Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I’ve noticed a tinny sound while driving. Before you say it’s something touching your tyre or a loose bolt/something to do with the accessories let me explain.

It starts anywhere after second gear and goes away when it chooses to OR when I slow down to less than 30km. However if I slow down to less than 30kmph there’s a thud (you feel and hear) and the sound goes away.

Once out of second gear there’s no knowing when the tinny sound will be back and it usually starts again whenever it chooses (usually same drive) after 3rd gear.

To best describe the sound, I’d say if you cut a tin can into a triangle and let the tip of the triangle rub against your tyre while you drive. Or if you’ve ever ridden a bicycle over a tin can and had it get stuck and kept going, kinda similar but not as loud.

Could it just be low front/rear diff oil or low gearbox fluid?(not sure?)

Let me know your thoughts! Cheers everyone!

·
Registered
NISSAN PATROL Y61 3.0 Di (ZD30) 09/2000
492 Posts
Does the frequency of the sound increase with speed (ie linked to your wheels) ?
Do you still have it if you go from 2H to 4H ?

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
12,160 Posts
Wagon or ute? Model? Engine?

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,101 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the frequency of the sound increase with speed (ie linked to your wheels) ?
Yes it does (sometimes) but weirdly not quite at the same rate as the car is travelling. Example if you were to hear a plane fly by. Sound comes after it. Same type of situation but sound slows after car. Sometimes however it stays at same level if not slightly higher/lower pitch even though car is slowing down and remains until 30kmph an hour or less followed by thud. Etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Didn’t know I could drive fast (50km+) in 4H? Always thought it was bad for car and never thought to try it because the engine light and limp mode will probably be engaged 5 seconds into the attempt at it lol.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Yes you can, of course. On a snowy highway, I do that all the time.

·
Registered
492 Posts
did you check your brake calipers ? Sometimes the little pistons get seized. Does the sound stay, come, or go away when you brake ? Did you check your brake pads ?
Is the sound louder when you turn the steering wheel ? Did you check the front axle bearings ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
UPDATE: Pooie no longer has a proper working clutch. The tinny sound was obviously something to do with that. Tinny sound has subsided and now the gears only grip at low rpm. As soon as pressure is applied to accelerate, revs go up but no power is transmitted to wheels - full slip till foot is off and rpms go back to engine speed.

·
Administrator
GUII ZD30DI Wgn
44,101 Posts
UPDATE: Pooie no longer has a proper working clutch. The tinny sound was obviously something to do with that. Tinny sound has subsided and now the gears only grip at low rpm. As soon as pressure is applied to accelerate, revs go up but no power is transmitted to wheels - full slip till foot is off and rpms go back to engine speed.
Sounds like pressure plate has collapsed, could also be throwout bearing I suppose. Let us know what it is when it comes out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts