Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

301 - 320 of 355 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,476 Posts
I dont post much in political threads, but I posted this in the international politics thread because I'm deeply concerned about how our leaders treat rural Australia and our produce and exports.

Watched an interview on "insiders" with both Rudd and Turnbull. Apparently China threw an 'olive branch' (Rudd's words) to Australia back in early Sept, as a way forward with trade, but nothing has been spoke of from Morrison about this and now China has doubled down on tariffs on most of our primary exports.
I dont pretend to even understand a small amount of the slimey smelly art of politics but Morrison had better have a plan for all the exports he has singled handedly strangled here.
I agree we should be free, and have a right, to call for an explanation of the origins of this pandemic, but if Morrison was more concerned about Australian people, rather than pissing off Trump or the Murdock press (both of whom could easily make him look bad) just maybe he may have made a better and more diplomatic announcement and (at least) rural Australia could continue to trade and grow. For someone who thinks he has all the answers to grow our economy, this just seems counter intuitive.....
I've listened to scomo try to sell his "gas led recovery" but believe it's just another handout to his big business oil and gas industry buddies. The investment could be better utilised.
This announcement is further affecting my rural friends and mining for gas these days has the potential to damage the great artesian basin beyond repair. If that should happen...........I hate to think!
Why are our leaders so hell bent on allowing this to happen to rural Australia? Why take the risk on an industry that give so much back to Australia? I'm completely perplexed, and deeply disappointed 😕

Edit: Farmers and rural industry will still be feeding Australians long after oil and gas are extinct. Where does everyone think their food will come from if we send our farmers broke and poison their land and water?

Reactions: Haggie and Foo

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,528 Posts

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,528 Posts
Albo missed again.

Reactions: Foo

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,230 Posts
I don't understand Albo. I don't know what he stands for, what he'd lead towards or what he'd be swayed by. He's a bit similar to Bill Shorten in terms of being an invisible character, but when he did make an appearance, he would champion something. Albo seems to be following the Twitter convo only

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
26,475 Posts
Albo is a yes man to the green leaning union wa'nkers that are controlling the purse and Shortonbrains is the one just saying enough, so as not to let any nervousness show with Albo and that's my take on the Labor Party these days. ;)

Foo

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,803 Posts
I wonder what Australian values are. And how that’s relevant to the current spat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Gee, what possibly could be Australian “Values” ...

How about …

Fundamental freedoms
All Australians are entitled to a number of fundamental freedoms (within the bounds of the law),
including speaking freely and openly, joining associations, holding meetings, worshipping their
chosen religions and moving throughout Australia without restrictions.

Respect for the equal worth, dignity and freedom of the individual
All Australians are free and equal and are expected to treat each other with dignity and respect.
Australians reject the use of violence, intimidation or humiliation as ways of settling conflict in our
society.

Freedom of speech
All Australians are free, within the bounds of the law, to say or write what they think about
Australian governments or about any other subject or social issue as long as they do not endanger
people, make false allegations or obstruct the free speech of others.
The same applies to Australian newspapers, radio and television and other forms of media.
Australians are free to protest the actions of government and to campaign to change laws.
Freedom of speech allows people to express themselves and to discuss ideas. There are laws that
protect an individual’s good name against false information or lies. There are also laws against
inciting hatred against others because of their culture, ethnicity or background.

A few more “Australian Values” ...
Freedom of religion and secular government
Freedom of association
Support for parliamentary democracy and the rule of law
Equality under the law
Equality of men and women
Equality of opportunity and a spirit of egalitarianism
Peacefulness
Shared values
Australian workplace rights (no sneering, I have worked in china, they have no rights, and workplace safety is a foreign concept… Minimum pay rates and workplace conditions are set by Australian law, as they are in China, but I can tell you that our minimum rates and conditions are only a pipe dream for chinese workers).

You know, pretty much everything you don’t get in china, and china believes you should not have these rights in Australia either. They have complained vigorously of Australian “negative” comments in the press and social media (one of their 14 grievances against us), so no freedom of expression for you, if china had its way…

Then there is the political side. And that has been going badly for many years in several respects. Going all the way back to Menzies, and the fate was sealed when in 1966 Prime Minister Harold Holt sent an ambassador to Taiwan to seal Australia's recognition of the Chiang Kai-shek regime as the sole legitimate government of China.

By that time the question of the recognition of China had become a major political controversy in Australia and became linked to the issue of the Vietnam War and perceptions of China as a threat to Australia's security and sponsor of communist subversion throughout Southeast Asia. Despite hostile political relations, Australia nevertheless continued to trade with mainland China, especially with major sales of wheat.

Hawke turned that around, until …

The violent suppression of the pro-democracy movement in Beijing in June 1989. Concerns about human rights abuses in China ensured that diplomatic relations between Australia and China were frosty for over a year, including a ban on ministerial visits until early 1990.

Then there was the following that china slammed us for.

Taiwan ...
With the Howard Government election in March 1996, Australia-China relations encountered serious problems as the Chinese Government began to react to what it saw as change in the direction of Australian policy on China. China had expressed concerned about Australia's increasing contacts with Taiwan during 1995 (started under Keating), but the problems reached a new level in 1996. The Chinese perception was fuelled by a number of actions by the Australian Government which Beijing interpreted as together forming a shift away from a previously supportive stance on China towards a position more closely tied with US interests and less friendly to China. The issues over which the misunderstandings developed were an indication of the sensitive nature of the Australia-China relationship and the degree to which the relationship is directly linked to the health of China's relations with the United States.

The Abolition of DIFF in 1996. (Development Import Finance Facility)

US-Australia Defence Links: The 'Claws of a Crab'
Quote; Chinese criticism was broadened into a general critique of Australia's foreign policy in an article in World Affairs, a publication of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Using the metaphors beloved of Chinese commentary, the article compared Australia to a bat which gave its allegiance to the mammals when they triumphed, but showed its wings and declared itself a bird when the birds were victorious. 'It seems', the article continued, 'that Australia is suffering from the same confusion and embarrassment', and has never had 'a truly independent defence policy'.(16) Still stronger criticism was voiced by the Guangming Daily, which described Australia's support for US actions as 'parrot-like behaviour'.

The Visit of the Dalai Lama. Late 1996, but negotiations started for him to come started under Hawke.
As soon as it was announced that the Buddhist leader and symbol of the Tibetan independence struggle would be visiting Australia, the Chinese Government began protesting against any suggestion that the Dalai Lama would meet the Prime Minister or any senior Australian Government figure. When the Prime Minister said he would indeed meet the Dalai Lama, the People's Daily launched a particularly strident attack on the Australian government:

...the reason for this absurd decision is that those [Australian] politicians, in league with the Devil, have ulterior motives and are unwilling to abandon their evil intentions of interfering in China's internal affairs.(18)
The paper warned that the decision would 'inevitably affect political, economic and trade relations' between Australia and China.(19) When the thirty minute meeting between Mr Howard and the Dalai Lama did occur on 26 September the Chinese Government issued a statement expressing its 'strong displeasure and deep regrets' and protesting that despite repeated Chinese objections, the Australian Government had 'not only allowed the Dalai Lama to visit Australia and offered him forums for his anti-China activities, but also arranged for its leaders to meet him'. The statement repeated the warning that the decision would 'unavoidably produce a negative impact on relations between China and Australia'.(20)

So, what can be learned from this.

It does not matter a rats ass what Australia does, china will continue to be “outraged” …

Meanwhile, china continues its rampant copying and theft of internationally protected copyrights and intellectual property, the murder and, relocation and “reeducation” of ethnic of minorities. Which is against Australian Values enshrined in law...

Want to know what I think of the chinese leadership and their propaganda BS …

Fcuk em.

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
2,417 Posts
Lol........lie down with dogs you will get up with fleas. There must be a lot of politicians scratching at the moment.

"Mr Liu was also feted by the Victorian Labor Government, when Premier Daniel Andrews handed him an award at the 2018 retirement banquet for the outgoing parliamentary secretary for multicultural affairs, Hong Lim."

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,528 Posts
I see that mal turnbull received an award. 😳🙄

For eminent service to the people and Parliament of Australia, particularly as Prime Minister, through significant contributions to national security, free trade, the environment and clean energy, innovation, economic reform and marriage equality, and to business and philanthropy.

·
Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
26,475 Posts
I see that mal turnbull received an award. 😳🙄

For eminent service to the people and Parliament of Australia, particularly as Prime Minister, through significant contributions to national security, free trade, the environment and clean energy, innovation, economic reform and marriage equality, and to business and philanthropy.
🤬 WTF? 🤬

Foo

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,528 Posts
Even rudd and juliar got one, seems they hand them out to expm’s, even when they are duds. 🙄

·
Registered
Nissan
24 Posts
Even rudd and juliar got one, seems they hand them out to expm’s, even when they are duds.
Is this for real? They were just doing their job. Perhaps a wartime PM might deserve one, but hard to see how any of the others deserve the award.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
2,417 Posts
Tony Abbott is top of the list. One day he might be Knighted.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,528 Posts
Alphabetical order, he will be up near the top.

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,125 Posts
in 1966 Prime Minister Harold Holt sent an ambassador to Taiwan to seal Australia's recognition of the Chiang Kai-shek regime as the sole legitimate government of China.
If only the Taiwanese had accepted that mainland China was lost to them at that point and declared independence. The Chinese already had their hands full supporting north Vietnam against the Americans in south Vietnam and trying to launch an attack on a well defended island across over 100km of open ocean full of American submarines with no effective way to defend against them would have been too much of a problem to deal with. Even now the official Taiwanese point of view is that there is one China with two systems and the only dispute is who should be in charge of it although their current leader has said that Taiwan is already an independent country with the name Republic of China.

Calls by the Taiwanese people to abandon the mainland and declare independence are growing though. If Taiwan did declare independence and China did not retaliate that would be seen as them accepting the sovereignty of a new national administration in charge of the island territory. China would have no choice but to commence a civil war and it is questionable just what America could do to stop it. China's blue water naval capabilities are still relatively limited but they are improving daily, however Taiwan is close enough to mainland China that their weakness in blue water capabilities won't matter much. The range, capability and quantity of their antiship and antiaircraft missiles will clear the air and surface waters of any enemy well beyond Taiwan and they have now had an effective antisubmarine torpedo for over a decade.

Taiwan has been watching closely the events in Hong Kong and it is now clear that it doesn't matter what level of autonomy China agrees to before hand, once sovereignty is signed over to them all control is lost. The best hope for Taiwan is to maintain the status quo and this has been their firm policy even though most of their politicians are in favour of independence. I'd say their only chance of independence is if China gets involved in a serious war with another country and ends up with more problems on their plate than they can deal with. I think the chances of this are pretty low but they keep getting up the noses of India and Japan so anything is possible.

Edit: Just after I posted this appeared in my news links.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,528 Posts
Pete Evans is crazy and promotes very dangerous ideology, he’s an antivaxer and has some strange nutritional ideas.

301 - 320 of 355 Posts