Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi all
Ive been around here a bit but just haven't had the time to get right into things , do big build threads etc.
So its about time I do one.
I used to own this old girl.
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/members-rides-19/5-0-maverick-ongoing-tale-60035/

Well being used offroad and the big killer of GQ's (rust) took its toll on the old girl bad , so I decided to rebody it.
Doing the new body turned into a major rebuild project that I was getting stuck into until I was injured at work.
Feeling sore and sorry for myself with a busted up left shoulder and right knee , I fell victim to a very bad bout of depression and before I knew it 6 months had passed and I had not turned a spanner on the old girl.

Well with the help of a really good doctor , my wonderful wife , a great physc and some great friends Im on the mend and started to get on with life.

A big part of getting better was clearing up old deadwood and getting out of my former work environment as it was a somewhat toxic place to be.
So I took a redundancy package that was offered , sold my old V8 Ford AU ute , put a 9" grinder through the old Maverick and bought this.
http://www.patrol4x4.com/forum/patrol-sale-43/1998-nissan-patrol-gu-st-nsw-163097/

I picked it up for $8500 and was happy with it initially. I soon worked out but there is only one thing worse with a 4x4 then someone who has no idea. Someone who has some half an idea.
When I picked it up I was calling it the poo truck , but a good mate who gave me a lift to get it decided to call it the blurple. So its now known as the blurple pootruck and its stuck.

Within the first fortnight of picking it up a couple of things went wrong.............lol

Front wheels bearings collapsed. Next to no grease in them will do that.
Front brake pads delaminated. Rears were stuffed as well so they got changed at the same time.
Cranking battery died , closely followed by the second battery.
Muffler collapsed internally on a trip out west which caused the cat to melt.
Radiator top hose connector snapped off.
Whilst having a wheel alignment the rear steering arm nearly snapped in 2 when they went to adjust it due to internal rust.

There is many more wonderful things that have come up and kept me on my toes and my wallet empty.
I shall update the thread bit by bit with what I have done to it so far and whats happening next.
The next major work is removing the 4.5 and fitting an AU XR8 5.0 using all of my old Maverick conversion gear.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any updates mate? pretty eager to see how this conversion goes!
Had heaps on lately and just haven't had the time to justify spending on it.
Been doing some running repairs when the wheel decided to part company and the awesome setup on the rear swaybar disconnect done by the previous owner decided to snap going around a bend at 100kmh.

After Christmas it will be getting the 5.0 put in it.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Missed this when you posted it. Sorry to hear you had those dramas (personal and with the new rig) but sounds like you are powering on now. I'll look forward to updates :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cheers for the kind words.
Well I suppose I should put up a bit of a background of where I currently am with it and where we are heading.

This is the night I picked it up.
At that time I was absolutely over the moon with it apart from a couple of little issues.

First job was fitting up my Lightforce blitz 240's. They are old now but still a tops light.
Drove up to my bests mates house to visit and show him the new ride and roped him into chucking them one with me............lol

Within a couple of days I found that both the main battery and second battery for rooted from a lack of use. $700 later got that sorted out.
Then the radiator let go , steering arms shat themselves and the KM2's were terribly noisy even for muds.

So a trip to snake racing saw new heavy duty drag link and steering arms.

I went a bit mental on ebay and bought weather shields , headlight protectors , had the windows tinted and found a set of 16x8 alloys fitted with 315/75 16 MTZ's.

The old girl at home after getting some goodies.

Took it for a camping trip to a mates property outwest to find it was gutless and massively thirsty and that the exhaust had rotted out ,again from lack of use and the muffler and cat was blocked.
Well in trying to get the 4.5 to go ok (where I would be happy with it) before doing a conversion , I bought extractors , a high flow cat and built myself a 3" mandrel bent exhaust for it.

The exhaust is totally my own fabrication. Closest it is to an exhaust shop job is that's where the parts come from.

Then I fitted up an injected LPG system , fitted a 2000W pure sine wave invertor , a new stereo and 80 Oricom UHF and took my long suffering wife on a road trip to Victoria.
This is the old girl down at Phillip Island.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On that trip I decided that 35's on it sucked.
Even when towing I like to have power on the freeway. If I want to overtake , I want to do it now!
As soon as I got back to Sydney a set of 305 70 16 Maxxis Bighorns were purchased and fitted up.

Well lets just say I shouldn't of trusted that the tyre service would refit the wheels properly...............................

Luckily I was only doing 30km/h at the time going around a corner at the end of my street. The next morning I would of been doing 120 on the freeway.

Dodged up to get home.

A new set of wheels and a full set of studs later (Mullins changed the design slightly. Enough that it would of been real noticeable to have one new design wheel and the rest old design) its back in action.
I still wasn't happy with the performance and since I had my 5.0 Windsor conversion gear still kicking around home from the Maverick I picked this up.

AU Ex Police Option 20 XR8.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also when I first picked it up I fitted all of the Suspension stuff flexi suspension kit from my old Maverick and fitted up to it. The gear had only done about 10000km and works brilliantly so it made sence to switch it over to the next vehicle.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Made a start on it today.

Decided that the minor little bit of extra effort required to take the entire front off is well repaid by not having to worry about scratching and denting panels and also having extra room to work.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had a bit of a bite at it today.

Started out this morning with this.

Did a bit of stripping down and ended up here.
Long ago when dodgy was classed as ok I would of just cut the radiator support panel to do it all easily and then just welded it back in and resoldered the wiring but not this time.
Dodgy is bad.

So this little toy come into play.
After a bit of drilling happily I ended up with the support panel like this and ready to just lift off.
So when I get to it I can just clean all the panels up , apply some rust protection since Nissan didn't see fit to do so and weld it back together just like factory.

After pulling the main wiring harness out from the cab and feeding it back through the engine bay so it didn't get damaged this is where Im up too.
I have some other stuff to get done tomorrow but Im hoping to have a few hours up my sleeve to be able to disconnect the rest of the stuff that needs doing and then lift the old lump out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The old 4.5 is out and waiting to find a new home.
Cleaned up the engine bay a bit and just putting a few things together to start dummy fitting the motor and making engine mounts etc.

·
Registered
Nissan
9 Posts
That 5.0 out of a chaser should go very well I'm tossing up on the same idea bit mines out of a ltd.
I think yours should be 220 kilowatts but it will be underrated being ford and a cop car.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That 5.0 out of a chaser should go very well I'm tossing up on the same idea bit mines out of a ltd.
I think yours should be 220 kilowatts but it will be underrated being ford and a cop car.
When I first did my Maverick I used a 165kw motor from an EB Fairlane. It was bog stock and went very well for what it was.
Im moving this one to the AU setup as they have the better front dress then the E series motor (e series dress is too wide to fit in patrol chassis rails) and with the coil packs and better ECU of the AU along with the better heads and inlet manifold they do go much better and are better on fuel.
Being a series 1 its just a 185kw motor from the XR8. I do have sitting here a Ford motorsport E303 cam , a set of tricked up heads from a T series and another inlet manifold that I am having ported. These parts with a tune should get me up around the 230 odd KW mark with decent fuel economy.
They will go on once engineering is done and emissions test is passed if I get made to do one. It will be engineered as a stocker.
Much further down the track will be a dart block based 347 with some form of forced induction. As I said but much further down the track.
I am going the Windsor instead of the LS as I like to do things differently and I already had most of the gear sitting here and Im familiar with the setup.
It really shouldn't cost that much or take that long to sort out.

·
Registered
Nissan
9 Posts
The heads and cam will definitely get it going. My mates old man had a series 1 au ex chaser and that thing flew and when he was commuting up and down the highway it used no fuel. I tried to buy it a few times but he wouldn't sell it to me. Probably a good thing.

I'm bit of a fan of the Windsor just look at Gary Myers burnout mustang that's only a 347
Can't wait to see this up and running

1 - 16 of 16 Posts