Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I have a loud ticking sound coming from the engine bayfor the last few months. Thought maybe it was the lifters went getting enough oil or engine was low on oil so did a oil change and the went away for a day or so then has come back what else could it be? It is louder the higher the revs.

Cheers, Jason

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey mate,
Maybe check around exhaust manifold maybe gasket or broken studs??. Have you taken the rocker cover off and had a look at the rockers?? Can you isolate where in the engine bay the noise is coming from?

·
Registered
nissan
377 Posts
It probably is the lifters and they need adjusting, When was the last time the valve clearances were done? If you don't know do them or get them done.

·
Registered
nissan
38 Posts
Could be an exhaust leak. Check the manifold for any cracks, you will see a dark patch where the exhaust gases have leaked onto the metal. Failing that replace the exhaust gasket. If it's old you may break exhaust studs, they are readily available at most auto stores.

kev

·
Registered
nissan
377 Posts
How would fresh oil effect the sound of a exhaust leak guys?? Stick your head under the bonnet and rev it up it should be very obvious if it is coming from in the motor or the exhaust is leaking

·
Registered
nissan
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. Will have a better look and try narrow it down to where the noise is exactly coming from.

·
Registered
nissan
707 Posts
How would fresh oil effect the sound of a exhaust leak guys?? Stick your head under the bonnet and rev it up it should be very obvious if it is coming from in the motor or the exhaust is leaking
Strangely enough i thought it was lifters as it went away after I changed the oil. But after 5 minutes it came back again so investigated it further and found two chewed out bolt threads.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
72 Posts
Had the same sound. Problem was in valve clearance. I don't know when it was done before. Fixed it, and now it's ok, no sound. Also sometimes it can be due to injectors nozzles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts