Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

3261 - 3280 of 3297 Posts

·
Here To Be Entertained
Currently not a vehicle owner
12,016 Posts
WTF, when do people grow up and behave like adults? A 49 year old man up here taking 2 students to an end of year event in his hotrod Torana does a massive burnout in a main street, loses control and slams into a concrete barrier outside a restaurant injuring 2 customers, fairdinkum what a moron.
Ashamed to admit that in my younger days when the oldies owned a house just up the road, I quite often would leave a little rubber in that exact spot. TBH though it wasn't hard to as there was always sand on that bit of road. Coming out of the southern end of Kings Beach carpark was another favourite.

·
Registered
33,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3,263
TBH I was never one for doing burn outs when younger.. And still doesn't interest me..

But I have been in my mates cars which one time we went through someones front brick fence..
Another time he did a bit of harvesting of some banana trees in someone's front yard...😱

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,859 Posts
Ashamed to admit that in my younger days when the oldies owned a house just up the road, I quite often would leave a little rubber in that exact spot. TBH though it wasn't hard to as there was always sand on that bit of road. Coming out of the southern end of Kings Beach carpark was another favourite.
There's a lot of difference between leaving a bit of rubber and a full on burn out where you lose control because of other traffic, Tavners Hill Leichardt in the 60's and my teens, I would regularly leave rubber on the road from the lights at the bottom of the hill as we would drag race up the hill, no side streets on either side, an industrial area and a divided road, most of all, much less traffic compared to today. Plus, this guy is not a kid, reports vary between 44 and 49 years old, he's been there and done that but has no common sense.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,859 Posts
I never had a car that was capable of doing those types of burnouts when I was a kid, always had N/A diesels :ROFLMAO:Probably not a bad thing looking back on it now.
A mate of mine had a Simca Aronde, 1300cc model in which he transplanted a worked 179, a weapon that blew of many unsuspecting 'performance' cars of the day. Funnily enough we had several places where we would do that, the aforementioned Taveners Hill, Heathcote Road and Brickworks Road behind the old abattoir where the Olympic Stadium was eventually built. around the time of the 351HO was when I noticed a change in attitude by some of us 'Hoons'. In a drag if you were beaten you were beaten and it was accepted, but I remember the first death at Brickies (which had a marked 1/4 mile) two HO's were at it but the guy coming second couldn't handle it and pushed to continue, he lost control and was killed, the not giving up bit seemed to creep in more and more. By this time I was circuit racing at open meetings like Oran Park, Amaroo Park, Catalina Park (the tunnel of love was an interesting experience the first time you did it), etc, etc. The interesting thing was we all thought we were the best drivers in the world, but when some of us transitioned from road racing to proper circuit racing we realised we didn't have a clue.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,859 Posts
I had a Mini Cooper S. Knew nothing about burnouts. Or handbreakies.
My first brick, a 998 short stroke cooper, was doing 15's for the quarter (tested at Castlereigh) in the later 60's after an upgrade, being a 70/30 weight distribution it would light up easily.

·
Pass the Popcorn
Nissan Datsun Patrol
6,559 Posts

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,289 Posts
Its a water tank bolted to a chassis!

Take a few 9's out and it might be in the ballpark!

Funky Unique Custom Camper Trailer Camping Light Compact Bed Chairs,

Price: $3,999.95 Negotiable

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Must be the paint job that makes it worth $4k... :unsure:

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
10,089 Posts
TBH I was never one for doing burn outs when younger.. And still doesn't interest me..

But I have been in my mates cars which one time we went through someones front brick fence..
Another time he did a bit of harvesting of some banana trees in someone's front yard...
Same here, when I was young, my sisters BF was a hoon with a HQ SS Kingswood. It did good burnouts, but the amount of times he nearly crashed , once into Corio Bay with me in the car. It turned me off doing that type of stuff, plus tyres cost too much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
24,963 Posts
Reactions: Yeti's Beast

·
Registered
Triton n Lovin it.
24,963 Posts

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
2,571 Posts
At least that's only through the tyre, I saw a photo a while ago where one had gone through the tyre and rim.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
2,289 Posts
Back in the day when I owned a D22 King Cab (my first ZD30) I was driving through town with the window open when I heard a "tick tick tick" the dreaded pssssssssssst noise. Stopped and had a look and saw a 13mm hex bolt head in the tread. I thought, oh well... :cautious: Luckily there was a reputable tyre shop just down the road so I continued on at a slow pace as it wasn't losing pressure at an alarming rate.

When I got to the shop and they had the wheel off, they proceeded with extracting, what looked like an a/c compressor mounting bolt (must've been at least 150mm long) from the tyre. Luckily the hole was small enough for them to plug it, so it didn't cost me a tyre.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
47,859 Posts
3 year old child dies after being left in a 4wd for hours in sweltering heat up at Townsville, 2 charged..... They are out there and they walk amongst us.

3261 - 3280 of 3297 Posts