15,536 Posts
-A w124 Merc wagon with an om606 and much hp

This needs pictures.

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,622 Posts
So much.
-A slide on hard side pop top cabin for this truck.
-I am currently building a full sheet CNC router from scratch.
-A w124 Merc wagon with an om606 and much hp.
-Probably a CNC milling machine at some point after the router.

That's just the current list....
It's a good thing my phone is waterproof. I may have drooled on it while reading that project list.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
I have been picking away at this radiator piping all week, my back heartily disapproves of grovelling on the concrete, I may have to find a crawler..

First thing I did was create something to make beads on that pipe, this seemed like a good idea but the pipe is 1.6mm wall thickness and quite resistant to change. Fortunately I have a large press, so this seemed a good way to do it;

QTmgA7s.jpg

Works sweet, just press and spin, press and spin etc. It is scary when you over do it and the two 8mm weld beads go pop, but otherwise uneventful.

Then I just cracked on, some of these boys go complicated;

q5vuZ3P.jpg

GdF6dOw.jpg

tx1xfM1.jpg

kyqUyYL.jpg

NO7N04w.jpg

Then I chucked them into place today;

sjA35mZ.jpg

TQ0nEpD.jpg

tlrXKhE.jpg

jHzYxhu.jpg

They have come up good, hopefully there are no leaks, I was in the zone when doing it but there is always room for a bollox up.

A couple of pics up you can see the drain plug I put in a relatively protected spot, but I reckon a skid guard is on the cards regardless.

You can also see the vent on the top of the rad which should help get the air out...

I just have to get what was the side drawer face mounted on hinges, find a feed for the fan relay then bolt everything back together.

Getting to the clutch slave will now be way more fun than it was.

In other news I believe I have well and truly sorted the brake situation, things are in transit right now and I will post a pic when that package arrives.....

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Some good looking things arrived, if these bad boys don't sort the brake issue then I'm not sure what will. They look monstrous.

This is not even the most expensive brake upgrade available, but definitely not cheap.

Some good y60 axles may come available very soon if anyone wants any.

iZ4uD4X.jpg

6m8ZRWX.jpg

QnzipKM.jpg

Old = 295mm x 20mm rotor, single pot.

New = 306mm x 34mm rotor, 2 pot.

The splash shields have been adjusted out of shape by the floor, they will need a bit of loving.

I'll probably do the wiper seals as one looks a little weepy.

It looks like the original 15's will fit over the brake setup, this is good. The axles are a bit wider than the y60 ones but with some 33x10.5 tyres the actual width will be pretty much the same as it currently has 33x12.5s.

I did model this in solidworks to make sure that was the case but time will tell.

Fun fun.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
They are the smaller of the GU brakes. And pretty sure they can all have a 15” wheel.
It was the TB48 that had the slightly bigger disc/calliper.
Some 15s did fit though. Can’t remember which ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
They are the smaller of the GU brakes. And pretty sure they can all have a 15” wheel.
It was the TB48 that had the slightly bigger disc/calliper.
Some 15s did fit though. Can’t remember which ones.

Yea I know you can go bigger with the tb48, but this should be a huge improvement, and it's a bonus that the 15s still fit as I like the look of them. I was prepared to buy some 16s with the right offset if they didn't, so this will be cheaper.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Amazing build, just found a spare hour to read from start to finish.

You have a talent for writing, too. Very enjoyable.

You know you're doing something good with a build when Ewan comments :)

Regarding rims for 33" tyres - 8" width is perfect, 9-10" increases the risk of rolling a bead off at low pressures.

I'd love to see it with 17" GU IV alloys painted satin black (that's what I run on my GQ).

Reactions: Heavensent

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Amazing build, just found a spare hour to read from start to finish.

You have a talent for writing, too. Very enjoyable.

You know you're doing something good with a build when Ewan comments :)

Regarding rims for 33" tyres - 8" width is perfect, 9-10" increases the risk of rolling a bead off at low pressures.

I'd love to see it with 17" GU IV alloys painted satin black (that's what I run on my GQ).
Thanks for that, I try to make it entertaining even if sometimes the subject matter is pretty dry.

Regarding the rims, I didn't really want to get into stupidly wide ones, 8" seems about right but I reckon my 7" steels will do fine with a 10.5" 33.

I have a rather proletariat view on mechanical things, so 17" alloys are probably off the cards. This is also why there are no ECU's in the build, nor power windows, nor power anything really. I think that sometime around the mid 90's cars got more complicated than they really needed to be. I am not going to paint it either, it already has scratches and dents and that's how I like it.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Thanks for that, I try to make it entertaining even if sometimes the subject matter is pretty dry.

Regarding the rims, I didn't really want to get into stupidly wide ones, 8" seems about right but I reckon my 7" steels will do fine with a 10.5" 33.

I have a rather proletariat view on mechanical things, so 17" alloys are probably off the cards. This is also why there are no ECU's in the build, nor power windows, nor power anything really. I think that sometime around the mid 90's cars got more complicated than they really needed to be. I am not going to paint it either, it already has scratches and dents and that's how I like it.
10.5” wide tyres on anything bigger than a 7” would suck. And I don’t think they would sit right.
I would have to check. But pretty sure my 255/85r16 are on 6” rims (haven’t ran them for ages).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
I chipped away at the rad piping and associated stuff this week, and finally kicked the old bitch into life on Saturday morning for some functional tests. The setup appears to work better than before, the return pipe is noticeably cooler than the out, and it didn't get hot enough to kick the fan in although I let it idle for quite a while after getting it up to temp. This is positive.

During the week I swapped out the locking hubs on the y60 axles, these had some nice manual lockers, whereas the y61 axles came with some factory auto lockers. I did manualise these though.

I also made some mesh guarding for the rad to prevent stone damage. I just tek screwed this on but will replace those with rivnuts when I get around to it.

R38mfoz.jpg

On Saturday morning I picked some rotors up and cracked on with refreshing the swivel hubs.

7C6a0Xc.jpg

m7PlH8r.jpg

I give them some extra loving apart from the swivel scraper, I replaced the bottom swivel bearing on both as they were a little corroded, plus the main inner axle seals plus the inner hub seals. I washed the wheels bearings out and repacked them, everything looked pretty good otherwise.

The axles were on a pallet sitting on some trestles, so after doing the first one I moved the pallet outside to spin it around for better access to the other side. At this point my forklift spat the dummy and stopped working, rather inconveniently sitting halfway out the shed door. I had just topped it up with diesel, and a similar thing happened the last time I topped it up. My guess it there is a whole lot of crap in the bottom of the tank and it sucked up something ugly. This annoyed me considerably. I did eventually get it going but it isn't happy, it will need some more loving I imagine

At the time I ended up dragging it out of the way and craning the axles onto the truck deck so I could continue work...

ToyLHui.jpg

The results of the weekends work;

EncnMwI.jpg

swq83v4.jpg

Mmm shiny.

Next job is to strip and check the calipers, I have some EBC yellowstuff pads on the way, they should be here tomorrow, so it should all be together and ready to go into the truck in a couple of days.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
dijjkRd.jpg

Sorted, I stripped and checked the clappers, all is well.

I have paid less for entire functioning cars than I did for the brake pads in there, bitches better be good.

The only thing holding me back from assembling it all is finding the correct rod end for the drag link, as I have modded the y60 drag link to suit the steering box setup and I want to continue using it. This meant sourcing a rod end; left hand thread, M22 x 1.5 male, taper to suit Y61 axles. This proved more difficult than I imagined. Hopefully I have now resolved it by sending a new Y60 rod end plus one of the ball joints from the Y61 drag link that came with the axles down to HBI Engineering in Christchurch, they will make a new ball and taper to suit and reseat it in the new rod end.

I did give the new axles a scrub and blew some black zinc over them in preparation though.

I also looked at my brake bias valve, the setup appears correct for the lift, but while I was jiggling it my fingers came away with a wee bit of brake fluid on, so I will strip this one to see of it is salvageable, otherwise look for a new one..

Instead of installing the axles this weekend I tidied up some other things. Mostly I spent the time installing a wideband to assist with tuning once I get the boost compensator on.

This is a Glowshift unit I got cheap off TradeMe, it goes up to 20:1, but who knows if it will be any use really. It was hosing with rain today so even though I finished the install I didn't check it out.

This might not be the best place for the sensor, but it was pretty convenient for welding the nut on;

HLccN0f.jpg

I now have any number of mismatched gauges jammed into the dash, I am not one to care much about aesthetics over function, but this looks a bit of a dog's breakfast. I'll do something about this later I think;

kfa1JG6.jpg

The other wee job was to stop the lid of the toolbox banging, this was clearly audible in the vid I posted while driving up my driveway. I hacked this device out of one of the seat rails that came from the Suzuki seats, we will see if it has the desired effect;

aUbCuwl.jpg

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Time to pull finger and swap those diffs out.

I sourced a y61 brake bias valve which arrived on Friday. The mounting is different so I fudged it in there, I will probably revisit this later. I had stripped the old one but there were more than just standard o rings in there, so I gave up.

It was pretty clear that the old valve was stuck open so the rear brakes were pretty ineffective.

I couldn't get the front high enough for comfort using the axle stands, and considering I would be working under a couple of ton of steel I decided to make this stand out of scrap.

Then I looked at the potential moment forces on that cross bar, pondered how much it would suck to die at this point in my life, then added some struts to it.

Along with the axle stands mid chassis, this was pretty sturdy.

A short while later;

A few hours of spannering had everything back together, including many $$ worth of Penrite LSD and standard diff oil.

There is definitely some added sticky outy, this will be pulled back a bit with the new tyres.

Now to convince the wife to come down to a cold shed to help me bleed the brakes...

There is no real hurry for this as the tie rod end has not yet turned up so it's not like I can road test it yet.

All good.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,194 Posts
You may need to play around with the brake bias (load sensing) valve spring adjustment seeing as yours is such a different setup, just in case you don't have it, here is the setting system for normal vehicles:

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
You may need to play around with the brake bias (load sensing) valve spring adjustment seeing as yours is such a different setup, just in case you don't have it, here is the setting system for normal vehicles:
View attachment 521566
Cheers, I had already scoured the site for info and found that. I intend to do a bit of testing to get it right, basically back it off until the rears lock, then bring it in till they don't.

I figure this is the most sensible way as I have a bit more weight in the front and a bit less in the back so the factory set up may not work for me.

I see the y61 rear calipers are a bit smaller, although I didn't check the piston size. I am imagining that the massive fronts and potentially smaller rears will be doing a lot to bias things anyway...

·
Registered
nissan
65 Posts
Great project and an interesting read. Always good to see someone do something a little different!!!

Reactions: ThePog

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Cheers, it has been a good time so far. I am so close to getting it on the road, I can't wait...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Well it is looking quite a bit more staunch now I have the rims and tyres.

The brakes are pretty good now, although they don't have a lot of feel they pull up hard.

I also have a vin number, so time for a warrant check, cert, then compliance....

YD5HwlW.jpg

46Pw78G.jpg

kuhWnBU.jpg

paTnrw3.jpg

·
Registered
nissan g160
280 Posts
I also have a vin number, so time for a warrant check, cert, then compliance....
Haha that is one thing I certainly don't miss about my homeland. Constantly having to get a WOF is a drag. Just feels like such a rort. Especially when you have to deal with a testing station
Have to admit it's kinda funny seeing the reality of WOF-less life in QLD. It's not exactly the jalopy chaos that NZ is lead to believe would take hold. There are surprisingly few chitboxes getting around.

Here's hoping they let you through with minimal grief.

101 - 120 of 150 Posts