Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
The Prodigal Child Has Returned
nissan
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Time has come to do the exhaust mainfold leak, and the 3" zorst

Been looking, at it and some of those dam manifold bolts are really hard/ near impossible to get to .

So have the wise people out there that have done it before got any tips.

I have a loan car for a week, so I only have a week after hours to do it. still have to buy the pipe, and get the mainfold machined.

·
Registered
nissan mk
970 Posts
Yes, took my air cleaners off and decided that if I tried to get the manifold off I might be needing some ezyouts/helicoils and cold chisel (not the group) so put it off and made up an adapter for the boost gauge rather than drilling and tapping the manifold.
As you have a leaking exhaust manifold I think you need to get some gaskets, bite the bullet and get it off. If you are able to remove your exhaust pipe that will be a start.
Good luck and and remember that the next best thing after heat is shock to get these things apart so try an impact driver or rattle gun if you can on some of the nuts or a cold chisel/punch.

·
Rusty, but Trusty. Most of the time
nissan
1,185 Posts
dose the studs with CRC for a day or so.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
CRC is a must.
Unbolt the bracket that holds the turbo to the block as support. That will allow you to push turbo and manifold away from the head, take your exhaust off its first hanger.

a 12mm ratchet spanner is your friend
12mm 1/2 drive socket with 6" extension is your other friend

I suggest you take your turbo off the manifold and get your manifold machined as it is probably warped. This will be a PITA.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
nissan
275 Posts
A decent 3/8 drive set can be easier to get to a few of the bolts and nuts, mainly near the rear.
Spraying the **** out of them with CRC or similar is a must do at least 12 hours prior to starting.

·
Registered
nissan
778 Posts
Good luck 3/8 th drive set is good? Do you have air-con? If so alt and air-con pump have to come off then the air-con bracket, to get air-con bracket off you have to undo 2 head bolts a water pump bolt and the 2 bottom bolts behind the alt.
Your best off taking the turbo and exhaust manifold off in one peice,
My turbo bolts were all seized up so I ended up pulling the centre of the turbo apart and breaking a couple of bolts in the exhaust housing, so instead of fixing I sourced a complete aftermarket turbo system and am trying my luck with it instead, and as a bonus the restrictive factory dump pipe is a thing of the past.

·
nissan
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
had a bit of a look, All mainfold studs where quiet loose. I think one of them is missing, fingers crossed not broken off.
I belive this is why it blew the gasket so, i'm hopeing no warp, but if it is do it once, do it right.

Yeah thought the air con bracket had to come off. ahh the joy.

On the up size I have 3" pipe for the zorst sorced at $18 bucks a meter. had 2 other quotes of 32 and belive it or not $56.
and 3" mandrel bends for about $30, but they said they can do a deal on what every i get.

well out to get the elbows and arms dirty.

·
Registered
nissan gq 4.2 peterol lwb & mk turbo diesel shorty
41 Posts
done mine twice!!,two weeks agojust lay underneith truck and reach up all 12mm nuts on mine came of really easily from under intake and exhaust i had to get mine machined around $80 bucks, but also had to get angle grinder on to the turbo bracket ground about 5mm of it where it bolts on to the engine block as it was the cause of the first gasket to blow out after only a week!!( bugger )as all the other guys say take bolts out of air con and lay it out of the way take battery out and disconnect exhaust and elbow hose from turbo to block i think its a oil return hose? and take air cleaner off!! takes around 1.5 hours to remove after doing it twice ..lol

·
Registered
Nissan patrol
1,610 Posts
had a bit of a look, All mainfold studs where quiet loose. I think one of them is missing, fingers crossed not broken off.
I belive this is why it blew the gasket so, i'm hopeing no warp, but if it is do it once, do it right.

Yeah thought the air con bracket had to come off. ahh the joy.

On the up size I have 3" pipe for the zorst sorced at $18 bucks a meter. had 2 other quotes of 32 and belive it or not $56.
and 3" mandrel bends for about $30, but they said they can do a deal on what every i get.

well out to get the elbows and arms dirty.
If you snap any bolts off in the head you can buy these reverse dill bits to extract the remainder of the stud that you cant get to.
They work really well and would be very handy if that situation occurs.

·
Registered
nissan
778 Posts
If you snap any bolts off in the head you can buy these reverse dill bits to extract the remainder of the stud that you cant get to.
They work really well and would be very handy if that situation occurs.
Until you break one of those in there like I have done....... On a rb25det

·
nissan
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
all off, turbo looks in good shape:D, guess I have to take the turbo off the manifold to get it machined :( ,so thats another trip to nissan for a gasket (genuine would be the way to go there to I guess) so more cash down the great nissan drain hole. :crazy:

Was thinking of getting a small section of 2 1/4 streched so i can mount it to the dump, and still get the flange bolts. hahahaha flange , I love flange. then bit off 3" and onto a mandrel bend then 3 " from there back.

any ideas?????

·
nissan
1,185 Posts
Put it this way, if you don't use a genuine nissan intake/exhaust gasket, you'll be sorry! :D

·
nissan
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah got gen nissan mainifold gasket, but what about the zorst mainfold to the turbo. square 4 bolts in it????

·
Registered
nissan
220 Posts
What Bose"o" said is true as. When I did mine it lasted about a month because the bracket near turbo to block was holding the manifolds back from being completely flush. I jus ground the block a bit cause I couldnt get the bracket off. And its been nearly a year now and still no leak. I just used High temp silicone on the square part of the zorst manifold. And its still good too. Cheers.

·
nissan
1,185 Posts
Stuff the stock dump pipe, make up a 3in dump for it!

Scotts rodds sell the turbo flange for $15

·
nissan
7,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
pics ??? just can't picture it What a flange that mounts to the back of the turbo?

So no standard dump but full custom.

my problem is I only have a week after hours to get it done, as i only have a loan car till friday.

Whats the turbo number or model so I can order one, from there

·
nissan
1,185 Posts
Ask for a HT15B turbo flange. :) (like the ones they use on the GU TD24T dump pipes)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts