Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Car is a 93 GQ RB30 Carby Manual Wagon

So, it may be me being a little paranoid, but trying to make the car, particularly the mechanical side of things as water tight as possible. I don't tend to look for deep water, but should I come across a river crossing or similar on a track, I want to be able to cross with reasonable confidence (after walking it of course).

So far I've done:

- Snorkel, all joints/hoses checked, siliconed
- Airbox, all entries/rubbers new, lid siliconed
- Carby has new rubber seal on top
- New dizzy cap (didn't have any breather), new seal for dizzy cap
- Silicone spray around plug leads, dizzy cap, coil
- Silicone clutch fork boot, wading plug and bell housing area

So - what have I forgotten, what should I check?

Someone mentioned the timing belt cover? How do I check this without pulling the rad etc out?

Also, how high are the factory diff breathers - and do the gearbox/trans/diff breathers all go to the same place/height?

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
RB30s have a timing belt. 100,000k replacement.

·
Registered
nissan
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RB30s have a timing belt. 100,000k replacement.
Well, there's a sticker under the bonnet that says it was done 15,000kms ago - before I bought the car though. Short of pulling it all apart, anyway to tell if it's sealed up? There's no oil leaking in the area.

·
Registered
nissan
1,818 Posts
A tarp or something to put across the front if you think your going to go through deep water it will help protect water getting into the alternator, hitting the fan blades and help to keep water off dizzy, leads etc.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Well, there's a sticker under the bonnet that says it was done 15,000kms ago - before I bought the car though. Short of pulling it all apart, anyway to tell if it's sealed up? There's no oil leaking in the area.
You shouldn't have an oil leak from that area. No oil behind there that I know of.

I have done numerous water crossings and if its deep I tarp the front and have never had a problem. I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

·
Registered
Nissan patrol gq
110 Posts
Of course there can be leaks from Behind the timing cover you have a thing called the crankshaft and cam shaft that have oil seals

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Of course there can be leaks from Behind the timing cover you have a thing called the crankshaft and cam shaft that have oil seals
Oil seals. The OP is asking about water ingress and how to manage it. ;-)

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,804 Posts
My rear diff breather and fuel tank breather run up thru the floor and track up inside the D pillar.

·
Registered
Nissan Safari
1,804 Posts
never had an odour with both petrol or diesel. Body has an air vent on the rear D pillar.

·
Registered
nissan
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Guess I need to seal up the dizzy a bit better. After a couple of crossing had a miss when throttle was loaded up and 1800-2600rpm. Would go away at lower/higher rpm. Went away after an hour anyway but will have to seal it up better, try and avoid it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts