Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, What type of thermostat I can use on my GQ TD4.2? Currently I have 82C, but it needs to be raplaced. Winter is coming and I am thinking about putting new thermostat and clean radiator.
FAST shows only thermostat for 82C only. But I heared there are also for 88C and 91C. But can't find the part numbers. Can you please help with it?
Thank you,
Dmitrijs

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
there should be a 78 deg one there also, but if yours was running fine with an 82 deg thermostat then stick with the same one , sorry i cant help with part numbers but an auto store should have a catalogue where you can match the size and specs of the factory one

·
Registered
nissan patrol
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My stock 82C seems not enough :( Car is not warming up normally even when driving 30 min in city traffic.
What is the original size and specs for stock thermostat? I can't find them.
I saw topics on this forum (before server was down), there was one guy who put thermostat for 91C. I am looking for thermostat 88C or 91C.

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
factory is either 78 or 82 , i would check yours first as it may not be closing properly , but if it is then maybe a hotter thermostat will help , i guess being so far north it gets rather cold which also makes the td42 a slug to warm up ,

did a bit of digging and the factory thermostat is a TT228-170, 78 deg, and even found the specs

TT228-180 is 82 deg
TT228-195 is 91 deg

hope that helps

·
Registered
nissan patrol
143 Posts
I changed the thermostat in my Y60/TD42 earlier this year. I used the original Nissan 76.5 C (for the Tropics) part # 21200-76203.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am trying to get them :) But can't find the part numbers. Do you know some?

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
factory is either 78 or 82 , i would check yours first as it may not be closing properly , but if it is then maybe a hotter thermostat will help , i guess being so far north it gets rather cold which also makes the td42 a slug to warm up ,

did a bit of digging and the factory thermostat is a TT228-170, 78 deg, and even found the specs

TT228-180 is 82 deg
TT228-195 is 91 deg

hope that helps
Are these the numbers?

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
TT228-170, 78 deg
TT228-180 is 82 deg
TT228-195 is 91 deg

yep , just not the factory part numbers but aftermarket i spose

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
I used to live in the tropics and ran a 91 degree with standard radiator, turbo and gas, towing, never had a problem.
other car has a 72 degree, gets really hot when you stop (and idle) after a hard run.
it all depends how your car is tuned, then the climate.

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,751 Posts
I've run both the standard 82 and the 88. No real difference for me except the 88 sits higher on the guage. This includes +40 to -40 C.

Dmitrijs_Riga, every Safari I have purchased needed a new thermostat. Old, shagged thermostats open too early keeping the engine too cold.....

·
Right Turn Clyde
nissan patrol
1,051 Posts
I recently put a hotter 88deg in mine. The idea being to keep the coolant in the radiator longer to help maintain a stable temperature when under load. Gauge sits just under half way at idle and about 2/3 on a long hill. Doesn't get as hot as quick and tends to cool down quicker than the 82deg that was in there.

cheers.

·
Registered
nissan
675 Posts
It's A Ford,
Didn't you also used to say, 'running a hotter one was better'? IE for hot weather, and does this still apply with a turbo?

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
It's A Ford,
Didn't you also used to say, 'running a hotter one was better'? IE for hot weather, and dose this still apply with a turbo?
its easier to maintain a constant temp with a hotter thermostat , and it still applies with a turbo , im still running a 91 deg thermostat and i havnt had any troubles at all

·
Registered
nissan
4,827 Posts
Anyone know the actual running temp with different thermostat? not off Nissan gauge but actual
Deg C
if not may have to run a few tests with different t/stats

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
the running temp is normally 2 to 3 deg warmer than the opening temp of the themostat , thats on a hwy run , around town sits pretty close to the opening temp

this is on mine anyway

to add to this when i had an 82 deg thermostat , around town it would sit between 82 - 88 deg depending on load , on the hwy would see 85 - 110 sometimes higher when pushing it up a big hill

with the 91 deg thermostat it sits between 91 -94 around town and on the hwy it will sit between 93 - and the hottest ive had it / could get it towing the camper trailer is 104 deg , this is with thermofans fitted , with the factory fan fitted the temp woulnt go above 95 deg

·
Registered
GU Patrol Wagon Series 1
774 Posts
does anyone know what the gu 2.8 runs from factory? on my aftermarket gauge it sits around 75-80 around town and about 85-90 on freeway seems a little cold to me, what does everyone else think? i have the probe for the gauge sittin in the top radiator hose about half way along towards the theromstat, is this where you guys have yours?

cheers

phil

·
The nutty professor
8,299 Posts
yep , i take my temp from the same place , it looks like you have a 78 deg thermostat or a faulty 82 deg thermostat that isnt quite closing properly , those temps though seem fine to me

1 - 20 of 41 Posts