Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
___BTDT___
42,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will not speak on behalf of other local Admins but as the lead here I will share some of my thoughts. We knew this change was coming but we had no idea of the vastness or complexity, if members think they have issues I can assure you from our perspective the change has been even more complex, I could give you a long list of things I could change and monitor within the forum, like endless statistics, new sections introduced over recent years, 10 year recognition, etc, all that has ceased and indeed the 10 year badge has gone (but I am assured there will be some form of recognition but still no detail). There have been many questions asked in our little 'Area 51' by local Admins in recent weeks with answers that only prompt more questions, I won't go into that at the moment as it is quite frustrating trying to get answers (ie, why on earth does the Forum have a Y62 on the front page when the Y61/Y60 are the backbone of the forum, surely all 3 should be represented), I also have several emails to Canada, full of questions, that are outstanding adding to the frustration.

I know this is a massive task for our Canadian counterparts and I think they have issues with managing the evolution of this change as well, I sense this in our communications as the changes are interdepartmental.

All I can say is to hang in there, we are doing our utmost to make sure we come out the other end of the tunnel in far better condition than we are now. We have had a few members give up and move on, I understand this as I feel like doing this myself at times but I'll give it until after the Show and Shine to see what happens, my only concern is the longevity of this forum if the outcome of this 'change' has a negative impact on that then I don't wish to be here when it happens.
My 2 cents worth.
Ross

·
Registered
11,340 Posts
It still is a repository of heaps of info. I hope it stays. I hope our tech gurus (who imo outgun 95%of mechanics out there) stay.
I also get plenty of laughs and stress relief from our resident comedians. It really gives my day a lift, so I hope they stay too

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
We have had a few members give up and move on,
Before the change some people left due to slowness of the forum causing frustration so some sort of change had to happen. Even so, there are forums all over the net that seem to get by just fine using the old phpBB software that users everywhere are comfortable and familiar with so it was a surprise to see such an unfamiliar interface and have to deal with issues that a mature software package should have no problem handling. Let's hope this lives long enough to become mature and fully functional. It seems to be heading in the right direction but unfortunately started from a pretty low base.

Warty is right that the wealth of info is still there but just a little harder to find with the current search difficulties.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Yep, not easy for someone like me, with not the best computer ability. It will take me a while to learn things, and it can be frustrating. But some of our "complaints" that we have, whilst they may be annoying, are not deal breakers in my view. Different for sure, but not reason enough to abandon the forum. My 2c on this.

And whilst I shake my head and think "This will sort itself out", it must be mentioned that is due to the efforts of those effecting the changes. I am sure that all of us plebs appreciate the efforts of those leading the way in sorting issues out.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I won't pretend to understand any of what's going on in the background. I've been in similar boats where I was trying to implement a new system with an "uneducated" end-user base.

HOWEVER... My biggest frustration is the lack of feedback and response to our issues. For instance, it seems like a large portion of us regular users have an issue where pics only show up once you reply to the post containing the pic. I'm yet to see a response from Admin acknowledging this and that they're working on a fix.

All I see is the promise of "weekly updates" but the only request I've seen implemented is the reintroduction of post numbers. The updates we've had thusfar just added more useless features and haven't addressed any of our concerns.

As far as the new layout goes and navigating through it, I don't have any issues. But there were features and functions in the old platform that we've used regularly and those are now gone without any alternatives.

Maybe start taking us along on the journey so that we can also see the light at the end of the tunnel. Stop treating us like mushrooms by keeping us in the dark and feeding us ****.

@geeyoutoo and all the other local Mods, I take my hat off to you all. You have far more patience than what could reasonably be expected. THANK YOU for all your hard work. Without you guys we would have pulled the plug weeks ago. 👍👍👍

·
Registered
20,830 Posts
Yeah what the others have said. Change is good sometimes but the lack of proper communication from those that are implementing is frustrating and annoying.

The slowness of the old platform was a big pain in the area for the last 6mths of it, that is for sure. The speed and how you don't need to double do things for links and pics from other places is a big plus for this new platform.

My advice is tell us the problems, being faced by "our" mods here, because there is nothing worse than being kept in the dark. Then everyone knows and has an understanding of how much of a headache this change has been for them.

I'm here for the long haul, because I'm a stubborn bastard and will continue to give help where I can, if I have the knowledge. This place is also my stress reliever.

Keep up the good work.

Foo

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
And here I was thinking this was all something actually serious going on. Technology changes for a whole bunch of reasons, and in Australia we aren't a vital part of the ecosystem. (just look at the lack of a more low end Y62 Patrol). Who really cares if there are no GQ or GU's shown on the banner page ... Its only a picture! You can still communicate and share info, we aren't being charged money to be on this forum so REALLY don'y have that much of a say. Just enjoy it for what it is I reckon.

·
___BTDT___
42,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And here I was thinking this was all something actually serious going on. Technology changes for a whole bunch of reasons, and in Australia we aren't a vital part of the ecosystem. (just look at the lack of a more low end Y62 Patrol). Who really cares if there are no GQ or GU's shown on the banner page ... Its only a picture! You can still communicate and share info, we aren't being charged money to be on this forum so REALLY don'y have that much of a say. Just enjoy it for what it is I reckon.
I care, it shows our base and many others care as well.

·
Master Coalroller
3,245 Posts
Hmm pspeirs, obviously being a member of the peanut gallery doesn’t immediatley quantify being part of the community.

Unambiguously some possibly many, haven’t considered the product asset of keyboard hours that have been honorably donated and valuable knowledge freely dispensed, allthe while collated within free and easy reach of an recipiendus audience.

Consider this as fact, long term contributors have a tenure on their surroundings. Ignore this fact at your own peril.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The whinging about change and pathetic things like "the front cover photo is wrong" are the things that make me wanna leave not the new website, for a bunch of adult men you sure do love a whinge.

And people complaining about not getting detailed answers to every little question maybe it's because the people doing the work are trying to do the work and if that have to spend heaps of time answering your sooky complaints there's less time to spend on fixing the issues.

Grow up it's just a forum and as said all the information is there whether or not you have your 10 year badge to show off.

·
___BTDT___
42,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The whinging about change and pathetic things like "the front cover photo is wrong" are the things that make me wanna leave not the new website, for a bunch of adult men you sure do love a whinge.

And people complaining about not getting detailed answers to every little question maybe it's because the people doing the work are trying to do the work and if that have to spend heaps of time answering your sooky complaints there's less time to spend on fixing the issues.

Grow up it's just a forum and as said all the information is there whether or not you have your 10 year badge to show off.
Well! no one is forcing you to stay here, If you had read my post thoroughly you would know that point was only a small item in a rather big range of things going on in the background that you have absolutely no idea about. As the lead local Admin, and one of the people behind the scenes that has put their heart and soul into keeping this forum running for a long time before you joined, I will 'Whinge' about anything I see as a possible downside, if that doesn't suit you, feel free to move along my friend.

·
Registered
61 Posts
People can still post and read information or am I wrong?

Maybe you should appreciate how easily the internet brings us all together to share information instead of taking it for granted and when it doesn't work perfectly and has a few bugs you act like it's all **** and why is the photo wrong my whole life is ruined, and you actually complain about not having a badge to show how long you've been? Just sad. Maybe you don't deserve to use it in the first place.

But no worries If that's you're attitude I'll delete my account I can still fish for info, literally sticking up for the website and holding out until it's sorted but seems you all just want something to whinge about anyway. I dunno why you thought it was going to be easy if you all clearly don't understand computers.

You individually actually bring such a negative salty attitude to all the posts I've seen and now you're encouraging negative attitudes to something that isn't even that bad and just needs time, for me you and people that share your attitude ruin this site for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I guess that we all have opinions, and would expect that my opinion matters as much as the next person regardless of how long I've been registered on this forum. Comments like "Hmm pspeirs, obviously being a member of the peanut gallery doesn’t immeditely quantify being part of the community." are belittling and amount to not much more than harassment when someone has an opinion that differs from someone else who has been around a while.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Fellas, Boundary Rider is right. Some members have a real connection to this forum. I understand that you guys do not, as you are only new. This is not just a forum to many, it is a community, and one they have been a part of, and built, over many years. One thing that has always been a part of this forum, as long as I can remember, is to show respect to all our members. We are all different people, even though we are all Patrol owners. :)

·
Premium Member
872 Posts
Fellas, Boundary Rider is right. Some members have a real connection to this forum. I understand that you guys do not, as you are only new. This is not just a forum to many, it is a community, and one they have been a part of, and built, over many years. One thing that has always been a part of this forum, as long as I can remember, is to show respect to all our members. We are all different people, even though we are all Patrol owners. :)
Well said.
I think long term members with a sense of ownership are the core of any forum and community.
At the same time, visitors and new members are an investment in the future.
This change of format can be a bit off-putting, but it is here, so we should stick together and help out wherever we can.

·
Registered
642 Posts
We all know gu2 has his knickers in a knot and has done for quite a while I’ve noticed, not just since the forum has changed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 40 Posts