Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

time for a change

2K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  nissantractor 
#1 ·
It's time to turn the trol into a trayback and reverse the springs, I have done as much
research as I can so here goes!

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
I cut approx 175mm off the existing chassis off and replaced it with 90x50x3mm rhs
dropped the springs of and reversed them only to find the bolt that carries the front
spring eye is a different size to the shackle end.
so after a lot of ringing round I found a new pair of steel/rubber original bushes and had
the old ones pressed out and put the new in,also I had some new 16mm u bolts made
up for a little extra strength.
Ive cut the brake line and will replace with new braided ones later,also Iwill need to
relocate the tube that holds the shockers on, backwards once ive put the axle back.
more pics

Product Chair Vehicle Baby carriage Baby Products

Auto part

Tire Automotive tire Wheel Automotive exterior Rim

Tire Automotive tire Tread Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Auto part

#10 ·
Very nice work.
I was considering cutting one of my cars into a ute and flipping the springs, I think from memory it was about a 7-8" wheelbase increase.

#11 ·
started to weld the 3mm galv sheet in after offering it up and marking the shape,
managed to cut it out in one piece.I welded in a 40x40mm rhs to the back side to help prevent the sheet from bowing and started welding at the bottom working up trying to
keep it in shape,once I got to the rhs I started to form the top using the seam as a guide
to bend round and filled the canopy bolt holes with weld at the same time.
when I cut the back off it wasnt perfect and that added time to the build as I had to make
good the body work as I went.long job but it turned out ok,filled the shop with smoke
due to the fact I had not removed all the sealer and sound deadener.
more pics might be in the wrong order,bear with me. Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Tire

Vehicle Auto part Car

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Car

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Automotive tire Automotive exterior

#17 ·
"UK set to be hotter than Hawaii" was the report on the news here, you'll have to take a vest off soon ;)

Looking fab, you are clearly fairly handy with a welder! :) Can't imagine there are many tray back utes knocking around where you live, it should certainly stand out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.