Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Googlest, Apparently!
nissan patrol
15,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at my next patrol and pretty much will go with a Ti.

However, my experience over the years in sun roofs is not great.

I have had expensive cars and cheap cars and the majority develop rust issues around the sun roof.

Does anyone know the history of Patrol sun roofs?

Are they prone to rust? If yes, where is the likely location for it to start?

Checked search, but got zip.

Cheers.

·
Registered
nissan
4,988 Posts
This probably doesn't help you but mine is still like new. I never use the sunroof and the car is always parked under cover so it doesn't see the weather much.

·
Registered
nissan
156 Posts
My 1998 was fine and my 07 is fine - I think they're pretty reliable.

One thing to note is the inner lining that matches the roof lining will tend to slide back a bit on corrugations.

·
Registered
Nissan
6,063 Posts
Mates 2000 Ti has a sunroof but the mechanism is broken so it won't slide back it only tilts.

I have had the time or inclination to figure out how to pull it apart.

That being said it does not leak and no rust. (My 2000 Ti Pathfinder sunroof still perfect and gets used a lot I'd bet they are similar)

Cheers

Justin

·
I trust your dash vents are clean...
nissan
732 Posts
My old man has a GU2 Ti and his sunroof works perfectly, no rust or leaks.

·
Registered
nissan
372 Posts
I read this last week and agreed id never had any problems with the sunroof, i loved it till i put the roof rack on..
Then on Monday i returned to the car after a rainy day at work and my center console was flooded and there was water running from the sunroof switch panel.
Turns out my muddy adventures on Saturday had left a bit of mud up there and i guess i hosed it into the channel. Once the mud went hard in the drain holes it decided to overflow into the car..
It was very hard to unblock too. flushed the hell outta it with a pump water bottle but no success. Tried 2 coat hangers joined together but too stiff to get around the bends. Ended up using the onboard air and a couple of hits of 120psi finally worked..

So i recommend to people with sunroofs to give there sunroof drains a quick flush while there still unblocked. A pump water bottle worked great for this.. water will drain out onto the floor a few inches behind the front wheel arch..

Reactions: Nayff

·
Rust is just natural weight reduction.
1986 SD33T SWB
10,990 Posts
However, my experience over the years in sun roofs is not great.
Landy/Rangie?

My parents once had a Rangie with a sunroof. Which sealed exactly as well as you'd expect something on a British car to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts