Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
Been a while but I'm now about to set setting up the GQ for our travels in a year or so
So looking at setting a third battery in the back of the Nissan, I already have a agm in the front that is powered by a 250 watt solar panel and runs the Engels 40lt fridge in the back, my plan is to run either AGM or lithium third battery in the back, so if I go the lithium rout I will have 2 systems running, agm running 1 or maybe 2 fridges and the lithium ( powered by a Ctek dcdc charger) to run camp lights, charging batteries ( phones ect ) and compressor or if I go with agm I will wire both batteries in parrel and run everything off them ??
Hope you can understand my explanation
Any advise greatly appreciated

Cheers watho

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I can’t help you with the question of running two systems or one, but if you go the lithium route (which has lots to like, I’ve recently put one in myself) my suggestion would be to let the lithium run the fridges and other high draw stuff, and use the agm for the intermittent stuff. The reason is that you can draw the lithium all the way down to <10% state of charge without damage, but the agm will drop below 12v at around 40% SOC and running them lower than that will dramatically shorten the life of the battery.
The low weight is also a big advantage for the lithium, and the fact that you can get close to 10 times the number of charge cycles over the life of the battery makes it good value. The only downside is the high initial cost. I put in a 75 Ah lithium that cost $950, but it’s got the same usable capacity as a 150 Ah agm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
nissan
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Andrew
Loving most of the advantages with the lithium, except for the cost LOL, your idea will take a bit more wiring but I think it will be worth it Thanks

Cheers Watho

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
9,419 Posts
Thanks Andrew
Loving most of the advantages with the lithium, except for the cost LOL, your idea will take a bit more wiring but I think it will be worth it Thanks

Cheers Watho
Andrew is 100% on the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
9,419 Posts
I look on it as an investment

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It’s only an investment if you use it to its potential other wise it’s an expensive plastic box. Can buy many AgM for the same money.
Agm if looked after will last a long time but yes weigh lots and lithium looks good on paper.
Fun fact
Did you know a flat lithium still reads 13.2 volts till you put a load on it.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,314 Posts
My big AGM is hanging in there beautifully, yes damn heavy but does it's job nicely.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
13,613 Posts
We have a few here but the price always puts people off.
And the charging stuff. And the reliability. A huge investment that often doesn’t pay off.😩

·
Registered
nissan
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Evening guys
Ha yeti have been looking at adding the Ctek 250 Se to the rig so it will do the lithium battery, I noticed that Renogy is doing a bit of a deal on lithium at the moment, I have just spent the afternoon watching YT vids about lithium batteries and building then, when you look at them you can't buy and build anything for what you are paying,
on another note my biggest amp draw will be compressor at about 40 amps and a 3-400 amp enverter so nothing to major.
Can someone tell me if I go the AGM route and I have a 40 amp draw from say a compressor would I need a cable to the other AGM battery to coup with a 40 amp ratting ???
Cheers guys appreciate you help watho

·
Registered
2018 Mazda BT50 Dual cab
9,419 Posts
Evening guys
Ha yeti have been looking at adding the Ctek 250 Se to the rig so it will do the lithium battery, I noticed that Renogy is doing a bit of a deal on lithium at the moment, I have just spent the afternoon watching YT vids about lithium batteries and building then, when you look at them you can't buy and build anything for what you are paying,
on another note my biggest amp draw will be compressor at about 40 amps and a 3-400 amp enverter so nothing to major.
Can someone tell me if I go the AGM route and I have a 40 amp draw from say a compressor would I need a cable to the other AGM battery to coup with a 40 amp ratting ???
Hmmm
I only had one AGM in the patrol and it ran everything from fridge to compressor all by itself

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
46,314 Posts
Hmmm
I only had one AGM in the patrol and it ran everything from fridge to compressor all by itself

Sem sem, coming off a beach and doing tyre pressures with fridge etc running, no issues.

·
Registered
nissan
1,761 Posts
Evening guys
No expert but I would say 8 gauge as a minimum for the compressor I found that the compressor can surge with smaller wire over a decent distance.

I also have been contemplating going lithium when my 2 x 105ah agm's die which get used nearly every week they are around 5yrs old and have a permanent mounted solar panel feeding them which helps keep them topped up and probably gives them the best chance to last longer than if they had nothing I expect. I have never put them on a 240v charger either. The weight saving of lithium's would be good but you would have to use the a fair bit in my eyes to justify the extra cost. If I went lithium I would have to replace my Redarc BCDC 40amp charger which is an added cost I was looking at the itechworld 120ah just under $1,000 and my voltmeter would have to be replaced for something that reads the percentage of the batteries charge so it adds up.

But now a cure ball recently I have found I can buy 2 x Fullriver 120ah batteries for around $848 from 4wdextreme and these batteries have a good rep for lasting a long time. I have seen on other sites people claiming 10yrs and up to 12yrs and some still going. They and are much heavier than most agm's at around 36kg each which apparently is a good sign of quality and the bonus I keep the current Redarc charger and voltmeter so I'm now contemplating staying agm for now. This probably doesn't help you much but if like me if you have the vehicle that can cope with the extra weight it's something to consider.

·
Registered
nissan
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Morning guys
Thanks Batt's for you info, when we start traveling we could be free camping for a week or more so never enough power in my books
I'm starting to think I'll go with an AGM for now but still buy the Ctek 250se dcdc charger so if and when the lithium dose come down in price I can then go route if needed, I don't think the couple kg's will effect the patrol to much as there will only be the 2 of us in the car

So my thoughts are now just run a second AGM in the back and link them with 8 gauge wire to form one system and that way I can keep them top up with both the dcdc charger and 250 watt solar
Looking for ward to starting the back draw system and the electric gadgets

Cheers watho

·
Registered
nissan
227 Posts
No expert but I would say 8 gauge as a minimum for the compressor I found that the compressor can surge with smaller wire over a decent distance.

I also have been contemplating going lithium when my 2 x 105ah agm's die which get used nearly every week they are around 5yrs old and have a permanent mounted solar panel feeding them which helps keep them topped up and probably gives them the best chance to last longer than if they had nothing I expect. I have never put them on a 240v charger either. The weight saving of lithium's would be good but you would have to use the a fair bit in my eyes to justify the extra cost. If I went lithium I would have to replace my Redarc BCDC 40amp charger which is an added cost I was looking at the itechworld 120ah just under $1,000 and my voltmeter would have to be replaced for something that reads the percentage of the batteries charge so it adds up.

But now a cure ball recently I have found I can buy 2 x Fullriver 120ah batteries for around $848 from 4wdextreme and these batteries have a good rep for lasting a long time. I have seen on other sites people claiming 10yrs and up to 12yrs and some still going. They and are much heavier than most agm's at around 36kg each which apparently is a good sign of quality and the bonus I keep the current Redarc charger and voltmeter so I'm now contemplating staying agm for now. This probably doesn't help you much but if like me if you have the vehicle that can cope with the extra weight it's something to consider.
The Fullriver agm in my canopy is more than 8 years old.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The full river HR under my bonnet I think is dieing. But that could be more from poor management (not enough solar).

As for the CTEK 250 lithium charger. If you plan on going a bigger bank at some stage. Might be worth getting a better charger. Something like the redarc or enerdrive that can pump more than 40amps into the battery’s if they can take it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 44 Posts