Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The old political thread has been removed due to numerous and recent name calling comments bordering on abuse, and in some cases being very close to ban type abuse. This subject (and at least one other) has always been touchy but we have usually managed to keep things on a civil level, this is disappearing. I was contacted recently and asked about removing certain threads due to bias, my answer was no, because this forum is bigger than that and caters for many subjects that can and should be discussed rationally and civilly, and indeed I'm not the only admin who supports this stance, @OldMav and I have discussed this in detail.

I don't get the 'bias' angle put to me and this has been discussed, again I'm not the only admin who doesn't get it. Having been around for some years I have seen the thread go through cycles but mainly stay respectful, we all have our opinions and we are free to hold those opinions and to express them in a manner that is acceptable under forum rules, indeed I'm a conservative in most respects but I respect others views and I don't get personal because that is not how an admin, or anyone else for that matter, should react. Our rules have recently undergone a bit of a hammering, that will stop. There will be one only domestic political thread, any others started will be deleted at the first opportunity, the Trump thread will be renamed and focus more on international politics, the climate change thread will remain but all of these will be closely monitored by admins and moderators, any abuse in any form will result in a ban no matter who it is.

Lastly, if you can't extract a laugh out of politics or climate change then we are doing something wrong.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The issue is not about passion, damn, I can tell you I have lots of passion for numerous things and subjects, my buttons have been pushed a hell of a lot of times over the years and especially in recent months. Had a conversation with another Admin recently about this and he, like me, in situations of this type will write a reply but not send, often get up go for a brief walk, think about what I've said and then edit to suit and post, that or similar should be how the 'instant passion' is controlled.
The consequences for us as mods and admins should be and will be no different to the consequences others must face. A member was banned recently for language and abuse, may come back but we will survive if they don't and that is how it works.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Opinion. Below is an opinion piece by a guy named Ian Verrender. I have listened to various people and commentators decry the actions of our govt and the old phrase 'hindsight is a wonderful thing' comes to mind. I would like to see many of the whingers take on the responsibility that the Govt has had thrust upon it at relatively short notice where things have been changing daily, not weekly or monthly, but as we all know that won't happen, so criticism comes easily for some. The fine balance between lives and still having a functioning country when this is all over must weigh heavily on the minds of the Govt and its advisers, but not the minds of the hindsight criticisers.

This last quote from the article says it all.

"Politically, there are no winners from this gamble with death.

The leaders of Italy, Spain and America will be castigated for not heeding the warnings and allowing the unnecessary deaths of thousands of their countrymen.

If Mr Morrison succeeds in limiting the health fallout for Australians and we emerge with benign indifference, he most likely will be scolded for reckless overspending and saddling the nation with debt".

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Years ago I had a lot of time for that man, in retrospect it was a huge mistake.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Ah! Don't you just love it when journalists who will have no responsibility for how our country exits this dark period start criticising and advising the Govt how to do it? Laura bloody Tingle being one of them. I posted somewhere else that Morrison will not come out of this a winner no matter what he does, criticism will always be the response of the press.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Morrison has picked up the ball which he dropped so badly with the bush fires. Even the SMH are lauding him.

His creation of the national cabinet was a major element in Australia,s successful defence of CV. The states are in control of schools, emergency services and hospitals. Some states pushed him on some issues (lockdown for one) and he accepted this and moved on. The creation of the national cabinet also prevented any of the LNP factions and unions having a soap box to stand on.

Morrisons only baggage is his loyatly to Trump. World leaders will not take Morrisson seriously about WHO reforms and an inquiry (into Chinas Covid 19 response) until he ditches Trump.
Disagree about the Trump 'loyalty' thing, yes I think this was a factor in the early days but now I believe it is just staying on side with our biggest defence partner to the best of our ability, this is something that cannot be ignored as like the rest of us he does not know the future, this is only known by select journalists, some from Ch2 (like Laura Tingle).

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I know who I would trust more as a defense partner, and it isn't China. Presidents come and go, our defense agreement outlives them.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Morrison will breath a sigh of relief if Trump loses the next election. So will a lot of other leaders.

Will still should be more self sufficient on all fronts.
We physically can't be, we are a massive island/continent with a population of 26,000,000 and a massive coastline, the numbers don't add up to being 'self sufficient', we need them and to make things even sweeter they need us as a bastion for the southern hemispere (in many ways). As said Presidents come and go, our agreement is stronger than all of them put together. China is still very much a threat to our security, just look at the South China Sea activity and State sponsored hackers.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
@DB-101 I agree, maybe it's time to spend a lot of effort looking for alternative clients. The bully has been slowly working its way towards us for many years, you and I have probably both seen evidence of this while OS and that doesn't include the South China Sea BS. China is not a Communist State it is a Dictatorship and getting worse with one man wanting lifetime total control.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Every few years china flexes its muscles nothing new, the dictatorship is purely arrogant and thinks it can get away with anything. In many ways they need us.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Normally he's full of BS, so I stopped taking any notice of him years ago and OMG, that tv show, lolol. The big issue with his suggestion that has come up more times than he's had breakfasts is the route and the aquasition of land, not sure it is as easy as he thinks.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Which is why it has never been done, but there is a need and there is the question of getting a project going that will employ the broadest range of people in a the most heavily populated area (Vic / NSW) at a time were a lot of jobs have simply disappeared and are not coming back ...
Agree, but the issue holding everything back over the years has been what I mentioned, this has been a talking point in the east for decades, I really can't see those issues being solved any time soon, they have sat in the too hard basket for successive federal and state governments for all those years.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Why are we talking about labor? Who cares, they’re not in power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably because history has a habit of repeating itself and this is a political thread and they are the opposition who also play a part in governing by their actions.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I thought Albanese was smarter than to send BS out in front of cameras to speak about anything! Obviously not.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
China is now telling its privileged population to ignore AU as a travel destination due to racist activity, yes sure we have some morons who blame local Chinese people for covid, etc. but looking on the other side of China telling people to sty away and not buy AU goods, this could well be short term pain for long term gain, China may well need us more than we need them in the long game, ie, our iron ore is so much more pure than theirs or anyone elses, they are using ours to mix with theirs to get purity in their steel making, China has more ore reserves than us but their ore is about half the 'richness' of ours, so they mix ours with theirs to give it 'value'.
Mainland Chine! rack off and get a real life.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
lol you forgot the coal issue. They need our coal to drive the refineries. Sure, they can find coal from other sources, but our coal is the cleanest burning and produces more thermal energy, as in heating value measured in kcal/kg, kJ/kg or BTU/lb, thus they get more bang for their buck.

Put the two together and the steel production cost goes up significantly when sourcing iron ore and coal from other countries.

Perhaps then the economics will more more to steel produced in the next 2 big refiners, Japan and India lol.

Would be good to see and a nice case of shooting one self in the foot.
No didn't forget, only used that one example of iron ore, yes we have probably the best coal in the world. Our bauxite is also among the purest in the world.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
50,748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #107 ·
Having worked at one of the 3 big players, the iron ore they were sending to China had to be blended as to downgrade the quality as it used less energy to smelt.
Our ore is almost double the purity of what China mines itself on home soil.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts