Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. As stated in earlier post my car's wheel arch flares look sad so I'm going to have a crack at repainting them on the car. So what do I do? I intend sanding the flares with fine wet and dry then wiping over with Prepsol. Then 2 coats of colour and a couple of coats of clear. Have I missed anything or is there anything I've only got half correct? I've used this technique on the steel wheels and they came up pretty good - at least I think so. I figure with a bit of advice I can end up with a finish that's gotta be better than the way the flares look right now. Thanks in advance. Deejay.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
547 Posts
Scotch brite and scuff stuff. Prepsol it down and don't forget the plastic primer. Let that flash and then hit your colour coats on.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,549 Posts
Wet rub it with 200 then apply plastic primer and paint, they are pretty tough flares and need a bit of elbow grease to rub them back.

Rick

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
Prep work varies massively on if there a solid colour, Metallic, pearl or bare plastic.

There is no reason to ever use flex additives on any GQ or GU flares as there isn't enough flex to bother. If your paint is cracking it's either poor prep work or to much paint.

Cheers Mick

·
Registered
nissan
1,671 Posts
^^lol, rubbing them up against a tree or rock flexes them plenty enough to crack even the stock paint.

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,549 Posts
^^lol, rubbing them up against a tree or rock flexes them plenty enough to crack even the stock paint.

The flares are pretty stiff themselves i wouldnt think adding flexing agent into the paint would help, i would suspect you would break the flare before the paint cracked from flexing.

Rick

·
Registered
nissan patrol
1,893 Posts
That wont stop the paint from cracking or flaking if you do that. If you bend them that much they will crack regardless of adding a flex additive or not.

Learning to drive will help though. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts