Thanks for the concern. Well the RB30 that this box came from had a serious main seal leak as was evident with oil on everything. This did not effect the clutch friction surfaces or the material.
The splines however was completely dry and you could see a lot of wear in the grooves. Not the 1st time I've done this and not worried about it. Again, thanks for the concern.
All I use is a small paint brush to paint the splines of the shaft and the clutch plate. I then slide the clutch plate up and down the shaft a couple of times and wipe off any excess. Make sure to use a thick wheel bearing grease.This is all I have done during 50 years in the game.
I had to source some 200x200x10 steel plates and drilled 10 holes...
Bolted the plates to the MQ gearbox mount holes and then the GQ cross member to the new plates. Since the gearbox mount of way forward from the center break over point, I now have at least 2 inches more ground clearance.
another angle of the result...
And the side view. May add a small bash plate under the transfer just in case
Next the gear levers go just behind (left) of the big hole. A little cutting and it's all done.
Finishing up before the test drive took a while when a few issues showed up.
Getting the gear lever and the 4wd lever back took some wrangling with springs and circlips etc.
The clutch pedal needed adjustment as the pin was about 25mm too long. Cut more thread and chopped off the extra bit. Perfect clutch travel and feel.
The clutch slave rubber hose started leaking. Ordered a new one.
GQ handbrake cable bolts up exactly the same as old MQ too easy.
Put the starter motor back in, only to discover the bolt hole threads needs some cleaning. Not much space down there... made a thread cleaner which fixed the problem.
Put the right front seat back...
Turn the key and I can hear a relay clicking but the starter does not turn over... o yes, this used to be an auto with a disable built in if not in Park or Neutral... Find the wires and luckily I could just plug the end of one into the other.
RB fired up straight away as usual but since I had to bend the exhaust out of the way for the left side bracket, it was now leaking at the front. Clutch works perfectly. Gear changes smooth...
Well the ratio problem seems fix finally. Instead of 85km/h in 1st, I now get 35km in 1st. Way way better!
Another story. When I went to pick up the gearbox, we forgot to secure the drum on the handbrake with a bolt. So somewhere on the way home the drum came loose and fell off never to be seen again...
When I got home I realised what happened and I remembered about the spare MQ transfer drum in the shelf. Well it is the same size and the bolt holes fit.
But while you drive, there are bad noises from stuff touching on the inside... So I need to find the original part....
I also need to find a mid size GQ front output flange as I decided to use the MQ tail shaft to drive the front wheels.
The MQ flange from my spare transfer case may not fit on the GQ splines. Then I need to lengthen the MQ tail shaft a few centimeters. I decided to use the MQ tail shaft as it has a double cardin joint and is thinner which gives me the needed clearance over the front cross member.
All in all I am happy. Just a few small problems to sort out. Also need new carpets as the old ones are shot and the gear lever holes don't line up anymore.
Well there is also another issue that I have been ignoring till now. The speedo cable from the MQ now has nowhere to go as the GQ gearbox has a pickup sensor at the back of the transfer case. Planning to replace the driving gears in the speedo with a stepper motor and a micro controller to pick the sensor signal and calculate the speed based on the sensor signal. While I do that, I will also convert the tacho as well. Always wanted speedo and tacho needles that sweep left to righ a couple of time at startup.