Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
nissan
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Where abouts would I get a chromoly tie rod complete with both tre's for my y60 ?, (tie rod is infront of the diff).

Cheers

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Mechanics, retailers and OEM. We all call them different things. It is always best to clarify what you are after but most of us go by what Bert and Zordo said.

·
Registered
nissan
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perhaps if I eleborate ......... My truck is a y60, leaf sprung single cab ute.
The tie rod is infront of the diff.

·
Registered
nissan
1,730 Posts
Do you not have anything behind the front diff?
If it runs from the Pitman arm to the passenger swivel hub it will be the drag link. If you have an original drag link it won't have replaceable tie rod ends (have to replace the entire drag link). The tie rod bar (behind the diff) will have replaceable (screw out) tie rod ends.

·
Registered
nissan
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Yom.

Here are two pics to help:

So, back to the original question. Where would I be able to purchase an aftermarket chromo tie rod with both TRE's for my Y60 ?.

·
Registered
nissan
11,122 Posts
Try superior engineering. Snake racing, bbm motorsports wizard engineering. Suspension stuff, zordo road runner offroad um I'm sure there is heaps more.

·
Registered
nissan
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks BeNos,

Being new to the world of patrols Im not familiar with the majority of aftermarket parts suppliers.
But Ive found just what Im looking for on superior engineering's web site thanks to your post.

It just goes to show that reading the OP ;) gives results !.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Thats not the solid cromo one.
Spend the extra and get the solid one.
I've learnt that lesson the hard way, bought the hollow mecavel and bent it first time off road, it wasn't even a hard hit, just gently slid into a rut.
For the extra $75 get the solid bar.

·
Registered
nissan
11,122 Posts
no dramas least you have found what you are looking for.
may also pay to replace the other unit as well they are weak as piss. and are adjustable so if you have a lift you can recentre your steering wheel.

·
Registered
nissan
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thats not the solid cromo one.
Spend the extra and get the solid one.
I've learnt that lesson the hard way, bought the hollow mecavel and bent it first time off road, it wasn't even a hard hit, just gently slid into a rut.
For the extra $75 get the solid bar.
Yup, i made sure i ordered the solid 4140 High Tensile steel tie rod with ends.
All $400 worth, but should do the trick. Mind you, they aren't indestructible, Ive bent a molly tie rod on a different make of 4x4 in the past ;).

no dramas least you have found what you are looking for.
may also pay to replace the other unit as well they are weak as piss. and are adjustable so if you have a lift you can recentre your steering wheel.
Thanks for the tip, had a look on their web site but seems like they have a pic of a tie rod for the 4140 drag link that suits my application. I will send them an e-mail to clarify before purchasing that one.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,540 Posts
From what I read once before hollow is meant to me stronger than solid, Not sure why though. Maybe because solid bends but hollow has to collapse on itself.

·
Registered
407 Posts
lol... had bit of a chuckle reading this thread. Though I do feel that if you specified it was a leaf sprung ute in the op, then the outcome would have been different. Some people assume too much, and end up making asses of themselves :p

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
lol. Tie and and drag link are both in front of the diff on leaf sprung. There is also a relay rod.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts