Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me which way round the thermostat should be seated? I'm at the check everything stage of chasing overheating and thinking this might have been put in incorrectly.

If we labell the thermostat as "spring side" and "cone side". And the housing as "engine side" and "radiator side", which way should it sit in the housing?

Its currently spring side on the engine side, but this way the spring has to retract against the flow of coolant? Which doesn't seem quite right to me...

Cheers

·
Registered
Nissan
528 Posts
According to the nissan service manual, the orientation is correct as you have it.
ie: Spring side to the engine, cone side toward the radiator.

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,276 Posts
Its currently spring side on the engine side, but this way the spring has to retract against the flow of coolant? Which doesn't seem quite right to me...

Cheers
It's not the flow of water pushing the cone side open, it's the spring contracting from exposure to the hot water (opening the cone side).

Drop the thermostat in a pot of hot water to make sure it opens.

Cya

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
It's not the flow of water pushing the cone side open, it's the spring contracting from exposure to the hot water (opening the cone side).

Cya
Inncorrect, its the pin in the center of the "cone side " that pushes the thermostat open, the spring is only there to close the thermostat

·
Registered
475 Posts

Cya
Inncorrect, its the pin in the center of the "cone side " that pushes the thermostat open, the spring is only there to close the thermostat
That sealed brass cylinder in the centre of the 'stat contains a wax pellet, which begins to melt at a set temperature (determined by the composition of the wax)...

As the wax melts, it expands, and forces the valve open..

The double valve thermostat (as pictured) has a single capsule, and a second valve disc to allow some re-circulation of coolant 'till it reaches operating temp... When the 'stat is fully open, the re-circulation passage is blocked by the bottom disc..

So yeah, the "spring side" needs to be on the "hot" (i.e. engine) side............ otherwise she no workee too good ;-)

:cheers:

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what i thought, i was kinda hoping but i didn't think i could've f**ed it up that badly.

Thanks for your help, i'll keep searching.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts