Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

41 - 60 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Speedo Gears

Marcus,

Thanks for this info, I got a new gear from Nizbits and had it fitted and Hey presto!!!

Setup cruise for 100Kph and GPS reads 99.6 Setup for 110kph and speedo reads 109.6 Close nuff to spot on!!

Thx
Gazza from Gundaroo

·
Registered
80 Posts
Speedo error...

I have been reading this thread with interest as my speedo is under by about 5% ... What concerns me is if I put a gear in with less teeth would it also be less diameter and therfore not mesh quite as well and mayby give trouble later .... Any comments?

My second problem is with the torque converter lockup which should engage at about 80 kph (I think) in overdrive and as my speedo is 5% under I would need to go faster before the lock up engaged ... So if the speed error was fixed then perhaps it would also assist with the lockup which I would presume would engage closer to 80 kph .. Any comments?

My third concern is with the engine CPU and the gearbox CPU which both take inputs from the speedo ... Any comments ..
Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Gear

JimSutt said:
I have been reading this thread with interest as my speedo is under by about 5% ... What concerns me is if I put a gear in with less teeth would it also be less diameter and therfore not mesh quite as well and mayby give trouble later .... Any comments?

My second problem is with the torque converter lockup which should engage at about 80 kph (I think) in overdrive and as my speedo is 5% under I would need to go faster before the lock up engaged ... So if the speed error was fixed then perhaps it would also assist with the lockup which I would presume would engage closer to 80 kph .. Any comments?

My third concern is with the engine CPU and the gearbox CPU which both take inputs from the speedo ... Any comments ..
Cheers
Jim
Jim

The gears are the same diameter so dont get too stressed about it...

The correct gear will certainly help with any torque converter accuracy

Not sure what you mean by the 3rd concern but if the speed is CORRECT the the engine and CPU should get the correct input and act accordingly..

Marc

·
Registered
80 Posts
New speedo gearing ...

Ok it's getting time to buy new gearing for the speedo drive ....

Question: Does anyone know the number of teeth on the standard gear for an 05 GU4 AUTO 3.0Lt ...???

I will buy a gear with one tooth less to solve my speedo error ...

Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
504 Posts
JimSutt said:
Ok it's getting time to buy new gearing for the speedo drive ....

Question: Does anyone know the number of teeth on the standard gear for an 05 GU4 AUTO 3.0Lt ...???

I will buy a gear with one tooth less to solve my speedo error ...

Cheers
Jim
Nissan should be able to tell you when you order

·
Registered
16 Posts
GuJohnno said:
Nissan should be able to tell you when you order
I'd be pulling your one out and counting the teeth if I was you, rather than trust Nissan. It only takes 2 mins and a 10mm spanner.

I asked three different nissan dealers and got three different answers as to how many teeth my GUIV 4.8 should have, of which one was "it doesnt use speedo gears, its electronic" Sigh...

After pulling it out and counting (17t for 05 4.8 manual btw) went into nissan to order a 15t (as I run 35s ) to be told they dont make any other gears for the 4.8... sigh again..

Gave them the 15tooth part number from earlier in this thread, and asked them to order that. Came in in 5 days time, at home 20mins work (of which 15 was getting the circlip back on) and now my speedo is correct.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You need to see how far out your speedo is before changing tyres. I have a 2000 4.2 TD and checking the speedo with one of those readout along the freeways showed me that at an indicated 100 I was only doing 93. This was with standard 265/70/r16. I have now put on 285/75/16 (33's) and hopefully it will be fairly close now. I would rather be indicating a little faster that I am actually travelling especially with all the radars around now.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have just changed the cog over on our Patrol GU4 4.2

I fitted the 32743-VB015 15 Teeth and the speedo is spot on again. Thats running a set of 33".

About a 1 stubbie job I reckon.

Top thread this one.

Cheers

·
Registered
223 Posts
I had the 16 teeth model fitted the other day during a routine service.

The Dealer could only find one in Australia.

You may have to search around a bit for a cog.

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,687 Posts
I have a '00 td42t wagon with std 3.9 diff gears. Ordered my Mickey ATZ 4 ribs yesterday, 285/75-16. Currently have almost bald 265/75-16 D693's.The speedo currently reads 98 when I am doing 100 on the GPS so it's going to be way out. Odo is even worse, reads about 6-7% less than travelled. Worried about getting robbed for exceeding the speed limit by 5 kmh by the plethora of roadside govt theft cameras here in the nanny state.

Pretty sure reading this thread it will have a 15 tooth gear in the gearbox and this is the smallest available gear. Is this correct?

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,687 Posts
pulled the gear out of the transfer case today to have a look. 16 teeth in a '00 td42t wagon, have ordered a 15 tooth goer. Very easy job as previously explained by others, lost about 50 ml of transmission fluid. I'll just chuck a bit of nulon in to replace it when I get the new gear. Thanks very much for this thread Marc.

·
Registered
'00TD42T
11,687 Posts
For those with gu wagons with 3.9 diffs and running 285/75-16 tyres replacing the std yellow 16 tooth gear with a brown 15 tooth gear made the speedo read spot on according to my tomtom GPS.

·
Registered
nissan
613 Posts
I know this is a bit of a thread dig. But FYI it looks like the price of the 16tooth gear has gone up again I just got one to correct for my 33's and it cost my as good as $70.

Still cheaper than a speeding fine :p

·
Enemy of Reality
nissan 09 gu patrol
11,874 Posts
What i want to knowis what makes you think your GPS is anywhere near as accurate as your speedo?

·
Grenade Master
Nissan Patrol 05
2,642 Posts
What i want to knowis what makes you think your GPS is anywhere near as accurate as your speedo?
The jokes asides this might help you with the question.
http://www.romdas.com/technical/gps/gps-acc.htm
I had new tyres fitted (same size/manufacturer but different model) and GPS points to under reading of the speedo.
Getting accurate speedo readouts is in reality very difficult as there are few factors which change constantly. One thing for sure If one can get accurate measuments of their tyres under ideal conditions than it is possibly to select correct drive albeit with deliberate upward reading error as to avoid being booked.

·
Registered
nissan
2,003 Posts
... 'cause not only does the GPS knows what time is... it wasn't made by Nissan :rolleyes:

unless you are using the Factory SatNav in which case they could both be wrong :evillaug:

Oh and Romcajs... that link is a pretty good one but it is about 10 years old and whilst it is one of the better basic explanations has a couple of clangers in there that don't apply since mid 2000's with the later Block II Satellites.

41 - 60 of 193 Posts