Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
4621 - 4640 of 4687 Posts

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
21,664 Posts
There is a Mazda 6 turbo diesel wagon for sale here I've been considering going to look at... Maybe not now? lol

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Nuffin now
28,818 Posts

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
3,830 Posts
There is a Mazda 6 turbo diesel wagon for sale here I've been considering going to look at... Maybe not now? lol
Give it a miss. There's not much to commend newer diesels. Extra $$$ to buy, extra $$$ to service, and expensive parts when something goes wrong.

I was reading a discussion online where a Yank was talking about his Ford F??? work truck with a V10 petrol engine. Cue the Europeans asking about fuel costs, why don't you run a diesel, etc.

"Because I can buy a brand new engine for less than an injector pump and injectors for the diesel engine version of this truck."

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,671 Posts
Not sure what fuel prices are like in other places, but around here diesel is 15 - 25c/L more than petrol & diesel prices are expected to stay high for some time. Wish Nissan would bring back the GU with a modern straight six turbo petrol.

·
Registered
2003 GU PATROL
21,664 Posts
Cheers guys I'll take it off the list!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Nuffin now
28,818 Posts
Not sure what fuel prices are like in other places, but around here diesel is 15 - 25c/L more than petrol & diesel prices are expected to stay high for some time. Wish Nissan would bring back the GU with a modern straight six turbo petrol.
You mean V6. ;)

Foo

• Angry
Reactions: 62woollybugger

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,767 Posts
You mean V6. ;)

Foo
V6 might not be all they are cracked up to be. To my knowledge BMW have not made a production vehicle with a V6, they often experiment but don't continue. I read years ago that part of the reason was poor harmonics. So, @62woollybugger a Straight 6 would do ;).

·
Premium Member
Nuffin now
28,818 Posts
V6 might not be all they are cracked up to be. To my knowledge BMW have not made a production vehicle with a V6, they often experiment but don't continue. I read years ago that part of the reason was poor harmonics. So, @62woollybugger a Straight 6 would do ;).
Would have thought by now, that they would have solved that problem. Why do they work in petrol? :unsure:

Foo

·
Premium Member
Nuffin now
28,818 Posts
Give me a 3.6ltr four pot then. 😁

Foo

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
1,430 Posts
There is a navara v6 turbo diesel out there they never made many dont know the reason, but the one a mate has is doing well compared to the other 4 cylinder navaras you usually see around

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
20,290 Posts
They don't work particularly well, but car makers use them anyway for reasons of economics.
I had a V6 commode, about 400000k on it, engine was fine, auto box wasn’t happy when I traded it on the V8 Statesman Capris, now that was a nice vehicle, brakes were ordinary though.

Reactions: Foo

·
Registered
1989 GQ TD42 wagon
3,830 Posts
I had a V6 commode, about 400000k on it, engine was fine, auto box wasn’t happy when I traded it on the V8 Statesman Capris, now that was a nice vehicle, brakes were ordinary though.
There's definitely some engine models car makers have gotten to work, but the balance and uneven firing issues make it a more complicated affair than a straight 6. The only reason car makers use them is that they fit more easily in FWD cars than a straight 6; and then they make versions of those V6s to mount longitudinally in RWD/4WD cars to save money.

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,870 Posts
There is a navara v6 turbo diesel out there they never made many dont know the reason, but the one a mate has is doing well compared to the other 4 cylinder navaras you usually see around
That'd be the 550Nm V6, advertised as "the world's most powerful tradie"...Very nice.
A mate bought one new and looked after it well, but it put a leg out of bed just rolling along the Hume.....

·
Registered
1998 2.8GU wagon
3,671 Posts
This guy explains the balance etc of various 6 cylinder engines very well. He has a few videos on youtube explaining engine workings etc in an easy to understand way.

Reactions: Foo
4621 - 4640 of 4687 Posts