to do with the gearing. He mentioned that he wouldn’t recommend the 33s on his hilux as it runs away on off-road hill descents in 1st gear.

did a bit of digging and found the transmission ratios...

The current hilux 6 speed auto aisin AC60E has a first gear ratio of 3.60:1
The current ranger 6 speed auto 6R80 has a first gear ratio of 4.17:1
That's a massive difference. It's something so critical, yet something that 99% of auto "journalists" will never mention in reviews.
The 33s have been great on the ranger. Steep downhills in 1st gear low are fine. I actually like using the downhill assist braking controller too. Engine speeds at 110 are great. Still averaging single digits for fuel consumption per 100 too. Fantastic.

So to make 33" tyres work on a hilux (and probably other dual cabs) you need the following
  • Body mount chop/welding
  • Engineering
  • 2" suspension lift
  • Regearing (if even possible?)
The same tyres go straight on the stock ranger. Didn't get any photos of the wheel lifts the other day, but can confirm definitely no scrubbing off road either. Not even against the factory mudflaps. Love that

Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Land vehicle

I know the ranger 6 speed transmission has a rep for blowing up, but my understanding is that it's due to high temps from heavy towing.
Totally mitigated by trans cooler and valve body upgrades. The 6R80 has been used for many years in Mustangs and F-150s with up to 6.2L V8 engines. I do believe Ford Australia should have at least offered a "tow package" including an upgraded trans cooler, but I don't think the gearbox itself is the issue.

Anyway just some thoughts for the day

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
If you look a few posts ago you can see the tub looking pretty rough... especially for a car I still consider brand new.

Took to it with a sander and a wire brush....

Tire Vehicle Plant Motor vehicle Car

And then like magic!!

Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire

Actually I managed to break my hand, plus with the non-stop rain and nowhere dry to do the painting, I bit the bullet and paid a local guy to finish the job for me. I'm glad he did a great job. He was glad I did all the prep. Win win

Automotive tire Hood Wood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

I must say, this raptor coat is phenomenal stuff.

You'll also note the EGR tailgate dust seal kit installed. Should somewhat limit the dust vacuum effect from having 1 inch gaps all around the tailgate. Great kit. EGR seem to make quality gear

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Plant Car

the basic build continues!
17mm form ply in two halves, held together with marine carpet.
Yep I stuffed up that left corner! Dunno how I did that but oh well

Picked up a 1200 long XTM single drawer off marketplace for a song. I’ve had the kings drawers in the past and this XTM drawer is far better. Actually quite impressed with it

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Hood

and after careful measuring I ended up with a 90L kings dual zone fridge. While I don’t normally entertain kings electronics, this fridge was the perfect dimensions. Also with a secop compressor the same as my dometic, a 5 year warranty, and an unbeatable price, I couldn’t say no. I think it’s actually a step above the likes of oztrail and brass monkey, while still being half the price of a similarly sized dometic or Engel. Time will tell!
I also got the titan fridge slide to go with it. Works well.

and unfortunately this setup required a new battery box as the hardkorr one ended up about 15mm too wide. Got a kings maxi box which will work fine. Also future proofs me to upgrade to a 150ah lithium that I have discovered will fit.

Drawer, fridge, slide and battery box side by side
Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Car

everything fits with just a few mm to spare! Glad my measurements worked out

Mode of transport Track Parallel Railway Tints and shades

Tire Vehicle Plant Automotive tire Tree

Automotive tire Rectangle Wood Grey Fixture

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Bumper

Attachments

21 - 40 of 50 Posts