Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
Da haben Sie recht 馃槬
Dann w盲re die ganze Arbeit f眉r die Katz .
Also nur wenig 眉ber die Welle streichen
Translation. You're right 馃槬 Then all the work would be for the cat. So only a little stroke over the wave

Registered
Datsun Patrol MQ 1982 RB25DE NEO
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks for the concern. Well the RB30 that this box came from had a serious main seal leak as was evident with oil on everything. This did not effect the clutch friction surfaces or the material.
The splines however was completely dry and you could see a lot of wear in the grooves. Not the 1st time I've done this and not worried about it. Again, thanks for the concern.

Sent from my BISON GT using Tapatalk

Registered
nissan
All I use is a small paint brush to paint the splines of the shaft and the clutch plate. I then slide the clutch plate up and down the shaft a couple of times and wipe off any excess. Make sure to use a thick wheel bearing grease.This is all I have done during 50 years in the game.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I had to source some 200x200x10 steel plates and drilled 10 holes...
Azure Rectangle Circuit component Font Gas

Bolted the plates to the MQ gearbox mount holes and then the GQ cross member to the new plates. Since the gearbox mount of way forward from the center break over point, I now have at least 2 inches more ground clearance.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

another angle of the result...
Wheel Tire Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting

And the side view. May add a small bash plate under the transfer just in case
Road surface Asphalt Rectangle Wood Shade

Next the gear levers go just behind (left) of the big hole. A little cutting and it's all done.
Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Gas

Reactions: Ethanissan

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Finishing up before the test drive took a while when a few issues showed up.
Getting the gear lever and the 4wd lever back took some wrangling with springs and circlips etc.
The clutch pedal needed adjustment as the pin was about 25mm too long. Cut more thread and chopped off the extra bit. Perfect clutch travel and feel.
The clutch slave rubber hose started leaking. Ordered a new one.
GQ handbrake cable bolts up exactly the same as old MQ too easy.
Put the starter motor back in, only to discover the bolt hole threads needs some cleaning. Not much space down there... made a thread cleaner which fixed the problem.
Put the right front seat back...
Turn the key and I can hear a relay clicking but the starter does not turn over... o yes, this used to be an auto with a disable built in if not in Park or Neutral... Find the wires and luckily I could just plug the end of one into the other.
RB fired up straight away as usual but since I had to bend the exhaust out of the way for the left side bracket, it was now leaking at the front. Clutch works perfectly. Gear changes smooth...
Well the ratio problem seems fix finally. Instead of 85km/h in 1st, I now get 35km in 1st. Way way better!

Another story. When I went to pick up the gearbox, we forgot to secure the drum on the handbrake with a bolt. So somewhere on the way home the drum came loose and fell off never to be seen again...
When I got home I realised what happened and I remembered about the spare MQ transfer drum in the shelf. Well it is the same size and the bolt holes fit.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting

But while you drive, there are bad noises from stuff touching on the inside... So I need to find the original part....

I also need to find a mid size GQ front output flange as I decided to use the MQ tail shaft to drive the front wheels.
The MQ flange from my spare transfer case may not fit on the GQ splines. Then I need to lengthen the MQ tail shaft a few centimeters. I decided to use the MQ tail shaft as it has a double cardin joint and is thinner which gives me the needed clearance over the front cross member.

All in all I am happy. Just a few small problems to sort out. Also need new carpets as the old ones are shot and the gear lever holes don't line up anymore.

Reactions: Ethanissan

Registered
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well there is also another issue that I have been ignoring till now. The speedo cable from the MQ now has nowhere to go as the GQ gearbox has a pickup sensor at the back of the transfer case. Planning to replace the driving gears in the speedo with a stepper motor and a micro controller to pick the sensor signal and calculate the speed based on the sensor signal. While I do that, I will also convert the tacho as well. Always wanted speedo and tacho needles that sweep left to righ a couple of time at startup.

Reactions: geeyoutoo
21 - 28 of 28 Posts