Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

3301 - 3320 of 3417 Posts

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
2,727 Posts
Do people leave their brains at home when they fly? On both flights down, when I got on there was someone in my seat. Most of them have no idea what safe distancing means, straight up out of their seats & squeezed into the aisle as soon as the plane stopped. FMD

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,627 Posts
Do people leave their brains at home when they fly? On both flights down, when I got on there was someone in my seat. Most of them have no idea what safe distancing means, straight up out of their seats & squeezed into the aisle as soon as the plane stopped. FMD
Don't get that one. Especially those that I then see waiting at the baggage carousel.

I just sit there and keep reading my book until everybody else has p****d off and I can get out easily.

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,960 Posts
Jetstar only include 7kg of carry on, gotta make the most of it one way or another...

Reactions: 62woollybugger

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,417 Posts
“Do night shift they said.
“It will be heaps cooler than day shift”, they said.

Pigs bloody arse.

Only been home from here 2 days in last 28, one more night then back in the land of sleep and recreation.

Jokes aside, I’m close to losing the plot I think so just in the nick of time.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
15,549 Posts
Time to go home, you are probably suffering from PTSD. Overworked. R & R will help, you will need to be careful with this.

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,417 Posts
Time to go home, you are probably suffering from PTSD. Overworked. R & R will help, you will need to be careful with this.
Mate this is going to sound whiny, and I accept that, but I was borderline posting this in the RUOK thread except my issue (own choice) pales into insignificance compared to the good people on there, and my heart goes out to every one of them.

I was trying to make humour out of it I guess being hot and all, and fark me it is, even at night, but the reality is I really struggle with night shift. No matter how tired I am, after a couple of hours my body clock just says no, it’s day time. Sleeping drugs... two restavit and two fenergen (drowsy hay fever tablets) gets me another few hours, broken up by needing to pee every hour, and it’s not quality sleep. So of course it’s coffee all night. It’s hard enough up here as it is without throwing nights into the mix, some folks cope well and good luck to them, I’m not one of them.

I did 8 days here, then home for 6 days (2 days solid study, 4 days capstone exams, next day back here for a week of days, a week of nights, home for 2 days, back here for another 6 days and 7 nights, and no joke I could burst into tears for no reason at all. 2 days off in 6 weeks basically. Somehow I have managed to maintain an even temper (my issues are not the fault of anyone here, I keep telling myself) and the constant support of Mrs L, my best friend in the world, is probably the only thing that has kept me sane.

I don’t know how blokes with young families do this.

I’m not chasing solutions or advice, just unloading. I understand this is my choice to do this so have no one to blame but myself, and I’ll be home tomorrow lunchtime (just one more night) and I get to see my favourite person and collect my favourite patrol from a good mate who’s had it for six weeks patiently waiting for my triumphant return, with a shiny new toy on the back of it.

I’ll be my usual self in a couple of days I’m sure.

Cheers gents. I feel strangely better.

That is all

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
15,549 Posts
Mate this is going to sound whiny, and I accept that, but I was borderline posting this in the RUOK thread except my issue (own choice) pales into insignificance compared to the good people on there, and my heart goes out to every one of them.

I was trying to make humour out of it I guess being hot and all, and fark me it is, even at night, but the reality is I really struggle with night shift. No matter how tired I am, after a couple of hours my body clock just says no, it’s day time. Sleeping drugs... two restavit and two fenergen (drowsy hay fever tablets) gets me another few hours, broken up by needing to pee every hour, and it’s not quality sleep. So of course it’s coffee all night. It’s hard enough up here as it is without throwing nights into the mix, some folks cope well and good luck to them, I’m not one of them.

I did 8 days here, then home for 6 days (2 days solid study, 4 days capstone exams, next day back here for a week of days, a week of nights, home for 2 days, back here for another 6 days and 7 nights, and no joke I could burst into tears for no reason at all. 2 days off in 6 weeks basically. Somehow I have managed to maintain an even temper (my issues are not the fault of anyone here, I keep telling myself) and the constant support of Mrs L, my best friend in the world, is probably the only thing that has kept me sane.

I’m not chasing solutions or advice, just unloading. I understand this is my choice to do this so have no one to blame but myself, and I’ll be home tomorrow lunchtime (just one more night) and I get to see my favourite person and collect my favourite patrol from a good mate who’s had it for six weeks patiently waiting for my triumphant return, with a shiny new toy on the back of it.

That is all
What you have just done is called ‘debriefing’, the best way to help yourself. I once did night shift, nothing as technical as you’re doing (dozer on the Hinze Dam) and it screwed with my 23 year old body, no chemicals to help and I don’t drink coffee, living in a caravan park sleep didn’t come too easily.
The best thing you can do is get on here and jabber away.
Enjoy your break and spend quality time with Mrs L. 👍

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,117 Posts
What you have just done is called ‘debriefing’, the best way to help yourself. I once did night shift, nothing as technical as you’re doing (dozer on the Hinze Dam) and it screwed with my 23 year old body, no chemicals to help and I don’t drink coffee, living in a caravan park sleep didn’t come too easily.
The best thing you can do is get on here and jabber away.
Enjoy your break and spend quality time with Mrs L. 👍
Ooooh,and I thought debriefing was something he would do behind closed doors once he was home :love:

·
Registered
nissan patrol
7,443 Posts

That is all
Ill admit im finding night shifts dont take as kindly to myself as im slowly getting more mature......i wouldn't say old just yet.....
Amd same issue, struggle to bloody sleep during the day.
Knocks you pretty hard.

Let alone at your ripe old age , sorry couldnt help myself.

I definitely couldn't do fifo though,would hate being away from the family, but i do enjoy shift work and days offf during the week.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

·
Every dog has his day
2005 TD42 GUIV
18,417 Posts
Well... as Haggie and OB would understand, when connecting a brand new 3 phase motor you have a 50/50 chance of it going the right way. If it’s wrong, you reisolate it and swap any two phases to reverse its direction. On agitators it’s not so important, with pumps it’s critical.

Tonight I have connected 4 new motors. 3 of them were bumped and went the wrong way. The 4th has not had permit stripped so yet to be determined.

There’s Murphy’s law for you. Lucky I’m smart enough not to put denso tape on the covers until correct direction confirmed!

6 hours to go.

Counting every bloody minute.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
15,549 Posts
Jackpot, 100%

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
2,627 Posts
My grandfather tells the story of when he was an apprentice electrician back in the 1940s. One of the tradesman demonstrated how it was possible to wire up the starting windings for one direction of rotation, and the run windings for the opposite direction. Motor started, then suddenly spun the other way (obviously not connected to any machinery).

Several years later as a qualified maintenance man (at a different factory) he came in to work to find utter chaos. Overnight they had serviced one of the machines, and now it kept tripping out every time they tried to start it. He went about his business in the rest of the factory, until an idea struck him. So he went over, put forth his theory that the run windings were connected for opposite rotation, and was given the go ahead to try to fix it (4 hours late for startup, they would have tried anything!).

Sure enough, that was the problem, and the inertia of the machine meant it wouldn't reverse, but would overload trying. He got a days wage bonus for that from the owner. Cash on the spot.

·
Premium Member
nissan
6,938 Posts
He got a days wage bonus for that from the owner.
There are a couple of times I got bonuses like that. I remember once right on knock off time when I was a 4th year apprentice I got an urgent work order from the area process foreman to reverse the motor on a tank stirrer to wind a new drive chain onto its sprockets just after the fitters had changed a gearbox which failed. This was not recommended practice but was a lot quicker than removal and realignment of the motor which was the alternative which would take a couple of hours instead of 20 minutes. I did the phase change on the motor and was looking at the newly installed gearbox and saw it had an arrow cast into the end housing indicating direction of rotation which we were just about to oppose. I knew that most gearboxes were fine in either direction for a brief period but some of them could be destroyed if turned the wrong way under load. Starting up a tank stirrer that had been stopped for several hours was as high a load as you can get.

While I was pondering this arrow the process foreman turned up and asked if we were ready to go. I pointed out the arrow and said I needed to check with a maintenance supervisor about reversing this gearbox. The process foreman spat the dummy saying all of those guys had just gone home and that if the stirrer was stopped for any longer they were likely to get it bogged which meant a lot of very unpleasant work for several guys as the tank had to be opened and sump pumps connected and guys with fire hoses stirring up the settled sediment. It was a minimum of another 4 hours work for half a dozen guys wearing ventilated suits in 35 degree heat at 90% humidity. I was young and really felt the pressure from this foreman to just do what the work order said, then remove my lock from the isolator.

Fortunately I managed to find one of the mechanical foreman working late in his office and he said that no way could that gearbox be reversed. He came straight to the location and gave the process foreman a gobfull for writing the work order in the first place without consulting anyone in maintenance. It seems we were about to destroy the only spare gearbox of that type on the site and getting a replacement would take a few days, even by airfreight, which would shut the plant down. So I spent the next two hours setting up a hoist, unbolting the motor, fitting the drive chain and realigning the motor with the help of the mechanical foreman. The mechanical foreman then wrote me a work order for 8 hours overtime instead of the 2 it had taken. Bargain.

·
Registered
nissan gq
2,117 Posts
Well... as Haggie and OB would understand, when connecting a brand new 3 phase motor you have a 50/50 chance of it going the right way. If it’s wrong, you reisolate it and swap any two phases to reverse its direction. On agitators it’s not so important, with pumps it’s critical.

Tonight I have connected 4 new motors. 3 of them were bumped and went the wrong way. The 4th has not had permit stripped so yet to be determined.

There’s Murphy’s law for you. Lucky I’m smart enough not to put denso tape on the covers until correct direction confirmed!

6 hours to go.

Counting every bloody minute.
That's a bast*&^ when the impellor unwinds inside the housing 🤢

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
15,549 Posts
3301 - 3320 of 3417 Posts