Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day guys
I've done my fair share of reading to get up to spec. I'm in the market for a 4.8. Its going to be my daily and I do about 80k's a day, so something on Gas is ideal. I'm going to look at a Patrol tonight, has high k's (280Ks) and is on Gas.

I've read about people having to re-shim the valves due to the higher temperatures. Is there a tell tale sign that this has been done, or needs doing. Also, does anyone here know anything about the Valvle savers that you can run on the 4.8s. I spoke to a guy out in the bush about it once and told me after 200k's his valve clearances were spot on still.

I'm pretty mechanically minded, rebuilt a few bikes, but if there's any other stuff that you could tell me to look out for, that would be appreciated, my list of things to look for has been comprehensively built from other threads on this forum.

The K'ms are high, but the kicker is that its a mutal friends car and he is willing to part with it very cheap. I know the 4.8's are pretty bullet proof anyway.

Thanks guys any help appreciated.

·
Registered
nissan
720 Posts
Usually if the valves need adjustment you may find it idles slightly rough. The fact is that valve saver fluid will at best only slow the rate at which soft factory valve seats are hammered by higher combustion temperatures and lack of lubrication. If it hasn't had a head rebuild before, I would begin putting aside ~$2K to have one done within a few years with high nickel valve seats.

·
Registered
nissan
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Scott. I really appreciate it.
The head was rebuilt on it about 15 thousand kms ago, which is the main thing I know that will go on a car that age. Is it generally common practice to reshim when the head is done?

·
Registered
nissan
720 Posts
That's great! Yes, when the head was rebuilt the valves should have been freshly shimmed for appropriate clearances.

·
Registered
nissan
777 Posts
See if you can notice any leaks too, the first one I test drove stunk of lpg as soon as it started, and noticed it throughout the entire test drive.

It was one of the things I was looking for when I test drove the one I just bought, not once did I smell any lpg. It might be normal to emit some, but if it was excessive, I would stay away

·
Registered
nissan
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ah yes, the smelly gas. My dad's old XF used to smell like a gas chamber. I remember that feeling.

As far as oil leaks are concerned, I know the front main seal is quite common, any other common areas? I'll be checking every thing under the car with a bright torch.

·
Registered
nissan
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, So just for future reference, I'm sharing my typical pre-purchase inspection checklist when I go to buy a car.
I take really bright torch, A multimeter, and some rags (for checking oils etc.).

Feel free to add/remove or comment on this.

• Leaky CV's
  • Engine Mounts Cracked
  • Oil Leaks, Check this BEFORE you drive it, then AFTER you have a decent drive. Many owners will wash their engine before you get there.
  • Gas Smells
  • Valve Saver
  • Gearbox/Tranny leaks
  • Fluid levels (is it running coolant or Water - Water could mean rusted radiator/heater core)
  • Take of radiator cap and check for creamyness (signs of head gasket), same in oil cap.
  • Take for a decent drive to make sure the car can maintain temperature.
  • Make sure when the car is idle, and engine is on that the thermo fan comes on to keep the car cool.

• Aircon/Heater works
  • Seats Recline and spring back, and they slide foreward
  • Transfer case engagement is smooth
  • Low Range works, Drive the car in 4wd for a small distance
  • Hubs lock and unlock
  • Electric Mirrors work
  • Rear demister, front demister
  • Headlights, High beams work
  • Indicator, hazard lights
  • Check for books
  • Check for gear box clink when putting into drive/reverse
  • Take Multimeter and check the Voltage on the battery with lights/wipers/indicators on to check for healthy alternator
  • Check for accident damage (knock on panels, make sure they are metal and not bogged up(metal with echo/bounce noise, bog will be dense)
  • Lift boot carpets, check for repairs in front end from underneath
  • Check how well the brakes work (do a heavy brake test)
  • Check acceleration of the car in gas and petrol (Take off hard from the lights)
  • Give it some stick off the line to make sure it doesn't stall
  • Check all power windows
  • Central locking working
  • Check all 4 tires and spare
  • Get someone to rev the engine and check for smoke out the back
  • check transmission fluid smells (Not sure what this does, but my mechanic mate told me it makes you look like a pro, and you can typically tell when the oil is burnt. I've never been able to tell but I still do it...go figure).
  • Seat belts all work/lock unlock and are not frayed
  • check for rust, particularity around windows
  • Suspension bushes

·
Registered
nissan
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Picked up a Patrol today!!

4.8, Gas Injection, New reco'd head just done. Other than that totally stock and in amazing condition. Very well looked after.

Thanks for all the help boys.

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Good stuff, congrats and thanks for the topic and that checklist - I am in the market myself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts