Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,618 Posts
China is now telling its privileged population to ignore AU as a travel destination due to racist activity, yes sure we have some morons who blame local Chinese people for covid, etc. but looking on the other side of China telling people to sty away and not buy AU goods, this could well be short term pain for long term gain, China may well need us more than we need them in the long game, ie, our iron ore is so much more pure than theirs or anyone elses, they are using ours to mix with theirs to get purity in their steel making, China has more ore reserves than us but their ore is about half the 'richness' of ours, so they mix ours with theirs to give it 'value'.
Mainland Chine! rack off and get a real life.
lol you forgot the coal issue. They need our coal to drive the refineries. Sure, they can find coal from other sources, but our coal is the cleanest burning and produces more thermal energy, as in heating value measured in kcal/kg, kJ/kg or BTU/lb, thus they get more bang for their buck.

Put the two together and the steel production cost goes up significantly when sourcing iron ore and coal from other countries.

Perhaps then the economics will more more to steel produced in the next 2 big refiners, Japan and India lol.

Would be good to see and a nice case of shooting one self in the foot.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
lol you forgot the coal issue. They need our coal to drive the refineries. Sure, they can find coal from other sources, but our coal is the cleanest burning and produces more thermal energy, as in heating value measured in kcal/kg, kJ/kg or BTU/lb, thus they get more bang for their buck.

Put the two together and the steel production cost goes up significantly when sourcing iron ore and coal from other countries.

Perhaps then the economics will more more to steel produced in the next 2 big refiners, Japan and India lol.

Would be good to see and a nice case of shooting one self in the foot.
No didn't forget, only used that one example of iron ore, yes we have probably the best coal in the world. Our bauxite is also among the purest in the world.

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,084 Posts
So the local rent-a-crowd protestors were in full swing in Mandurah yesterday, about an hour south of Perth.

This silly sod was on the tv mouthing off about disproportionate aboriginal deaths in custody, and how it is a national disgrace and should be rectified expedtiously.

If you’re going to protest and spew forth your piece on tv, you really should get your facts straight.

FACT; 27% of incarcerated folks in Australian jails are aboriginal.

FACT; 17% of deaths in custody are aboriginal folks.

Wait what?

Oh she’s right.... the rate of indigenous deaths in custody is disproportional.... only not in the direction her well informed flapping gums implied.

Maybe we should do something about the excessive rate of non-indigenous deaths in custody.

And perhaps these protesters can direct some of their cherry picked outrage at the disproportionate rates of family violence and child abuse in indigenous communities? Or maybe I missed that one.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
13,239 Posts
Data can be manipulated to your chosen view, it’s all about how you display your parameters.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,426 Posts
China is now telling its privileged population to ignore AU as a travel destination due to racist activity, yes sure we have some morons who blame local Chinese people for covid, etc. but looking on the other side of China telling people to sty away and not buy AU goods, this could well be short term pain for long term gain, China may well need us more than we need them in the long game, ie, our iron ore is so much more pure than theirs or anyone elses, they are using ours to mix with theirs to get purity in their steel making, China has more ore reserves than us but their ore is about half the 'richness' of ours, so they mix ours with theirs to give it 'value'.
Mainland Chine! rack off and get a real life.

Having worked at one of the 3 big players, the iron ore they were sending to China had to be blended as to downgrade the quality as it used less energy to smelt.

·
nissan patrol
15,618 Posts
That's always been true.

When I was doing my apprenticeship I was sent to Newman. One weekend we (supervised apprentices as we were all under 17) went out to a hidden pool in a mobile workshop truck, that was still within the Ophthalmia Range, for a swim.

On the mine truck we went it was a welder.

One of the tradies tool a 4lb mallet and welded directly onto the rock.

Why are they not mining here, someone ask.

Too pure, was the answer.

Difficult to mill and refine, good ore needs to have impurities.

We take ore grade x (can't remember what) and ore grade y and blend it.

We have to blend ours down, other countries have to blend up which also sends the cost up.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Having worked at one of the 3 big players, the iron ore they were sending to China had to be blended as to downgrade the quality as it used less energy to smelt.
Our ore is almost double the purity of what China mines itself on home soil.

·
Every dog has his day
nissan
18,084 Posts
Our purest is well over double the purity of China’s regular grade. I’ve witnessed first hand the lengths at which Rio Tinto go to minimize the quality (and moisture level, on an unrelated note) of the ore prior to it being shipped.
I don’t know how this compares to Brazil (as one example) but surely China knows where its bread is buttered and I can’t understand why we tolerate their threats so lamely when we have a product they need, if not now then certainly on an ongoing basis in the future.

I say $&@$ ‘em.

·
nissan patrol
15,618 Posts
Our purest is well over double the purity of China’s regular grade. I’ve witnessed first hand the lengths at which Rio Tinto go to minimize the quality (and moisture level, on an unrelated note) of the ore prior to it being shipped.
I don’t know how this compares to Brazil (as one example) but surely China knows where its bread is buttered and I can’t understand why we tolerate their threats so lamely when we have a product they need, if not now then certainly on an ongoing basis in the future.

I say $&@$ ‘em.
Same here, I have never had time for a bully, and given more than a few a good slapping over the years.

We should do the same to china.

$&@$ ‘em.

·
nissan patrol
15,618 Posts
Lee, just had a bit of a read up on Aust iron ore compared to Brazil's.

Ours average 63% Fe (pure, as in naturally deposited, is 69%) but ours can be as high as 67%

Brazil's average is ... there is no average.

The deposits are all over the place and can be anywhere between 37% and 52%.

From what I understand of it most of their ore is alluvial and found in loosely consolidated quartz sand beds, but there is a small percentage that is hard rock.

So easy to mine, but huge tracts of land need to be torn up to get at it due to the lower purity.

They ship to china at much the same grade (%) per tonne as we do as that is what china (and other countries who produce steel) demand, as that is what is required to feed the refineries (~61%).

Thus, to get to the pre refinery (shipping) grade takes a lot more work.

But the distance is the big issue, shipping, and therefore costs, escalate rapidly.

Moving an average of 400,000 metric tonnes of ore down around Cape Horn (they do not fit through the Panama Canal) through rough seas costs a lot of money. And going across and around Cape of Good Hope is just as problematic. But which ever way they go they are looking at ~3 times the shipping distance. Big $$$'s

However, the price per tonne to china is for delivered product so china could not give a rats ass about that.

So Brazil somewhat offsets the shipping and pre delivery costs with their very cheap labour costs, which of course filters right through the processes involved (for example, maintenance cost as substantially lower because of lower wages).

But, and there is always a but as they say.

It is the type of impurities that are in the grade of ore shipped (and I guess moisture content, as you mentioned, is in that mix). The impurities do not make for efficient smelting it would seem.

So the required energy to refine into steel (BTU's or what ever) escalates. More coal is required. And that is at china's expense.

At least that is what I can make out of it ...

And on the labour costs.

It is a very big issue. Twiggy Forrest is building a lot of ships to carry his ore, but they will not be Australian flagged (so not Aust crewed) as the labour costs are too high.

Our fleet ownership is coming to an end as the mandated labor (costs) and extra tax costs to have Aust flagged is too high. Seems, from what I see, it is all due to impositions put in place by government regulations, in that the coastal trading legislation that eventually morphed into, ironically, the Coastal Trading (Revitalising Australian Shipping) Act 2012) put in by labor did the exact opposite. The fleet of major Australian registered vessels with coastal licences dropped to just 14 vessels in 2015-16 compared with 30 vessels in 2006-07.

Go figure, so unlike Labor to fcuk something up ...

But there is hope, there is a "Coastal Trading (Revitalising Australian Shipping) amendment bill 2017" introduced into Parliament in September 2019 that may (or may not) fix that issue.

Shippers back BHP, BlueScope move to drop local iron ore vessels

Coastal Trading (Revitalising Australian Shipping) Act 2012

·
nissan patrol
15,618 Posts
Racists Cops in America. (why is this in the local politics section? Read on ...)

I started a thread on bookface about the issue of the false media portrayal about the ‘innocent’ and 'reformed' black man, george floyd, who was killed by the cops in Minnesota, stating that he was no innocent, and not reformed.

My theme was that he was a criminal and that the media was stirring the (IMO) cataclysm that is starting to unfold in the US with lies just to create division and induce the reactions we are now seeing. And all to fit their business model to keep the 24 hour news cycle going. And boy does that business model knows exactly what buttons to push.

I knew damn well that it was going to cause controversy… And it did.

Why no innocent? Simple, he had a long history of gun related violence and drug abuse. Irrelevant they said, you can’t take what has happened in the past and use it against him. He served his time they said, for give and forget…

Why not reformed? Again he was off his face on drugs (past history) and the shop witness where he tried to pass the counterfeit $$ bill (a crime) said he was drunk and was not in control of his body. The post mortem showed fentanyl intoxication, and he dropped a baggie of dope on the ground when the cops arrested him (a felony arrest in the US (illegal narcotic)).

He was sitting behind the wheel of a motor vehicle while under the influence (you get arrested here and in the US for that, so another crime), and there was a violent (past history) struggle in the back seat of the police cruiser (another crime of violently resisting arrest) before he was dragged out of and thrown to the ground, where he died at the hands of the cops, who should be charged with the highest murder degree by the by.

If he had not tried to pass a phoney $$ bill (crime) that brought the cops to the door of his vehicle where he was sitting behind the wheel while intoxicated (crime) that led to his arrest. He compounded that by dropping the baggie (crime) and violently resisting the arrest for the crimes he committed he would be alive today (if he had not ran a red light while intoxicated and killed the other in the car and some 'mom' and her kids on the way to playschool.

So, at the end of the day he was NO innocent and therefore complicit in his own death.

But all the media can scream from the headlines is ‘innocent black man’ killed at the hands of racist cops. While completely ignoring the fact that in the same city a black cop shot dead a real ‘innocent’ white woman dead and the same media said sweet FA (the Australian woman, back in 2017), and a couple of years before that real ‘innocent’ white kid was murdered by white cops in Dallas and again, from the media, all we heard was crickets chirping.

It is the media that is driving this and the dummies are falling for it (even our very own Mic). The issue should only be about Police Brutality… This Black Lives Matter is racist in it self. Where were they when the Australian woman was murdered by the cops, where are the local and international protests, riots, looting, memorials etc etc over that and the several hundred more unarmed, innocent and or defenceless non blacks who have died and the hands of the cops ? Nothing, nada, zip, bugger all …

I even had one friend (an African) PM me and say ‘I never knew you were a racist’ and promptly unfriended me. Which is ironic, because when I worked with him in Nigeria he said that I was the most non racist white man he had met of the all the expats that had worked there.

This media driven one sided argument is going to be the death of us all. BS I am told, it’s about racists cops I was told. No, I say, it should only be about police brutality, BS is the answer, Black Lives Matter (but it would seem only black lives matter really, as my mention of the Australian woman illustrates).

Now, I could not give a flying rats ass if you agree with them or not. That is not the point of this post.

The point is, due to the lies and misrepresentation of the facts in this matter by the media just to generate reactions that will feed the constant news cycle we now have talk of defunding of entire police departments in several major cities in the US and they are going to put the money saved into social services, cities with a hell of a lot of gun related violent crime where 2 out of 3 people have guns, and a great many have several …

I think we are watching the down fall of the leader of the free world, their country is crumbling into dust before our very eyes. History is happening right now, a societal downfall up there with the likes of the Egyptians, Assyrians, Romans, Mayans, Aztecs etc etc.

And the crims, and the Chinese, are rubbing their hands in glee. With the US done, the flip flop jackboot of the Chinese will have free reign and we are all screwed.

And there is a real threat this may carry on over here, in a more limited way, if any future govt (yes, I am pointing at labor) decides a good vote winner for our own issues with indigenous deaths in custody issue is to defund the cops ...

Mind you, it may be good for us. We don’t have that many guns in our society so the mayhem will be limited, and there will be a lot more drugs about. And given that I don’t mid a little indulgence in my retirement it might drive the price down. o_O o_O o_O 😝

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
13,239 Posts
Demonstrations are not easy things to organise, the speed and coordination of these demonstrations was exceptional, could they have been preorganised and just waiting for a ‘trigger’?

·
nissan patrol
15,618 Posts
Demonstrations are not easy things to organise, the speed and coordination of these demonstrations was exceptional, could they have been preorganised and just waiting for a ‘trigger’?
The demonstrations not so much, with social media it is relatively easy to get people out at short notice, then factor in that there are a hell of a lot of unemployed sitting around doing nothing because of covid.

The riots, looting and destruction? Of that there is no doubt, be they the white imperialists of the far right, or antifa and anarchists of the far left.

They are just waiting with baited breath for the media to stir up anger and division, which they know will happen on a regular basis.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
45,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
The last grab shows these peoples naivety and the need to climb out from under the rock they have been living. Yes, joy riding, rape, murder, assaults, road deaths, paedophilia, etc, etc, etc, will all go away if we shift money out of policing?????????????????

"Defund the police" means taking funds allocated for police forces across the US and channelling them into other public programs.

Supporters argue that police in America have become a catch-all service responsible for dealing with all of society's problems, something they were never meant to do and are not trained to do.

There are some groups that support the total abolition of police. One of them is MPD150, a group "working towards a police-free Minneapolis".

"Crime isn't random. Most of the time, it happens when someone has been unable to meet their basic needs through other means," the group writes on its website.

"By shifting money away from the police and toward services that actually meet those needs, we'll be able to get to a place where people won't need to rob banks.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
13,239 Posts
They are out there and breeding. 🤯

Reactions: Foo

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
13,239 Posts

·
I Have Imaginary Friends