Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have no idea what has happened. I installed the tillix kit a couple of years ago, set at 14psi boost and it's been great until a month ago. Started with the boost creeping over 15 psi with the ensuing limp mode activation. And it crept up to 20 psi over a few days with the limp mode activation increasing proportionally. Of course I tried to restore the happy days but no, its like the whole system has been overridden by who knows what! I've cleaned the maf sensor, looked for splits and holes in tubes. Could it be the maf has failed? Any help would be appreciated.... before baldness begins.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,044 Posts
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I have no idea what has happened. I installed the tillix kit a couple of years ago, set at 14psi boost and it's been great until a month ago. Started with the boost creeping over 15 psi with the ensuing limp mode activation. And it crept up to 20 psi over a few days with the limp mode activation increasing proportionally. Of course I tried to restore the happy days but no, its like the whole system has been overridden by who knows what! I've cleaned the maf sensor, looked for splits and holes in tubes. Could it be the maf has failed? Any help would be appreciated.... before baldness begins.
If the boost is creeping past the tillix set point then the issue is in the tillix, it should break vacuum at your setpoint, pull it apart and check it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If the boost is creeping past the tillix set point then the issue is in the tillix, it should break vacuum at your setpoint, pull it apart and check it.
Thanks geeyoutoo. The first thing I had done was take the valve apart and clean it. But following your advise I took it apart again and the one thing that stood out on inspection was that the thread was very loose especially when wound out, which is where I had it. Tried blowing and sucking on it and found that was the problem. I have no idea why it started to play up now after so long.
It is probably not the best idea, but I wound teflon tape on the thread and things are back to normal. I'm thinking about trimming a couple of mm off the spring so I wind the unit in tighter to achieve the same boost and decrease the tolerance on the tapered thread and (hopefully) ditch the teflon. Thanks for the reply and greatly appreciate your input on the forum.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
53,044 Posts
Thanks geeyoutoo. The first thing I had done was take the valve apart and clean it. But following your advise I took it apart again and the one thing that stood out on inspection was that the thread was very loose especially when wound out, which is where I had it. Tried blowing and sucking on it and found that was the problem. I have no idea why it started to play up now after so long.
It is probably not the best idea, but I wound teflon tape on the thread and things are back to normal. I'm thinking about trimming a couple of mm off the spring so I wind the unit in tighter to achieve the same boost and decrease the tolerance on the tapered thread and (hopefully) ditch the teflon. Thanks for the reply and greatly appreciate your input on the forum.
Teflon tape isn't an issue, once you have it adjusted to the boost you want it is 'set and forget'. Thanks for reply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts