Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

201 - 220 of 303 Posts

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,784 Posts
The question I ask is why private security firms were used.

The health consultants had recommended the use of police and army for the isolation procedure.

Also in leaked documents in the early part of the operation stating the issues with the private security firms, which were subsquently ignored.

Now there is an enquiry into the whole fiasco, which the gang of 8 aren't compelled to answer.
Mate is high up in the health department here, he talked to someone he knows is Vic who is health department there. His mate told him that the Govt (Andrews) took control and ignored all their recommendations, not just police and army.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,660 Posts
Mate is high up in the health department here, he talked to someone he knows is Vic who is health department there. His mate told him that the Govt (Andrews) took control and ignored all their recommendations, not just police and army.

I'm hearing whisperings also of the Vic premier of ignoring recommendations, which to be quite frank is disturbing.
Also his language he uses in press conferences caught my ear with, 'I decided' and 'my decision', which decidedly lacks consultation.

Now he has seen fit to place a curfew on some Victorians from 8pm- 6am.
Victorians have not seen curfews since the 2nd world war.

I have to ask the relevance of a night curfew when most of the covid-19 transmission happens before 8pm.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
14,818 Posts
Parties.

Reactions: Foo

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
2,034 Posts
hang on, I'm pretty sure that every union man will say employee poor training is the fault of the employer.

And given that the Vic Govt is Labor and thus full of ex union flunkies how can this be true?

Quote;
Poorly trained security guards who became overwhelmed by hysterical guests are being blamed for allowing COVID-19 to spread from hotels.
An independent inquiry into Victoria’s hotel quarantine system is expected to hear evidence this week that guests were begging, banging on walls and even attempting to bribe security guards to let them out for fresh air.
End.

Surely the buck stops with the employer, and there can be no blame leveled at any employee in the lefty paradise?

No offence meant to anyone in Victoria, the Vic situation is both distressing, and at the same time disappointing.

But it should come as no surprise to anyone with a passing interest in labour standards in the private security industry, or an understanding of governance issues in supply chains.

To put it plainly, the Victorian government used an industry with a long history of non-compliance with minimum standards for a critical public safety job.
Private security must be a labor thing.

·
Registered
nissan gq
1,958 Posts
When will the Labor party in Virustoria finally grow some and oust Andrews ? how many deaths will it take ? or the Federal govt must take control,it;s just plain insane.Does anyone see him winning the next election ? It seems his picnic is short a few sarnies.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,492 Posts
When will the Labor party in Virustoria finally grow some and oust Andrews ? how many deaths will it take ? or the Federal govt must take control,it;s just plain insane.Does anyone see him winning the next election ? It seems his picnic is short a few sarnies.
He'll hang on until after the covid is over (as much as it can be), then step down as, "it's taken a toll" on him.

Then the Alp hope all the blame goes with him and they can get a third term.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,660 Posts
He'll hang on until after the covid is over (as much as it can be), then step down as, "it's taken a toll" on him.

Then the Alp hope all the blame goes with him and they can get a third term.

Not a hope.
When has a politician resigned while in power.
He enjoys the daily televised updates although there was a definite change in attitude. Today was about 'we this and 'we that' as opposed to I, I, I.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,492 Posts
Not a hope.
When has a politician resigned while in power.
He enjoys the daily televised updates although there was a definite change in attitude. Today was about 'we this and 'we that' as opposed to I, I, I.
Quite a few, when they look OK popularity wise but don't expect to win the next election. In this case he's got the perfect excuse of stress, as well as the usual cliches of "spend time with the family" etc.

And in this case the best chance the Victorian ALP have got is for Chairman Dan to take all the heat from the covid crisis, then resign once it's all calmed down. Captain can't be seen to desert a sinking ship.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,660 Posts
Today I heard things that I just can't get my head around and for that matter understand.
In Melb we get the daily update of covid and the associated numbers.
Footage presented was of fatalities being wheeled out of nursing homes.
At first I just thought it was generic footage and kept on going about my things. But at closer inspection it was of actual footage. My first question was why aren't these elderly people with covid in hospital??

Later in the day it is revealed that hospitals won't accept the elderly from nursing homes and are being left at the nursing home.

Seriously??

Then we see Dan deny that the army was offered to quarantine the first hotel crisis.
The army quickly refuted this claim with subsequent emails.

WTF is going on??

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
14,818 Posts
Dan is not a nice man.

Reactions: grumpyone and Foo

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
24,945 Posts
Still find it funny. 🤣

Foo

·
Registered
nissan
6,814 Posts
Later in the day it is revealed that hospitals won't accept the elderly from nursing homes and are being left at the nursing home.
It depends how crook they are and what level of medical care the home is able to provide. If they are in need of ICU care the public hospitals will take them but if they are just in need of an oxygen mask and the home has the facility to provide that then they stay in the home.

Some private hospitals are refusing to take anyone who has tested positive or displays covid19 symptoms.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,660 Posts
It depends how crook they are and what level of medical care the home is able to provide. If they are in need of ICU care the public hospitals will take them but if they are just in need of an oxygen mask and the home has the facility to provide that then they stay in the home.

Some private hospitals are refusing to take anyone who has tested positive or displays covid19 symptoms.

I'm no doctor, but when you are wheeling people out in body bags, I think they were fairly sick.

·
Registered
nissan
517 Posts
My wife's grandma is in a home that has cases of covid in it. Started with 4, (which grandma thankfully wasn't one) so the ly moved them to rooms closer to nurses station and the staff who looked after them weren't to go near any other residents. Last i heard a couple more residents have caught it and some staff too. Mother in law and her siblings are terrified grandma might get it that they asked to remove her from the home. They were allowed to, but the conditions were so restrictive that none of them felt they could follow all conditions. Have thought tho, there may be class action suits when this all ends due to not taking sick people out of homes and into hospitals.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,784 Posts
So which public hospitals are refusing seriously ill aged care residents?
A few, as far as I have seen in the media, and not just in Vic.

State Government's and their public health units are making the calls on it, not hospitals.

We had an issue with one lady here months ago that caused a bit of a kerfuffle.

The hospital in question had a bunch of their nurses in self isolation and as a result there were not enough staff to care for anymore people and the decision of the public health unit in that area (North Metro PHU if I remember correctly). So the patient remained in the "Aged CARE facility" and only those who had no support at home or were out in the community etc were being admitted.

Makes sense to me.

And that decision was made by the relevant PHU, not the hospital.

A bunch of WA nurses have gone off to Vic the support their overloaded system as they have so many of their health staff in isolation.

WA nurses fly east for virus fight

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,660 Posts
A few, as far as I have seen in the media, and not just in Vic.

State Government's and their public health units are making the calls on it, not hospitals.

We had an issue with one lady here months ago that caused a bit of a kerfuffle.

The hospital in question had a bunch of their nurses in self isolation and as a result there were not enough staff to care for anymore people and the decision of the public health unit in that area (North Metro PHU if I remember correctly). So the patient remained in the "Aged CARE facility" and only those who had no support at home or were out in the community etc were being admitted.

Makes sense to me.

And that decision was made by the relevant PHU, not the hospital.

A bunch of WA nurses have gone off to Vic the support their overloaded system as they have so many of their health staff in isolation.

WA nurses fly east for virus fight

Sorry, doesn't make sense to me.

Firstly I understand the great strain this virus has placed onto our already strained health care system.

Our Premier it seems is not disclosing the full magnitude of the currently overwhelmed health services and is portraying a health service in better shape.
The aged care situation highlights this.

What makes sense to me is that if a patient at a aged care facility tested positive that they would be removed from said facility and taken to a hospital where proper treatment and isolation could take place.This for a couple of reasons,

(a) for the sake of the patient.

(b) for the sake of the rest of the residents and staff at the facility.

How can you expect a aged care facility to suppress the spread of the virus and to protect those in the community who are most vulnerable. It would make sense to me that if you removed those first cases you might just NOT condemn the rest of the residents to a similar fate.
Also it would go along way to protecting the staff, along with their families and then transmission in the broader community.

But hey, I'm no doctor.

201 - 220 of 303 Posts