Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Fair call but the community isn't changing just the website, all the important features are still the same and the others will come with time.
I agree Jordan. The basics are still there, but we have lost a few members over this change. Hopefully the faults can be fixed to most peoples satisfaction, and we can focus on the positives.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
We all know gu2 has his knickers in a knot and has done for quite a while I’ve noticed, not just since the forum has changed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Forum moderation is a tough job mate. Ross puts a lot of effort into this forum. Not all of it is easy or pleasant either.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I think that a few people on here should take a step back and chill out, just think for a moment about Ross - aka geeyoutoo, I've personally never met the man but he has taught me quite a few things about my patrol (whether he realises it or not) and always offered a solution to any problem I may be having with it, read the various posts and you'll find 9 out of 10 times he is the first one to respond to questions that members have posted asking for help, he has been on this site for over ten years and as a admin he has been asked numerous times by many, many members to fix this or fix that, and now that all these changes are "stuffing" members around he is still being asked to sort things out for US - THE MEMBERS, and he is trying to do this for OUR benefit whilst he himself is being "stuffed" around with the changes, personally I think a little bit of understanding about him wanting to (or needing to) vent his frustration would be the least he is entitled to, remember at the end of the day, this forum in it's most basic form is about helping each other - - so everyone take a deep breath, stop all the bitching and show each other a little respect and understanding.............well, that's my 2c worth !

·
Registered
956 Posts
I think what some people dont understand is that we (forum members) are in a uneek situation here. The owners have brought our forum into the 21st century with this mammoth upgrade and in the process have give us a chance to suggest improvements.
Sure it isnt perfect yet, may never be "perfect" but it is,as a whole package, better than it was. With careful and constructive criticism, hopefully it will be the vibrant friendly informative and helpful place full of wisdom it always was. It's just going to look a little different.
As always patience and understanding is the key and our moderators deserve to be able to vent their frustrations the same as everyone else without being shot down for it.
If we all stick together and keep making noise about the things we'd like to see improve we just might get something that will make most of us happy to continue to be part of.
Looking forward to the future😎

My 2 cents👍

·
Master Coalroller
3,245 Posts
I wasn’t being subtle, I was being polite.

I have been here since 2006, and had to rejoin twice due to shutdown and data meltdown losses. For the first four years I gleaned all the data I could for my build, and this research was imperative to a successful journey with my Patrol. After that I gave back as much as I could.

A wise man once said; “if it is to be it is up to me”, a group of simple two letter words that define a self provoked resolve. Much resolve has been spent on this valuable forum derived from members which is what made this forum the valuable resource it is.

For someone to knock on the window and make a statement such as “it’s only a change in the colour of the windowpane, whadda you whinging about”, is understandably perceived as disrespectful. Most (but not all I know) should know that during life’s journey it is wise to remember advice from another wise man; “whenever you step where others have gone, respect those others who have gone before you”.

Change is rarely received without dissent. For this forum platform change I predict that long term members will either; sulk with or without logging on, leave, continue to participate normally or display some form of verbal dissent. There needs to be a vent for the latter and there is in other places on the forum. The OP didn’t start this thread for verbal dissent, and this thread isn’t the place for it. The are other opportunities on the forum for these debates to be held.

Gee you’ve been in overdrive for a couple of years now, and undoubtably the forum’s tidiness and tartness (if you like) is representative of your resolve. You’ve well greeted hundreds of newbies, and well they should be greeted- I admire all those maiden posters, it takes guts to jump into this mire feet first and vitally needed are those newbies. For every maiden poster there’s 200 don’t post up at all.

So enough said I’ll get to my daily chores however- Gee spray a lil MrSheen on some of the threads, posts and comments that come across your screen for a while until things normalize again, the forum still needs all the admins and moderators, perhaps more-so than ever. Sometimes in the perception of it all we need to underthink it a little more to protect ourselves from ourselves.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
One way or the other I have been a member here since 2004. I have seen the moderation change over the years. Some parts better some parts worse IMHO. It was pretty loose in the early days and noobs were soon put in their place.

But I always respect the decisions made by the admins and have been moderated plenty of times myself. If I did not like it I would not be here.

I like others have used it as a resource, and put back in were I thought it could be a worthwhile contribution.

I have said elsewhere the new format is better for speed and formatting pics etc. The old format was hanging a lot at times.

If you use tapa there is no difference.

Hang in there GU2. It can only get better.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I understand and respect all your opinions and get that this is a big deal to you, but my point is this was something that really had to happen and the people who are actually doing the technical changes and work are probably under as much or more stress as geeyoutoo and it's okay to vent frustration but maybe do it in a private chat with someone who understands and feels the same way, otherwise it can encourage others to have negative thoughts about it and bundle up all the cons instead of looking at what's actually great about it, I'm not saying the issues with the badge and front cover are silly and you have no right to care about it in fact I don't like the picture either and would love to see a GQ up there but I'm sure they'll find ways implement all these features and come to compromises as it progresses, just give it time and don't complain out loud and put more unnecessary stress on the people involved.

