Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it seems Roothy got over his conflict of interest and got the so called "Gang" back together. All Internet based and first DVD orders taken now! E Mag also available! It also seems he has wrangled a few of the usual suspects. :p

My neighbour told me about it after he got the DVD. I've watched it and have to say the quality of the camera work ****s all over 4wda. Funny thing is Gavin and the production chick from 4wda are behind the camera.

I would imagine a few members kids might rejoice as I know a few have missed Roothy! Dronus I'm looking at you. ;) hahahahaha

Here's the link Roothy's LowRange | Roothy's LowRange

Reactions: geordie4x4

·
Registered
nissan
1,671 Posts
Maybe the real reason he left 4WD Action......IMO 4WD Action have been compromised and Roothy was becoming a salesperson for cheap crap, maybe he got jack of that? They fed us a line that he was leaving to put all his time into Don't Lock Up Australia.

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My thoughts exactly!

Still a little dubious, but time will tell with the above. What i do know is there are no breaks or ads during the main feature! Sure there are ads, but they are all at the end and minimal at that! Allan even had a segment on it aswell.

Seems he played it smart hanging on to Milo. It's an icon with new branding. :p

·
Currently in PAD rehab
18,407 Posts
I would imagine a few members kids might rejoice as I know a few have missed Roothy! Dronus I'm looking at you. ;) hahahahaha
Toothy wasn't my favorite, in fact I've still got some of those dvds we didn't bother watching.
Him and Glen... They just didn't come across the same as Graham and that guy with the blue GU from Vic.

Maybe I'm just biased towards the nissans (so are my kids!).

I do applaud toothy for his efforts to keep the tracks open, sadly its mostly too late in SA.. Unless it's a bike track and you are wearing lycra its not a priority for some reason.

Padded from my LG-D855 using Padatalk.

Reactions: MQTray

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
I was excited until I saw MDC are one of the sponsors. 4wda went down hill when they came along.

It would be better if you could download it instead of get posted a DVD to.

Hopefully it will be like roothy from 4wd monthly.

Reactions: guon33s

·
Registered
nissan
4,454 Posts
What ever you think of the old goat he has a following, I too prefer Graham but roothy is fun to watch, I just hope it doesn't turn out the same as the last lot of vids I threw out.

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
Looks like Glenno is the funder of this project. The registered contact address for this joint is Roo Systems.

It's an interesting project. I wonder if 4WDA and Tigerz11's deal with the 4WD Supa Centre may have had anything to do with motivating this breakaway channel?

·
Registered
nissan
388 Posts
All Roothy needs to do now is to get Graham to "jump ship" and join Low Range. That would make a great team. If that happened, I think you will see the slow demise of interest in the 4WD Action dvd's. I think the days of watching people destroying tracks in State Forests & National Parks is quickly coming to an end. These actions are the reasons why tracks get closed.

·
Registered
nissan
631 Posts
i spoke to roothy at mud bulls and he said he left because he was not allowed to use anything but 4wd supa center stuff and it was complete crap! He was sick of putting his name to sh#t. Glen also left (so I heard) because emg (I think) who was selling roo systems stuff also wanted to take over the chip and exhaust side of things. Glen didn't want this and they had a falling out. Thats when Kings suddenly appeared and Glen left the videos. Mdc are on the new videos because someone has to be the money man! Roothy did say to me that Kenny is a massive dick head as he appears on TV but his brother who owns MDC is trying to make something of him.

·
Registered
nissan
438 Posts
I think if they got rid of Ken and got Graham on board with them they would have a great show, even rocket Rod has left the dvds for 4wd action

Cheers
Gav

·
Registered
nissan
107 Posts
4wd Action, always the same trucks with the same club, EMG have shot themselves in the foot and who knows if they'll ever bounce back.
Good luck to Roothy and co, Dan Everett went to Roothy also haha

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,459 Posts
All Roothy needs to do now is to get Graham to "jump ship" and join Low Range. That would make a great team. If that happened, I think you will see the slow demise of interest in the 4WD Action dvd's. I think the days of watching people destroying tracks in State Forests & National Parks is quickly coming to an end. These actions are the reasons why tracks get closed.
Funny you say that.
Caught up with Roothy at Perth 4wd show as him and Graham were planning a catch up for breaks next morning.
Roothy siad himself he just needs to steal Graham and the gangs back together haha.
Even Graham had a laugh.

Agree idea of Kenny being in it really puts me off.
Watching him bounce flat out up tracks with lockers and camper in tow nearly made me turn it off on my 4 year old, till I noticed even my boy was sitting there with his faced screwed up shaking his head, glad to know I taught him well.

Keen to check it out anyway at least once.
Though have noticed Graham getting a lot more publicity of late through darche and with photography with no mention of 4wd action, guess he got lever ridge now being main guy left.

