Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

Do you believe man is the major contributer to climate change?

• Yes

Votes: 34 41.5%
  • No

Votes: 48 58.5%

• Total voters
2981 - 3000 of 3006 Posts

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,428 Posts
Check out this Professors take on GW

Cheers,G.
Ian Plimer who is on Gina Rineharts payroll? Yeah, without doubt he's the go-to guy if you want an independent scientific perspective on climate change. No bias whatsoever.

Or:

He is currently the non-executive deputy chairman of KEFI Minerals since 2006, independent non-executive director of Ivanhoe Australia Limited since 2007,chairman of TNT Mines Limited since 2010, non-executive director of Niuminco Group Limited (formerly DSF International Holdings Limited) since 2011, and non-executive director of Silver City Minerals Limited since 2011. Plimer was appointed director of Roy Hill Holdings and Queensland Coal Investments in 2012.

According to a columnist in The Age, Plimer earned over $400,000 (AUD) from several of these companies, and he has mining shares and options worth hundreds of thousands of Australian dollars.

He currently serves as an independent non-executive director on the boards of the unlisted Roy Hill Holdings, Queensland Coal Investments, Hope Downs Iron Ore, Hancock Beef Food (Shanghai), Hanrine Exploration and Mining Ecuador and HPXploration and the listed companies Lakes Oil NL (ASX:LKO) and Niuminco Group Ltd (ASX:NIU). He has previously sat on the boards of the TSX/ASX-listed Ivanhoe Australia Ltd, AIM-listed Kefi Minerals plc and Angus and Ross Plc and ASX-listed CBH Resources Ltd, Kimberley Metals Ltd, Silver City Minerals Ltd, TNT Mines Ltd and Sun Resources NL.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,428 Posts
West Australia grid officially hits more than 50% renewables for first time

The Western Australia grid has recorded its highest ever level of variable renewable energy penetration, after the state’s rooftop solar and large scale solar and wind generators combined to supply 51 per cent of underlying system demand in November of 2019.

The Australian Energy Market Operator said in its Quarterly Energy Dynamics report for Q4, 2019, that the new milestone was achieved for that state’s grid – or WEM – at 11.30am on November 30.

“At the time, 51 per cent of underlying system demand was supplied by VRE output,” the report notes. “This was a result of mild temperatures, clear skies (resulting in high rooftop PV output) and high wind speeds.”

The new record comes as the state grid, which is separate to the National Electricity Market, and operates as an island, with no connections to any other grid, grew the generating capacity of rooftop solar and wind by an average 87MW and 63MW, respectively.

Good things happening in WA, definitely moving in the right direction.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
16,597 Posts

The Western Australia grid has recorded its highest ever level of variable renewable energy penetration, after the state’s rooftop solar and large scale solar and wind generators combined to supply 51 per cent of underlying system demand in November of 2019.

The Australian Energy Market Operator said in its Quarterly Energy Dynamics report for Q4, 2019, that the new milestone was achieved for that state’s grid – or WEM – at 11.30am on November 30.

“At the time, 51 per cent of underlying system demand was supplied by VRE output,” the report notes. “This was a result of mild temperatures, clear skies (resulting in high rooftop PV output) and high wind speeds.”

The new record comes as the state grid, which is separate to the National Electricity Market, and operates as an island, with no connections to any other grid, grew the generating capacity of rooftop solar and wind by an average 87MW and 63MW, respectively.

Lets see, 11:30 on a on a very mild (27deg) Saturday morning in sunny Perth (where nearly everyone has solar power on the roof). Most the energy intensive businesses closed, people out walking the dog and on and on and on.

The state govt even crowed over this.

Till it was pointed out the 90% of the state, who are not on the local grid and therefore not recorded, was at full power from Gas and Diesel generators.

You know, people like farmers, miners etc etc ...

And speaking of solar on roof tops. From the same day.

Quote;
But there is now so much renewable solar power being generated on the grid that those responsible for keeping the lights on warn the stability of the entire system could soon be in jeopardy.

It is a cautionary tale for the rest of the country of how the delicate balancing act that is power grid management can be severely destabilised by what experts refer to as a "dumb solar" approach.

AEMO chief executive Audrey Zibelman said these challenges tended to be most acute when high levels of solar output coincided with low levels of demand — typically on mild, sunny days in spring or autumn when people were not using air conditioners. On those days, excess solar power from households and businesses spilled uncontrolled on to the system, pushing the amount of power needed from the grid to increasingly low levels. Ms Zibelman said WA's isolation amplified this trend because the relative concentration of its solar resources meant fluctuations in supply caused by the weather had an outsized effect.

In a "clarion call" earlier this year, AEMO said that if nothing was done to safeguard the grid, there was a credible danger of rolling blackouts from as early as 2022 as soaring levels of renewable energy periodically overwhelmed the system. At worst, AEMO warned there was a "real risk" of a system-wide blackout.

The onslaught of renewable energy in WA has cut a swathe through the finances of state-owned electricity provider Synergy. In September, the utility handed down a massive $657 million loss for the 12 months to June 30, the biggest reverse ever recorded by a government enterprise in WA.
End

And as for renewables making power cheaper, sorry, no cigar on that either.

The McGowan govt (Labor) has increase power prices by 20% in the first 2 years to make up the loses from synergy from the solar uptake. Now, so much is the impact this has caused in their popularity that they are worried about losing the next election over it. So they are going to do what all labor govts do, they are going to freeze power prices for the next year or so and say "look at us, we are keeping the cost of living down".

The only why they can do that is to further subsidise Synergy (which they obviously already do) even more. And where does that money come from? Let me guess, they tax payer.

How the runaway success of rooftop solar in WA is a warning for all Australia

Sure, one day we will be able to integrate it all, for the few who live in the small south west corner of a very large state.

But we are not there yet, and any numpty who demands we all switch to renewables immediately to save the planet right this moment does not understand this. But I will bet they will scream blue murder when power prices go through the roof as state govts scramble to source the many billions of dollars to effect the changes needed to evolve the grid.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
8,338 Posts
There have been numerous debates over solar and it’s benefits. One topic I listened to was how the costs of running a power plant remain even though we may not use the plant to its full potential, but it still needs staff and maintenance. With more people using solar, electricity companies make less money, so who pays for the power plant? The people without solar !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
16,597 Posts
There have been numerous debates over solar and it’s benefits. One topic I listened to was how the costs of running a power plant remain even though we may not use the plant to its full potential, but it still needs staff and maintenance. With more people using solar, electricity companies make less money, so who pays for the power plant? The people without solar !

Not here, everyone pays.

Even those with solar.

The state grummbyment has increased the supply charge by 120% while effectively leaving the actual cost of electricity to the consumer unchanged.

This is bad for a number of reasons. A major one, which is important for people who want to live, or who want other people to live, in a green world is it’s bad for the environment. This is because increasing the supply charge does nothing to encourage energy efficiency, and does nothing to encourage even more rooftop solar.

But what will piss off most is a household supported by a person working as a casual kitchen hand will have exactly the same amount added to their electricity bill as billionaire Twiggy Forrest living in his $58 million Mosman Park mansion.

This means a household that only uses an average of 7 kilowatt-hours a day, either because they are careful with their electricity use or that’s all they can afford, will have their electricity bills increase by 20% while Perth’s billionaires will have perhaps a 1% increase in their mansions’ electricity bills.

Solar households, because they use less grid electricity and receive a feed-in tariff for electricity they export, will also see their electricity bills soar. Generally by 10-20% for people with 3 kilowatt or larger systems, but potentially more.

There are no good economic reasons for having supply charges on electricity bills in the first place, but the more than doubling is blatantly unfair to the poor, unfair to those who have made the effort to cut their grid electricity use, it's bad for environment, and, personally, I am very pissed off by this gouging of the poor by a left political party for the benefit of the well off (which funnily enough encompasses all the pollies).

I help quite a few old pensioners maintain their homes (by fixing broken stuff, but only for those who have a partner in aged care) and with the increase in bills, and the loss of a chunk of pension from the partner being in care, they are cooking on camp stoves, not using lights at night and more because they are simply struggling to just cover the supply charge, which they must pay, let alone use any electricity on top.

And to cap that off, the Energy Assistance Payment, aka Cost of Living Assistance (CoLA) (for those on means‑tested Commonwealth concession cards) is only one the unit cost of power, not supply.

My last power bill (64 days) was $126.67, consisting of a $60.12 supply charge and $66.55 for electricity usage (house is mainly gas).

I have money.

Old mate, who is a pensioner as described above had a bill of roughly $165, same $60.12 supply charge and the rest is electricity usage, he uses a camp stove and candles at night (has no gas, which he can not afford anyway).

He is flat broke with the cost of living, his Energy Assistance Payment ($300 a year) brings his bill back to roughly the same as mine.

How is that fair Mr. Taking Care of the Vulnerable Labor Party WA Premier McGowan?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,166 Posts
Coal fired power station for QLD on the cards. Bring it on

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
1,508 Posts
Coal fired power station for QLD on the cards. Bring it on

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Feasibility study is on the cards. They were talking it up before the last federal election.

Must be a state election coming up in QLD?

Apologies for my cynicism.

Edit : This is all of course to keep the rogue Nats members happy. Tail wagging the dog.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,166 Posts
Feasibility study is on the cards. They were talking it up before the last federal election.

Must be a state election coming up in QLD?

Apologies for my cynicism.

Edit : This is all of course to keep the rogue Nats members happy. Tail wagging the dog.
I do know it isn't a foregone conclusion :), a feasability study is better than a poke in the eye with a burnt stick. I'm more interested in the rantings of the climate change religion followers.
I see Albo has stuck his neck out on this.

·
Registered
nissan
2,113 Posts

This highlights exactly why renewables aren't ever going to power the grid. While they might power 51% of the grid for a small snapshot in time, they can't reliably do it all the time. They still need another source of generation to be reliable. Where as fossil fuels and nuclear only need enough capacity for peaks time and they can constantly deliver the power required.

As usual the doomsdayers highlight a headline and fail to recognise the reality.

·
Registered
nissan gq
1,475 Posts
The hard reality is that Nuclear power generation is the low/no emission reliable energy for the long term despite the emotional "sky is falling doomsayers".
Not consuming fossil fuels which are needed for domestic usage eg LNG and coking coal for steel processing.
One thing that pisses me off is the selective promotion of power station cooling towers emitting steam touted as pollutants !

Cheers,G.

·
Premium Member
Patrol Hybrid.
11,884 Posts
The hard reality is that Nuclear power generation is the low/no emission reliable energy for the long term despite the emotional "sky is falling doomsayers".
Not consuming fossil fuels which are needed for domestic usage eg LNG and coking coal for steel processing.
One thing that pisses me off is the selective promotion of power station cooling towers emitting steam touted as pollutants !

Cheers,G.
Steam, oh no, how inconvenient, everyone knows it‘s carbon.
Greta will be after you. 😉🤣

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,428 Posts
This highlights exactly why renewables aren't ever going to power the grid.
It highlights nothing of the sort. If you look carefully (and I'll help out here with a clue - it's in the really big letters), the highlight is that renewables cracked the 50% mark for the first time ever.

That's a big deal, no matter what the circumstances. Or it's really scary, if you're a science denier.

While they might power 51% of the grid for a small snapshot in time, they can't reliably do it all the time.
Correct! Three cheers for FACTS - there should be more of 'em around here.

As usual the doomsdayers highlight a headline and fail to recognise the reality.
The news article highlighted the headline.

The doomsayers clearly recognise the reality - there's a long way to go to solve this problem.

My comment at the end was "Good things happening in WA, definitely moving in the right direction." Which is precisely what it is - another step in the right direction.

Meanwhile, lots of white noise from the science denial team.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
8,338 Posts
Israel Folau said the reason we were having fires and drought was because God was angry with us. Now that it’s raining does that mean we are forgiven or is he crying?

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
22,018 Posts
Israel Folau said the reason we were having fires and drought was because God was angry with us. Now that it’s raining does that mean we are forgiven or is he crying?

He's crying because we are heathens. 🤣

Foo

2981 - 3000 of 3006 Posts