Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of us know about it, many of us have experienced it.
Here's why mine did it and how I fixed it.
Mine had always done it no matter what wheels and tyres, std height or lifted. Mind you when I bought it in 06 the LH rear lower trailing arm had a what seemed a deliberate dog leg kink in it which I changed pretty quick for a straight one given the knowledge that bent ones are weakened considerably
Set up is 4" with dropped arms castor built in. Adjustable drag link and panhards etc.
After checking or taking care of all the usual suspects I ended up measuring the distance between the front and rear axles on both sides. There was about 6-7mm difference. The rear axle appeared to be skewed to the left hand side. A toe in alignment at the wheel aligners a few weeks ago confirmed the discrepancy too. On the print out it showed 10mm difference diagonally between the tyres.
I put adjustable upper and lower arms in yesterday and set it up so the axles are equal distance apart.
Took it for a drive and let go of the wheel. Damn thing drove straight as a die!
Will drift ever so slightly now to left if you go right to the edge of the road at the worst of the camber but I think that's normal.

Wheel aligner said he comes across this axle problem often on Patrols even late models so check yours if it's pulling to the left more than it should

Cheers

·
Premium Member
nissan
7,037 Posts
This info should be added to one of the stickies. This has never been a problem with my car but I've certainly heard of many with it.

Thanks for letting us all know.

Cheers,

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,215 Posts
Added to Known Issues and Fix sticky.

BTW, at home a careful string line check down either side between front and back tyre faces, manipulating the steering wheel carefully until the front and back faces of the front tyre both just touch the tight string, then get someone to measure the difference between the gaps at the back, this indicates direction back is tracking towards.

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always thought it was axle steer from uneven loads (although that could cause it too but with my car sitting dead level on level ground it was easy to work out

1 - 6 of 6 Posts