·
Registered
20,895 Posts
If the problems aren't pointed out in the open forum, then nothing gets done about it and it's not hard for those that have forced this change on us, to give better feed back than they currently do. The Australian side of things from the moderators is fine. Communication is the keys to letting everyone know what's going on, not little bits of crumbs and no answers to questions.

Foo

·
___BTDT___
42,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
I understand and respect all your opinions and get that this is a big deal to you, but my point is this was something that really had to happen and the people who are actually doing the technical changes and work are probably under as much or more stress as geeyoutoo and it's okay to vent frustration but maybe do it in a private chat with someone who understands and feels the same way, otherwise it can encourage others to have negative thoughts about it and bundle up all the cons instead of looking at what's actually great about it, I'm not saying the issues with the badge and front cover are silly and you have no right to care about it in fact I don't like the picture either and would love to see a GQ up there but I'm sure they'll find ways implement all these features and come to compromises as it progresses, just give it time and don't complain out loud and put more unnecessary stress on the people involved.

sorry for the double up no delete option yet 😅
Mate the issue here is you have no idea what is going on in the background, I was basically telling members who had privately and publicly stated concerns that I shared some of those concerns, and I do, those concerns I mentioned in the first post are only minor in the big scheme of things. I have dozens of questions on record to Canada for problems you guys know nothing about because they do not appear in public, as I said you have no idea what is going on, so for you to come in and post this:

"The whinging about change and pathetic things like "the front cover photo is wrong" are the things that make me wanna leave not the new website, for a bunch of adult men you sure do love a whinge.

And people complaining about not getting detailed answers to every little question maybe it's because the people doing the work are trying to do the work and if that have to spend heaps of time answering your sooky complaints there's less time to spend on fixing the issues.

Grow up it's just a forum and as said all the information is there whether or not you have your 10 year badge to show off.

Rb30 the world"

Is an insult to my intelligence and unfortunately it is comments like that, that take the fun out of doing the job we do locally for nothing.

·
Pass the Popcorn
6,492 Posts
It may seem modadmin has been around since 2004 but I and many core member can assure you they definately have not.

This place is only one of many “money spinners” they now own. How many newbies know, or care to know the true origins of thisforum they so evidently take for granted.

Maybe some dates need to be corrected for a few to reflect the truth.

All I know is this years Show and shine campfire conversation is going to be lit. 🔥

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ok i've tried nearly everything I can think of but no luck. I used to be able to search specific keywords and filter it by either posts or threads, I could also filter this further by posts from particular user names. I can't seem to find the page on the new layout that enables me to do this, can anyone help me out? I'm sure it in a very obvious spot for the life of me I can't find the right section. Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Whether we like to admit it or not, we all fear change.
Admins, I work in the IT industry, although not web specific, happy to help in any way I can.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I used to be able to search specific keywords and filter it by either posts or threads, I could also filter this further by posts from particular user names. I can't seem to find the page on the new layout that enables me to do this, can anyone help me out?
There is no decent search facility on the new format however you can achieve the same result by using the advanced search feature on a normal google search page. From a normal google window click Settings then Advanced Search then type your key words or phrase in the relevant boxes then scroll down to the "site or domain" box and type in https://www.patrol4x4.com and you will get pretty much the same result as the old advanced search feature.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I love this forum and I appreciate its true spirit. Especially the regulars like Boundary rider, festergu, J4ff, Oldmav, Simcoe , Warthog,Overboard,Ross and a gazillion other guys who have helped me out.

Without you guys I would of tossed out the Td42ti and gone a Mitsubishi Pajero long ago lol. Kidding.

This forum is a wealth of knowledge. I try to contribute where I can.As much as I can.

Im learning at a serious rate here my brain is swelling. Hopefully Guru Jedi status one day!

To Ross and all the other Admins.
Thankyou so much. You guys are doing a great job.

Yes it looks different, Navigating is different but end of the day behind all these posts,text, forums, PHP code HTML, its the same top blokes with the same sense of humour.

Thankyou.

And if in Doubt. Advance the timing! :D

·
Registered
235 Posts
New forum is like when you trade-up to a newer Patrol.

Start all over again with getting the feel of the new beast, upgrading, modifying, and tailoring it to suit what what you want. :love:
Remember everything is a compromise, raise the suspension and you alter the road manners, make more power and you decrease reliability, fit a roof rack and you burn more fuel.

If you drive a GQ it's probably because you like stuff as solid as a rock, and just as simple.
All this high tech electrickery and complication is better suited to Pajero and Prado drivers :eek: , ...............which is probably why so many of us like the old, known, simple, solid, forum layout. o_O

But if you're commenting or reading the forum on anything newer than a 2g Nokia or a Windows 95 computer, then you've already dealt with changes to your dark magic electrickery devices = so just think of the changes to the forum as like swapping out the old 'Troll 4.2 for a Detroit 6.5 or a Barra Turbo.

·
Registered
20,895 Posts
Nothing to see here.

Foo

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 40 Posts