Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Part of the furniture around here
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had to change the exhaust today so, after much deliberation, decided to go the 3” route and I can honestly say that it has made a big, big, difference. The only exhaust systems readily available down here are either 2.5” (Redback) or 3” (Sterling, Taipan etc); I went with Sterling, as it was available and came with all parts from the turbo back, was reasonably priced (including fitting) and I could get it done without having to wait ages. One exhaust place tried to steer me away from the 3” and recommended the 2.5”, but maybe that was because he was a Redback dealer. But given the direct experiences with the 3” system from a number here, that was the way I felt was best.

The first thing that I had to do of course was to test things out and the best place to do so is on the Pentland Hills just outside of Bacchus Marsh. The Pentland Hills has a very long (approx 5km), relatively straight and very steep section where you can do up to 110kmh, so it makes for an excellent place to test vehicle performance and engine tuning/mods etc. I’ve been using the Pentland Hills for the last 30 years for just that. Prior to the exhaust installation, I’ve been going up the Pentland Hills numerous times and on a good day (ie no headwind) I could get maybe a quarter of the way up and the auto would drop out of overdrive and then maybe at the one third mark, it would drop down to third and I’d have to rev the guts out to try and maintain 110kmh (barely, if that).

The first time up with the new exhaust, I was able to get to around the halfway mark before the auto dropped out of overdrive and then it stayed there until maybe at the three quarter mark when it dropped back into overdrive, but I was able to maintain 110kmh without much trouble. So once I got to the top, I pulled over on the crossover bridge and adjusted the DPChip from No5 setting to No6 and then back down to try again. This time on the way up, the auto just stayed in overdrive all the way to the top at 110kmh and wanted to accelerate, if I didn’t lift off the pedal (excellent!). Another stop, this time to adjust the chip to No7 and back down the hill to try again. This time, while I was able to maintain things OK, it required a little more throttle to keep up the speed and I could feel that it almost wanted to drop out of overdrive. So one final stop to set the chip back to No6 and on my way home.

All the way back home on the freeway, I could feel that the engine wasn’t working anywhere nearly as hard as before, yet was able to maintain freeway speeds without an issue. Back in the burbs and I could also feel that it was a lot more responsive in picking up from the lights and could accelerate much more smoothly. Another thing to mention was that boost never exceeded 15.2 on any of the runs; so once again, it appears that the CRD ECU is able to control things without drama. This is something I’d like to shove up Taipan, who insisted that you had to install a Dawes valve etc, if you installed a 3” exhaust and virtually wouldn't allow any distributor to install their system without the lot. One final thing of note; contrary to the experiences of most/all who have installed a larger exhaust, my exhaust temps have not significantly altered. I’ve made special note of the exhaust temps over a period of time and the difference with the new exhaust is only about 20C if that, not what I’d call significant.

However, I have a theory about this. Firstly, my temp probe is only about 50mm from the turbo outlet, rather than the 100mm or so that many others appear to be, so my thoughts about the aircon effect may hold true. What I mean by this is that, as the exhaust gasses are able to rapidly expand, they cool fairly rapidly as well and so if the temp probe isn’t as close as possible to the turbo, it will record a much lower temp. Also, the first 100mm or so of my dump pipe is 2.5”, before it expands to 3”; and unless I’m mistaken, a lot of the other dump pipes go to 3” right from the turbo, thus enhancing the aircon effect. Secondly, the other thing that I think may be happening (and this comes from reading a lot about improving exhaust flow) is that the actual temp difference pre and post-turbo is a lot less with the 3” exhaust than with the standard exhaust. What I mean is that there isn’t the opportunity for heat soak/build-up pre-turbo, as the exhaust gasses are able to be removed more rapidly and thus are more in equilibrium. It’s a fact that post/pre-turbo temps vary greatly depending on the load and are often the same, even with standard exhausts.

So overall, it works very well indeed and I’m now happy that it was money well spent. The only minor negative is that there is a noticeable drone from the exhaust that I’ll either ignore over time, or I’ll just have to get an end muffler to tone it down, or it could also be due to the fact that the pipe points to the ground, compared to how the original wend was cut. The other benefit that I believe one will get from the larger exhaust is less stress on components, as the engine is clearly able to work with less effort for the same outcomes. It certainly feels that way. And one final thing, when starting the Patrol, more often than not, the exhaust gives off a small fart. It did this before any chip adjustments, so I’m not quite sure what that’s all about. :confused:

Cheers

Ray

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
Good to hear your happy with your choice, I too am happy with mine and would recommend 3" exhausts to anyone.

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess the next thing is to see whether there is any improvement in fuel economy, as sometimes seems to be suggested. Either way, I'm just happy with the performance improvement, as long as the fuel economy doesn't get worse.

Cheers

Ray

·
Rogue
nissan gu patrol
20,220 Posts
I guess the next thing is to see whether there is any improvement in fuel economy, as sometimes seems to be suggested. Either way, I'm just happy with the performance improvement, as long as the fuel economy doesn't get worse.

Cheers

Ray
I don't see improvements in fuel economy driving up the Hume Hwy but do see improvements scooting around home (Yarra Valley). Might be something to test out a bit more.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Why'd the exhaust need replacing so soon on a 2008 patrol ?

Good write up!

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Off-roading does have its moments, so it was a good excuse to replace the lot, than just a part. :D

I think I also figured out the farting. While checking out the fit and finish of the installation, I grabbed parts of the exhaust to feel for movement etc and at one part I got a clunk at the tail pipe end. The clunk was the tail pipe hitting the tie down point on the chassis. I put a piece of rubber (the sort that comes with adhesive on one side) and attached it to the tie down point between it and the exhaust. When I started it up, no more fart.

One thing to note about the fit and finish is that overall it was fairly well made, but not all attachment points fitted exactly where they should, like in a factory exhaust. Unless there are subtle differences between model years, then for some things to be quite a bit out means that measurement and testing hasn't been as through as it could have been.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
nissan
62 Posts
Good to hear you're happy with it Ray.... What sort of $$ difference was there between the various systems?

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to hear you're happy with it Ray.... What sort of $$ difference was there between the various systems?
The difference between Taipan and Sterling was about $500 (installed), both fully mandrel bent, cat etc. How much difference there was in build quality etc between the Taipan and Sterling I have no idea; but after the crap I got from Taipan when trying to get a simple answer, I had no desire to buy their product.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
977 Posts
So what does it sound like Ray. Do you have any videos???

·
Registered
nissanpatrol
167 Posts
personally my wife would not be happy with 3 inches, she prefers at least my 7 !!! oh sorry you are talking exhausts. ( sorry saw the post title and could not help myself)

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
personally my wife would not be happy with 3 inches, she prefers at least my 7 !!! oh sorry you are talking exhausts. ( sorry saw the post title and could not help myself)
That was intentional, to attract viewers! :D

Cheers

Ray

·
Resident Social Democrat
6,258 Posts
Why'd the exhaust need replacing so soon on a 2008 patrol ?

Good write up!
Excellent write up Ray! Love your work!

As far as exhaust system life goes, mine stil has the original system. In my experience, exhaust get replaced after 'incidents' whilst off road; TELLING the wife it needs to be replaced; or getting it done and NOT telling the wife at all. (Mine didn't even NOTICE when I've got previous cars done!!)

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So what does it sound like Ray. Do you have any videos???
It's not unpleasant on cruise, but with some throttle, it gets a drone that isn't very nice. It's not a throaty burble, which would be quite OK, so I'm going to drop by the exhaust place later this week after a bit more driving and see if they have any ideas on how to mute it a bit. I don't know if it's because of the way the end of the pipe points down and that sets off the droning, or just because it's a bigger exhaust with less muffling in between. I'll see if it's possible to get some relevant video/audio, but it may not come out that well from inside the car.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
NISSAN
495 Posts
Ray,
I know the Pentland Hills real well just up the road from my place. Great place to test....!
So the sterling exhaust cost you $500 fitted? Did I read that right?
and after the cat is it straight through?

Still trying to figure out what system to put on. I am defiantly going 3 inch, but don't know if I go straight through No cat, No mufflers or high flow cat no muffler.... you know what I mean.

Even thought of running twin 2.5 inch from dump pipe back... But don't know if that would work any better or just improve sound or even if it's possible.

Finally, are you from this side of town or do you just go to the pentland Hills to test your gear?

Thanks

·
Registered
nissan
729 Posts
Ray,
I know the Pentland Hills real well just up the road from my place. Great place to test....!

The difference between Taipan and Sterling was about $500 (installed), both fully mandrel bent, cat etc. How much difference there was in build quality etc between the Taipan and Sterling I have no idea; but after the crap I got from Taipan when trying to get a simple answer, I had no desire to buy their product.

No... the difference in price was $500

·
LED ZEPPELIN
1995 GQ TD42 NA
12,022 Posts
Off-roading does have its moments, so it was a good excuse to replace the lot, than just a part. :D
You too huh? A week ago I managed to dig my left rear into a bank and wreck the rearmost muffler; a 4" anglegrinder sorted it, but I'm going to have to fix it properly... an entire exhaust system sounds like the hot ticket.

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ray,
and after the cat is it straight through?
No, the full cost was $1200 fitted at Radiant Exhausts, but I got quoted $1400 fitted at another place, Taipan was quoted at around $1750. The Redback was about $980 fitted.

Cheers

Ray

·
Registered
387 Posts
Ray, you refered to 2.5" into 3"'dump pipe - is that what's included with the Stirling exhaust and were you concerned that this would be the main restriction in your new system when a lot of exhaust mobs seem to do 3" dump pipes?

·
nissan
19,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ray, you refered to 2.5" into 3"'dump pipe - is that what's included with the Stirling exhaust and were you concerned that this would be the main restriction in your new system when a lot of exhaust mobs seem to do 3" dump pipes?
It's only a relatively short section that's 2.5", to allow a better fit into the turbo outlet and for clearance from the firewall, and then it goes into 3". I doubt that this causes any restriction to the exhaust flow. I should be also able to re-install the original heat shield quite easily, whereas others have had difficulty with the Taipan system.

Cheers

Ray

1 - 20 of 64 Posts