Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread got me thinking.

I'd like to start an ongoing thread where we can add relevant things we find that are made in Australia. We obviously have a pretty retail-heavy hobby here, and it's a really important time to support Australian made.

After you factor in the quality, lifespan and warranty support of many Aus made products, the cost is often not too bad compared to the Chinese landfill stuff out there.

So let us know anything you find that members might be interested in buying for their Patrols, camp gear etc, and anything that sets it apart from the competition.

I'll start with a few

GME UHF radios
I never knew until recently that these are all designed and made in Australia. They have a great reputation for features and reliability. The in-vehicle models are getting very popular, which means you can use their bluetooth app to your phone to see where your mates are on a map via GPS. A bunch of other cool features too like instant scan. Looks like their top of the line model with all steel casing etc costs about $150 more than the kings equivalent. Five year warranty.

George 4x4 recovery gear
"Based in Brisbane, Australia, George 4x4 is an experienced manufacturer of soft shackle and synthetic winch rope. We are a proud owner of a factory that produces the highest quality rated shackle and hitch tow bars."
Looks like bloody nice gear. All hand spliced in Brissy, and not even expensive. For reference, a 10t bridle and a pair of soft shackles is about $120

Drifta
Don't really need to say anything else do I? You won't find a bad review of the drifta drawers. I saw some in action recently, and they're beautiful. Much lighter and with MUCH more space than the Titan crap I threw out of my wagon recently. They also make loads of other gear. Canvas gear, replacement bags for other brands (Improved oztent bags!!), pull out kitchens, swags, leather gear, recovery gear, 12v electrical kit and fitouts etc. What they don't make themselves are quality imports such as Japanese made snowpeak.
You could build a luxurious camp kit from scratch from these guys.
They employ 90+ staff if I remember right. Truly supporting Australian manufacturing and jobs.

Lightforce (Venom + Genesis models. Maybe others?) LED lights
Looks like lightforce are doing some LED spotlights made in Aus. They already had a good reputation before, and I've read amazing things about these two models.

Treds AND Maxtrax
I assumed anything plastic came out of China, but the two most premium recovery boards are both made in Oz. Maxtrax are a bit more dear, but Treds are only a bit more costly than the ebay equivalent, and will definitely outlast them. Can't go wrong with either

Bushwakka ("True blue" 270 awning)
The Bushwakka "True Blue" 270 awning is a freestanding made in Australia wrap around awning. What's interesting is that they still sell their imported 270 awning for $900, but have this Australian made one as an option for $1600. Same design, but they reckon the "True blue" is stronger and has better canvas. Good on them for having the option, as that's quite a price difference.

Supa-Peg
This is an easy one!!! Next time you need tent pegs, get these suckers instead. They cost basically nothing (Snowys stocks them and has free shipping) and are MUCH better than the Chinese crap that came with your tent! Sand pegs, spring pegs, spreader bars, poles, guy ropes, even awnings and they all have some actually useful innovations. Here's a cool video

That's all I can think of right now, but would love to hear more.

Cheers

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,965 Posts
REDARC... Nuff said...

Also, NARVA. Not sure how much of their stuff is "Made" in Aus, but they're a good Aussie company.

·
Registered
Nissan Patrol Y61 2014Titanium
38 Posts

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn’t think of Redarc! Wow. Truth be told, I didn’t think that all their stuff would be aus made but i just double checked and it sure is.
I wish I had spent the extra for a bcdc instead of my Ctek. Oh well. My Redarc gauges are going strong. Actually I had some trouble getting the wiring sorted (3 in 1 gauge plus optional lighting controller = heaps of wires) and their support was bloody amazing.
after they couldn’t help me get it sorted over the phone, it was deemed a potentially faulty unit. They then express freighted me a new one and booked me in at a nearby Redarc authorised installer for a free professional install.
That kind of after sales support is near priceless.

·
Premium Member
2016 CRD wagon
1,099 Posts
Evakool fridges - but only the fiberglass ones.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the white fiberglass Evakool fridge boxes are still made here in oz (Caloundra) then the cooling unit is assembled (using secop compressor and other imported components) here aswell.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Reactions: jackbyo

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,734 Posts
Aussie Outback Supplies swags and bags. My understanding is that they use Aussie canvas too.

Hillbilly camping gear. Pans, grills, camp ovens etc for cooking over a fire, good quality stuff too.

Travel buddy camp ovens.

Southern Cross Canvas products. Tents, swags and custom products.

The majority of Bowdens Own products are Aussie made and in Aussie packaging. Not camping related necessarily, but everyone's car needs a good was and clean after a trip.

·
Registered
Nissan MK,GQ & now GU.
1,725 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sauls Swags and Murchison River Swags are probably the best money can buy for your traditional style. Both old school Aussie swag makers.

·
Registered
09 ZD30 CRD Wagon
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
On the subject of cooking gear.
Ive always admired the Hillbilly gear. Packs down small and the swing-away concept is very cool. I've always hated fire grills with the fold out legs, as moving it when it's too hot is often a disaster.
A shame kings are now ripping it off (with metal that will rust and warp in the heat of course).

I also like the hillbilly fire pit. The legs are removable and are designed to be tall enough to not ruin the grass underneath.

But my favourite item of theres has to be the simple spun steel frying pan with the hinged handle. Spun steel is so much better than cast iron IMO (Much lighter), and the foldaway handle is handy for storing in drawers etc

Omelette Frypan - 230mm Diameter (The handle on this item does not fit onto the Cookstand Pole).

Omelette Frypan - 230mm Diameter (The handle on this item does not fit onto the Cookstand Pole).

I saw a stack of this stuff in a store the other day. BLOODY NICE cookware. All aus made. Clever design features too. I might get some for home, but would work well in the camp kit too

1 - 15 of 15 Posts