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,657 Posts
I like Roothy and his style of entertainment. Been following him for years before he got involved with the foorby scene. For those that don't know. He is a accomplished motorcycle mag writer and tester. He is as layed back in real life as he is in the dvds. He lives s few minutes from me so I see him around a fair bit. His sheds on his property are enough to keep any man happy as they are chock full of motorbikes and foorbys.
Can't wait to see the new vids expecially since Gavin is behind the camera.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
I like Roothy and his style of entertainment. Been following him for years before he got involved with the foorby scene. For those that don't know. He is a accomplished motorcycle mag writer and tester. He is as layed back in real life as he is in the dvds. He lives s few minutes from me so I see him around a fair bit. His sheds on his property are enough to keep any man happy as they are chock full of motorbikes and foorbys.
Can't wait to see the new vids expecially since Gavin is behind the camera.

that was after he got thrown out of Tibet by the Chinese army and ran out of money courting an Irish girl in Cork
lol

·
Premium Member
2003 ZD30 Di Patrol (The rare Gold one)
25,657 Posts
You obviously don't know him well then.
He started out as a test rider for Two Wheels magazine before working his way up to editor. He then started Live to ride magazine and was the editor there. He has been responsible for several other mag creations. I think that is accomplished.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
2,149 Posts
You obviously don't know him well then.
He started out as a test rider for Two Wheels magazine before working his way up to editor. He then started Live to ride magazine and was the editor there. He has been responsible for several other mag creations. I think that is accomplished.
LoL I was serious. It in his biography

John ‘Roothy’ Rooth is the best known bush mechanic in Australia. His cheeky style of driving, ability to keep an old truck running and comical bush cooking segments for over fifteen years of 4WD Action presentations have earnt him a place in the hearts and minds of Australia’ bush loving demographic. It’s been a long track to the top though. His early years were spent on a sheep station in the Flinders Ranges in the days when all roads north of Adelaide were still dirt. His boyhood mates were the local Adjamanta kids and his passion was machinery. After leaving school he worked as a bridge carpenter in country NSW before a broken arm – motorcycling! – and Gough Whitlam’s government saw him go to university to study Australian History. He supported himself maintaining mining machinery on weekends and fixing bikes during the week. A year’s high school teaching followed and then back to the bush, this time prospecting for opal and gold. John and his brother Nick kicked off a company called RBM, Rooth Brothers Mining, possibly Australia’s worst run business but a whole lot of travel and fun!
Those bush years saw plenty of job experience including driving and maintaining harvesters, running a shearing team (and filling in for the cook), shooting feral pigs for the German market and filling in for the primary school librarian. He also began writing for magazines as a freelancer.
After selling up in Lighting Ridge Roothy took off overseas thumbing rides overland from Indonesia through Asia, India and Europe. Along the way he did a lap of Burma on an old BSA, drove six wheel drive buses in Nepal, got thrown out of Tibet by the Chinese army and ran out of money courting an Irish girl in Cork. A trip to an Aussie bank in Dublin, a new account and John bankcarded his way back to Australia just in time to take up a job testing motorcycles for Two Wheels magazine.
The next six years saw a lighting fast progression through the publishing company ranks as lifestyle magazines took off – if anyone knew about lifestyle is was John Rooth! However the country kid couldn’t handle Sydney and after six years on the city treadmill that saw him rise to managing editor Roothy left to go bush again.
After finally getting nailed down by Karen – his long suffering Handbrake – Roothy gave up the tour bike business to raise a family and get back into magazines, building a career with 4WD’s, caravans and motorhomes just as this market kicked into top gear. His practical knowledge as a bush mechanic and love of travelling this country soon saw John back on the tracks, this time hosting DVD’s for Express Media.
This time around Roothy kept coming up against new gates and restrictions traveling the land he loved. It prompted him to start the ‘Don’t Lock Up Australia’ protests which eventually morphed into the bush recreation lobby group ‘Unlock Australia’. His passion for the cause, prompted by three teenage children who all love their time spent camping, saw John leave full time work in 2013 to devote his time to getting the Unlock ball rolling.
Then along came Low Range and the chance to saddle up Milo and hit the tracks again with his old mates Hasbeen and Kenno. Did he think about it for long?
Would you?

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,459 Posts
my boy used to his christmas money from great grandma to bye first low range dvd.
watched bits of it.
questionable about how different it will be!!!!!!
think need to sit down and watch properly.
but dam kenny annoys me!!!!!

·
Registered
GQ Dual Cab. TD42Ti with fruit.
5,149 Posts
I went to subscribe to the DVD's. I figured $99 was not too bad if they were good.

But postage was $60 (for each DVD sent individually as they are produced) to my place, about an hours drive from the headquarters. So that makes $160 for the year. Too much. :(

·
A Quiet One
nissan
454 Posts
I watched a couple a few months back, couldn't stomach Kenny - bit of a shame, could be a good watch otherwise.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts