Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Taking some time to introduce you all to my new (p)ride, the Big Red Rig, affectionately referred to as the BRICK.

I've been looking for her for years, and when she came up on Car Sales, I jumped on the opportunity. A prime 28y/o specimen in astonishing near new condition, low (160K) kilometres and never been off-road (or at least no visible evidence to that effect).

The exact model I was after, a high roof GQ LWB Patrol with a naturally aspired 4.2L silver top straight 6 diesel engine.

Here are some pictures as I found her in pristine stock form:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Automotive design

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire Tire

But she didn't stay stock for long. As we were planning a camping road (and ferry) trip to the Apple Ilse, I started preparing her for the trip. I added a rooftop tent, an awning, a fridge, home made storage drawers, a water tank and various other goodies...

Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Roof rack Sport utility vehicle

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Sport utility vehicle Auto part

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Trunk

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior

Vehicle Car Floor Room Flooring

After 3 weeks of use, I can report that everything works a treat. The drawers provide ample storage, the Waeco CFX 95 fridge freezer did not miss a beat and the extra tables under the draws have proven to be sufficiently sturdy and very useful.

The rooftop tent is made by alucab and so is the awning. The tent is super easy to pop and shut and the bed is super comfortable. The awning … is a dream, under 30 seconds to setup and only 60 seconds to pack away. No poles are needed, unless it storms, or if you want to prop it up a bit.

Here she is, prancing around in the dunes:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Sport utility vehicle Automotive exterior

As I was not planning to go rock-hopping in Tassie, I left the tough stuff for later. Next I'll be fitting her out with a rear-bar, rock-sliders, scrub-bars, a winch and last but not least a suspension upgrade. So stay tuned for future updates.

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
7,090 Posts
Looks good mate, well done!

They are rare here these days let alone the condition it’s in.

Reactions: aus.patrol

·
Registered
nissan
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As stated above … I am now looking to source a rear-bar and there are some various options to choose from. I started a thread to crowd source opinions on available bars to help me make my choice. If you have a GQ and you are looking for a rear bar, and or you already have a bar that you can recommend, please comment in the GQ Rear Bar Options thread.

I am also looking for an experienced custom fabricator in the Sydney area to put together some custom side-steps cum rock-sliders with both front and rear scrub-bars. If you know any good custom fabricators that you can recommend, please comment in the Custom Barwork in Sydney thread.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.