Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Morrison will breath a sigh of relief if Trump loses the next election. So will a lot of other leaders.

Will still should be more self sufficient on all fronts.
We physically can't be, we are a massive island/continent with a population of 26,000,000 and a massive coastline, the numbers don't add up to being 'self sufficient', we need them and to make things even sweeter they need us as a bastion for the southern hemispere (in many ways). As said Presidents come and go, our agreement is stronger than all of them put together. China is still very much a threat to our security, just look at the South China Sea activity and State sponsored hackers.

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,589 Posts
Labor doing what labor does. Increase taxes.

When I lived in Houston the land tax for where I lived was US$19,000 a year.

People in the poorer sections of the city still got hit with US$9,000 a year.

Modelling suggests $2500 a year for Vic, add to that council rates of $2k or more and all the other guff they hit you with and you are heading to the poorer Houston cost as a starting point. But remember, the average Houstoner only pays 12% as the TOP income tax bracket, averaged out it's about 8%.

People on the old age pension with nothing but the homes they took 30 years to pay off would be forced to sell and move away from family and friends.

While stamp duty is very inefficient as a tax it is vastly better than setting a land tax on home owners that can be jacked up year in year out.

And jack it up they will as the tax is state, not federal, so there are no restrictions.

Stamp duty, Victoria: Concerns over potential replacement tax - realestate.com.au

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Labor doing what labor does. Increase taxes.

When I lived in Houston the land tax for where I lived was US$19,000 a year.

People in the poorer sections of the city still got hit with US$9,000 a year.

Modelling suggests $2500 a year for Vic, add to that council rates of $2k or more and all the other guff they hit you with and you are heading to the poorer Houston cost as a starting point. But remember, the average Houstoner only pays 12% as the TOP income tax bracket, averaged out it's about 8%.

People on the old age pension with nothing but the homes they took 30 years to pay off would be forced to sell and move away from family and friends.

While stamp duty is very inefficient as a tax it is vastly better than setting a land tax on home owners that can be jacked up year in year out.

And jack it up they will as the tax is state, not federal, so there are no restrictions.

Stamp duty, Victoria: Concerns over potential replacement tax - realestate.com.au
Bastards!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
23,188 Posts
NSW is also looking at a land tax to replace stamp duty.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk
They already have it.

Foo

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I've been a homeowner in nsw for over 30 yrs, as far as I am aware I haven't paid any, or are you referring to rates levied by the local council.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,029 Posts
If NSW is like Vic, then land tax is not applicable to primary residences. Just holiday homes, investment properties commercial property, etc.

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
23,188 Posts
I've been a homeowner in nsw for over 30 yrs, as far as I am aware I haven't paid any, or are you referring to rates levied by the local council.

Foo

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,879 Posts
He sufferers from attention deficit. Tosser!

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
23,188 Posts

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,879 Posts
I wish he's just pliss off with a tub of ear wax and be quiet and take that other fool, Turdbull with him. 🖕

Foo
Look up “narcissist“ in the dictionary, it’ll show pictures of both of them. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

·
nissan patrol
15,589 Posts
Bout sick to death of China and their threats.

I say we tell em to feck off. They want to ban our products!

I say go the hell ahead, we may actually win by getting some manufacturing back into the country.

It's obvious they can't stand any public scrutiny of daylight on the matter and wish to learn nothing of the pandemic, or to let the world know the lessons that can be learned.

SARS, MERS, Avian Bird Flu, Asian Flu and now Covid have all come out of China (there is even a suggestions that the spanish flu, which is an avian flu, originated there as well).

The world is going to take a long time to get over Covid, and the world will not be the same as it was either. There will be new markets to go after for our products.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
@DB-101 I agree, maybe it's time to spend a lot of effort looking for alternative clients. The bully has been slowly working its way towards us for many years, you and I have probably both seen evidence of this while OS and that doesn't include the South China Sea BS. China is not a Communist State it is a Dictatorship and getting worse with one man wanting lifetime total control.

·
nissan patrol
15,589 Posts
@DB-101 I agree, maybe it's time to spend a lot of effort looking for alternative clients. The bully has been slowly working its way towards us for many years, you and I have probably both seen evidence of this while OS and that doesn't include the South China Sea BS. China is not a Communist State it is a Dictatorship and getting worse with one man wanting lifetime total control.
Yes I have, unbelievable the debt trap that the belt and road program is doing to a lot of countries, especially Africa and Asia.

Watched them build 3 hotels in Luanda (Angola) where all the workers were flown in from China, even the construction site sweepers, when the country had 45% unemployment. This was a condition of the loan to build.

The loan went into the pockets of the ruling elite, meanwhile, my friends in Luanda tell me that these luxury hotels, built solely for the oil and gas industry (extremely difficult to get a tourist visa back then) are cracking with major structural issues, one has had 7 of the 21 stories declared uninhabitable.

Now the price of oil has plummeted, the hotels are empty, to ruling elite have run off with the money and the Angolans are indebted to the chinese to the tune of several billions.

Meanwhile, another part of the deal was that China received crude oil at cost price. The Chinese own several major oil fields and set the "cost" price, once "they" take out "their" operating costs so effectively they get the oil for free ...

Angola gets nothing.

Saw the same in Gabon and Nigeria.

If we don't stand up to China now we are done for...

·
nissan patrol
15,589 Posts
And before anyone jumps in on the "debt trap" comment they should understand that China carefully constructs the loans to be within a certain range of the recipient countries GDP to escape the UN labelling it so and in return levelling sanctions against china.

The chinese are not that dumb.

However, while not clinically a "debt trap" a they do become so when those countries have revenue problems.

This has happened to several countries (Angola, Gabon etc) as they rely on oil exports for their income, which has disappeared ...

China has admitted as much and say they are trying to address the issue (they had to due to the world wide criticism)

However.

Quote:
Meyer noted that unlike U.S. foreign aid or the Marshall Plan to rebuild economies after World War II, the BRI is “Chinese investment that expects a return.” Chinese financial institutions lend money for BRI projects in partner countries, and the construction contracts are awarded to mostly Chinese firms, he said. “A Chinese company [thus] receives much of the proceeds of the loan, but the host country has got the debt. If the [return on investment] isn’t sufficient to pay off the debt, China will repossess [the project, and it] becomes a debt-for-equity swap.”

China’s Belt and Road Initiative: Why the Price Is Too High - [email protected]

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
1,627 Posts
Nothing new about China and imports from Australia. Granted this time the context is vastly different.

That 2017 embargo last for five months for the NCMC. It took another two months to ramp back up. Our cattle are marketed at the neighboring NRLX.

There has been rumblings for years of the Australian Government pursuing new markets. China takes about 30% percent of our beef. India four percent. Indonesia two percent.

Definitely some scope there to allay our dependence on Chinese markets. The US, Brazil and India are our major competitors. The US have shown no quarter to Australia in the past when it comes to the beef industry, but why should they?

"The United States is a key competitor for Australia, shipping beef to over 130 different destinations, with a significant presence in Australia’s high value markets such as Japan and South Korea. South Korea is a major growth market for the US, with beef exports up 8% year on year. The US enjoy a tariff advantage over Australia when exporting to South Korea, with the 2020 tariff set to 16% (and a safeguard volume of 318,000) compared to Australia’s 21.3% (safeguard volume of 174,087 tonnes). Looking forward, US beef exports heading to Asia will likely increase with the new agricultural trade agreements with Japan and China opening further opportunities for US beef."

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,367 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Every few years china flexes its muscles nothing new, the dictatorship is purely arrogant and thinks it can get away with anything. In many ways they need us.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts