Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I've just spent about an hour looking around the net and this forum and can't find a straight answer.

I want to buy a 2 speed Tigerz 12000lbs winch and I have a GU with an ARB Winch bar. Has anyone fitted one of these, does it go in as easy as the single speed 12000lbs version? Looking at the measurements it's going to be a tight fit!

Otherwise I'll just have to settle for the single speed version. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
nissan
12 Posts
I cant help specifically about the ARB winch bar but I bought a 2 speed 2 weeks ago for my GU4 with a genuine nissan winch bar and it does not fit!

·
Registered
nissan patrol GU
307 Posts
I cant help specifically about the ARB winch bar but I bought a 2 speed 2 weeks ago for my GU4 with a genuine nissan winch bar and it does not fit!
Im not 100% with the GU4 but the GUI & II genuine front bars were ARB anyway. So same thing.. which doesnt go well with the therory of fitting this winch..

kinda sucks.. I was looking at getting one of these too!

funny thing i saw yesterday, This Landcruiser (80 series or something (looked squarish)) with a P plate, standard bar on it. However it had a ATV style winch attached with 4 12m bolts on top of the bar, lol..

Then I saw the number plate, Tasmania!! :D

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah well, I got the ****s with it all yesterday and just ordered the standard single speed 12000, from all reports this just bolts straight in and lets face it free spooling the rope out rather than winching it out will make little difference at the end of the day. Winching recoveries that I've been involved in have never been what I'd call 'fast' anyway so what's a couple of minutes to pull the cable back in at the end. ;) I guess at the end of the day as long as it gets you out from that unexpected oopsy daisy then who cares right? :cool:

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Im not 100% with the GU4 but the GUI & II genuine front bars were ARB anyway. So same thing.. which doesnt go well with the therory of fitting this winch..

kinda sucks.. I was looking at getting one of these too!

funny thing i saw yesterday, This Landcruiser (80 series or something (looked squarish)) with a P plate, standard bar on it. However it had a ATV style winch attached with 4 12m bolts on top of the bar, lol..

Then I saw the number plate, Tasmania!! :D
no offence mate, but stupidity doesn't just dwell in Tasmania, it's every where, like 12m bolts ;)

·
Registered
nissan
62 Posts
Yeah mate, from what i could work out, the 2 speed will not fit. The single speed will be fine for the type of stuff you drive.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GU
307 Posts
no offence mate, but stupidity doesn't just dwell in Tasmania, it's every where, like 12m bolts ;)
arr yes but my point was its even more apparent in tassie (no offence) and I meant m12 not 12m. as in the metric size of the bolt not as in the length. spelling mistake.. ;)

·
Registered
nissan
22 Posts
fluff not being a smartarse but the size of a bolt is measured by the diameter of the thread not the a/f (across flats) size of the head of the bolt so m12 will be a 19mm a/f in a stainless steel bolt.

·
Registered
nissan patrol GU
307 Posts
fluff not being a smartarse but the size of a bolt is measured by the diameter of the thread not the a/f (across flats) size of the head of the bolt so m12 will be a 19mm a/f in a stainless steel bolt.

arr thats right.. so it would of been M8 bolts not M12, which equates to about a 12 or 13mm spanner :p

·
Premium Member
nissan
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the winch arrived yesterday!

Bolted it up straight away (of course!). Everything lined up and was good, but the ARB winch bar was a MONGREL to work with. The top two bolts were virtually inaccessible with any kind of tool from the front of the bar, I would dare say that the Warn (what the bar was designed for) must have had bolts and nuts whereas the Tigerz II 12,000lbs has the nuts recessed in the winch so you have to tighten them from the outside of the bar rather than from behind the bar.

I also had to rotate the gearbox 90 degrees (but I had expected that and was pretty darn simple to do). Other than that, and some longer bolts (the ones supplied didn't reach through the reinforcing of the ARB bar (because it's got so much bracing around where the winch mounts) it was dead simple.

The Tigerz came with everything ready to connect straight up including all the leads, covers/boots, isolator. All I had to do was match up the colours of the leads/boots to the colours on the connecting bolts on the winch and then hook the earth and positive leads from the battery to the control box/winch.

They also are throwing in wireless remotes and a tree trunk protector ATM too so that was kinda cool.

So here are the pics!

I went the rope version, it just seems a better system for me, lighter, no rusting, more rope on the drum etc. The whole unit with rope is only 23kg! Mind you 23kg feels pretty darn heavy when your laying under the car trying to wrestle the winch up through the small whole where the bash plate was and then trying to hold it while getting the bolts in! Ended up having to admit defeat and get my wife to help me out! :party: Arms and shoulders were a bit sore last night though! haha. Actually it was a bit of a family affair! I had to get my 13 year old son out to do the bolts back up on the bash plate because obviously people who work for ARB are only 13 years old too! There was no way I could get my hand in and fiddle around to tighten the bolts back up while the winch was in there! It was hard enough getting them out in the first place, but at least then I could reach down through the holes in the top of the bar. All in all, I don't really want to take the mongrel thing out in a hurry so I hope all the good things I've heard about these winches stand true! :-|

·
Registered
nissan patrol 2003 gu
281 Posts
Hey Jeff, After messaging you the other day about the insect screens I've just read that you bought the TigerZ winch as well. So ok, I'm think that these two Patrols are now Identical! cause I bought on eBay yesterday. I can now imagine that it will be a bugger to install! But how's it going? hey btw you can see a few photos of my Patrol through my garage if u want. Thanks mate.

·
Registered
nissan patrol 2003 gu
281 Posts
& btw where's that bash plate from?

·
Registered
9,761 Posts
Jeff yes 23 kg is bloody heavy above your head while trying to line up the first bolt. I ended up with a bit of rope up to the top rail of the bar to hoist it up and help support the weight.

I also did not like the bolt position on the ARB delux winch bar. Also found it hard to get a Hawse type fairlead that lined up with the slot.

I see that you have one to fit.

I also put a plate behind the hawse to fill the gaps and have two small stainless eye ring bolts to hang the hook or shackel when driving.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts