Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Premium Member
Triton n Lovin it.
Meh, we have to put up with that chit in the trucks so I have no problem with it. ;-)

Foo

nissan patrol
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aye, and I have had drive right in company supplied vehicles for years, so I also have no issue with it.

But knowing our Nanny overlords I can see the temptation to use to track people, 1km over the limit, here is your fine. Drove 100kms above the yearly average, here is a prorated road tax.

I can see why it is good for commercial vehicles as it protects the driver from unscrupulous employers, as well as other road users from tired drivers that are pushed to hard just to make a buck.

But Joe Public, not so sure on that.

About the only thing I would advocate in private vehicles are breath testers, over the limit, car wont start. We all know that booze robs you of the ability to make the correct personal choices.

Registered
nissan patrol
I have no probs with it. Do no wrong...nothing to hide. If it did in fact help with collisions/emergency situations well I say why not.

nissan patrol
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No problems with accident side of it muzz, it the other uses that worry me.

1km over the limit (less than the error of any vehicle) that will be $75 please, at 5 times a day or more.

Looks like you will all make happy little drones ... :p

Reactions: motomuzz

Registered
Nah i wouldn't be a fan, IF it did come out, i am sure the government would be all over the tracking for excess k's\speed:rolleyes:

That's not how the game is played, if i speed and you catch me, then fair enough, if i speed and you don't see it, then it is a win for me:mrgreen:

Big brother IS coming, no point making easy for the *****s;)

Registered
nissan
That idea has been doing the rounds in the UK for quite a few years now, but it was always coming out of the labour think tanks as a new way to collect tax.

The safety side of it is, in my eyes almost a must, but as a revenue side of it, the only way to stop it is to boycott the purchase of new cars, and that's not going to happen is it.

Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
Rip it out of the car, hook it up to a car battery in the shed so it still gives a signal.
No speeding fines that way ;)

But speaking of pathetic cash grabs: in Vic we will soon have speed cameras that can detect 8 lanes of traffic. For "safety" of course, and not just another ridiculous revenue raiser for our supreme overlords.

Registered
nissan patrol
No problems with accident side of it muzz, it the other uses that worry me.

1km over the limit (less than the error of any vehicle) that will be $75 please, at 5 times a day or more.

Looks like you will all make happy little drones ... :p
Yeh didnt think of it that way. Oh well everyone would be doing 95 in 100 zones ect ect, and you'd have to be 100% sure on your speedo correction/tyres.No more big brother than what the world is today.
No biggy.:confused:

I went for a supercruise in the ol girl today and passed about a thooooousand cops with radars.They were like hookers on every corner of Port Kembla today

Registered
nissan gu
then what... make everyone who owns a car pre 2015 must get a "black box"...

...good 'ol government

Registered
nissan
I'm not a fan of the idea. Whilst I don't condone speeding, there is an element of human error in all of us and we're not being honest if we say there aren't times we've had a lapse in concentration and gone a km or two over the limit. This is where speed alerts are fantastic, but to have it monitored and be fined every time is not right.

As Benjamin Franklin said "He who gives up essential liberty for temporary safety deserves neither liberty or safety".

nissan patrol
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You have got that right ozz ...

I have said it myself on occasions when it is warranted (hoon laws etc)

What maybe ok today may not be ok tomorrow once you strip away all civil liberties.

Registered
nissan patrol
I dont understand guys. maybe I think different? If I dont speed, then I dont get fined. Simple I thought.:-?

Registered
nissan gu
following that logic...

if you don't drink, you support prohibition?
if you don't smoke, you support all the anti-smoking propaganda?

nissan patrol
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Never been 1km over the limit?? Damn, you must be one of those doing 10km under the limit on the outside lane lol.

More to this than just the speeding aspect muzz, a hell of a lot more.

nissan patrol
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dateline 2025 (or 2016).

You have a big farkoff 4x4, you know, that horrid vehicle that every greenie hates and people throw rocks at in leafy suburbs for disturbing their peace.

Govt now taxes vehicles per km (already being talked about and would need this technology to work).

Leafy suburb greenies demand govt increases per km tax on 4x4鈥檚 for environmental damage.

Your 4x4 is only allowed 1500kms a year now before super road tax comes in at 150%.

Govt needs more revenue, increases taxes on those hateful 4x4 drivers because it is easy revenue and they are a minority so their opinions do not count.

Km tax for 4x4 increases 300%, excess km tax increases 700%. All double if vehicle is found to have driven even 1km over the limit.

Vehicle was also found to have strayed onto verge on the Gibb River Rd (GPS locator alerts govt). 500% tax penalty for roadside flora and fauna damage.

Hypothetically speaking of course ...

As I said, thin edge of the wedge ...

Registered
nissan patrol
following that logic...

if you don't drink, you support prohibition?
if you don't smoke, you support all the anti-smoking propaganda?

:shock no none of the above. I just don't speed cos it cost money and I didn't make the law. I'm 1st gen aussie of Scotsman ya know?

I've been done speeding was 11 years ago. Best waste of money I've ever endured. And no not 10 under DB I do 5 under.:)

Registered
nissan patrol
But I can see the big bro probs it may cause.

Registered
I dont think the police would or could use it without changes to legislation. I know the Police union successfully stopped the WA police from fitting it to police vehicles.

My employer fits an integrated vehicle monitoring system to all our vehicles and those of contractors The data is used to issue written warnings and sack people for breaches of the speed limits. One speed event of over 15kmh over the limit and its out the door. No ifs buts or maybe's. I'm ok with that, its work, work sets lots of rules that go far in excess of what happens in the private world and I get paid to comply. I was told a very long time ago when I got my on the job training that I would be a very special kind of idiot to get caught speeding on work time. In 24 or so years of driving work cars I've never been caught speeding in a work car.

In my own car I very rarely speed. I wouldnt be worried about the police. I'd be worried about my insurance company. I'm sure they would use vehicle data to disallow insurance claims in a flash. I'm sure they would use any history of speeding, excessive acceleration, harsh braking or cornering to paint a picture of a driver that doesnt comply. That would be easy to use to increase your excess and your premium. They wouldnt use it to bring your premium or your excess down though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts