Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, did a quick search and couldn't really find anything and seeing as I'm half way through I thought if write a post here,

I was wondering what I should use to clean my throttle body with? I pulled it off expecting it to be chocas but surprisingly it's not to bad at all! It was just the hole in the y piece that has no butterfly that had a bit if sh** in it but not too much!

So what do I clean it with? Also I was going to ask if it is worth disconnecting the swirl control valve while I'm here. I have egr block so people have said to do it, but I have an auto so I thought it might change something?

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
nissan
978 Posts
Leave it connected, in case it throws fault codes. Removing the flat plate inside does the job.

Cleaning? Anything that works*. Kerr, petrol, diesel, carby cleaner, brakleen, degreaser. A rag and scraper.

If you've used a bit of nasties to clean, wash it off with kero/diesel or even degreaser/water. Make sure it's dry afterwards. You can get a funky idle going if there is still hydrocarbons in the air going into the motor.

*clearly I'm not an epa employee.

·
Registered
nissan
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Should I see it as a good thing that there was not much build up at all? Maybe 2-4mm?

Also is it worth doing the butterfly mod? When you say remove the flat plate do you mean just take the actual butterfly shutter out of the throttle body?

Cheers for the quick reply

·
Registered
nissan
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll keep that in mind for next time lol

It didn't even need any type of cleaner that's how little the build
Up was

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,864 Posts
Hey guys, did a quick search and couldn't really find anything and seeing as I'm half way through I thought if write a post here,

I was wondering what I should use to clean my throttle body with? I pulled it off expecting it to be chocas but surprisingly it's not to bad at all! It was just the hole in the y piece that has no butterfly that had a bit if sh** in it but not too much!

So what do I clean it with? Also I was going to ask if it is worth disconnecting the swirl control valve while I'm here. I have egr block so people have said to do it, but I have an auto so I thought it might change something?

Thanks guys!
What vehicle do you have? put a note in your sig or something to let everyone know makes it easier for them to give advise. You can disconnect the swirl valve very easily and simply and it does give a slight aid. If you look in my Signature at my build thread this is one of the things I have written up in there, with detail about what it does and when. BTW make sure it's the swirl valve and not the main butterfly you disconnect, the swirl valve will five no fault codes. BTW I disconnected first then a month or so later took the butterfly out, disconnecting I did notice a slight change in low down pull away ability but removing the butterfly added nothing to that.

I just cleaned the throttle body it with degreaser when I took it off, easy peasy.

·
Registered
nissan
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I'll get onto adding that to my sig straight away! To disconnect it do I just plug the vacuum line that runs to it?

Also regarding to adding my vehicle to the sig, this may be a silly question but how do I know what series I have? It's a 2001 gu st

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
48,864 Posts
Read the write up it explains it all.

Yours should be a GUII depending on when in 2001 it was built, just put 2001 ZD30DI so we know it's not a 4.2 diesel or a petrol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts