Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
nissan patrol
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in a dilemma people, I have a factory diff lock in the rear of my patrol which works beautifully and has gotten me out of the odd pickle. it works so well that I don't really need a front locker but I WANT one! A eaton e-locker to be precise nothing less. Can I justify the expense to myself? 4wding is what I do and I love it. If something is your passion shouldn't you be able to splurged from time to time.. Help me convince myself.

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
As long as you don't think you need reduction gears then that would be the next mod to do.

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
Rear lockers work great, but front ones are better. Of course front and rear are even better.

I'll wager that once you put the Eaton in the front, you'll hardly ever feel like switching the back one on.

I only have a front Lockrite but I love how it enables you to crawl through a bad spot after seeing the open fronts in the convoy struggling :)

Reactions: Davo1

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
Hey Chopped sorry mate that question was for the OP :)

Don't worry i have seen you on Youtube

·
Registered
nissan
517 Posts
This wont help. My brother and I both have the same model gu. I have a front locker and he doesnt. He's never been stuck anywhere I've been able to get to. But if I was to redo my build I'd still put a front locker in :). So there's my useless $0.02.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
16,015 Posts
Aren't they crap for steering in 4wd ?
You can steer with an auto whereas with the others they tend to straight line. Wouldn't be without mine. No electrics, no air, no pipes, no extra holes in the diff, cheaper. Winning all the way.

·
Sydoforumsuperfan :)
nissan gu patrol
8,929 Posts
You can steer with an auto whereas with the others they tend to straight line. Wouldn't be without mine. No electrics, no air, no pipes, no extra holes in the diff, cheaper. Winning all the way.
Brand ?

·
Glasshouse Bogan #1
nissan patrol gu
9,423 Posts
your better off being able to unlock it from what I have experienced. but that comes at a cost.

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
Aren't they crap for steering in 4wd ?
Absolutely a no to that.

They are fine in sand, soil, mud, rocks. I've been on Stockton, across the Simpson, throughout the high country, love the unlocker.

Steering is better than with a full locker, as the outside wheel can turn, especially good on high country switchbacks. Full locker guys will be turning them off for that.

The only place I get nervous is on side slope muddy sections where there is a 1000m dropoff.....

·
Registered
nissan patrol
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK a locker is definitely going in, now just auto or full. you all have given me a lot to think about. thanks for all the responses,

·
Registered
nissan patrol
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Rear lockers work great, but front ones are better. Of course front and rear are even better.

I'll wager that once you put the Eaton in the front, you'll hardly ever feel like switching the back one on.

I only have a front Lockrite but I love how it enables you to crawl through a bad spot after seeing the open fronts in the convoy struggling :)
Given the chance ACMPatrol would you swap your Lockrite for an E-locker or keep lockrite.?

·
Registered
nissan
2,771 Posts
Given the chance ACMPatrol would you swap your Lockrite for an E-locker or keep lockrite.?
That's a hard one to answer.

I'll approach it this way - what would I choose if I had $2000-$2400 to blow on the vehicle (that's the cost of an installed E-locker).

The Lockright cost me $400 and I installed it myself for zero cost, because it didn't require any changes to bearing positions. That would not apply to an E-Locker, so I would have to pay to have it installed although the wiring part would be easy for me.

I could have an E-Locker installed, or I could have reduction gears installed, or I could have diff ratios changed from the current 4.3 to 4.6 or maybe even 4.8 to allow me to run 35s. All these around the same cost.

My value for money approach would have me choose diff ratios first, reduction gears 2nd, and e-locker third.

Because diff ratios are used every time you use the vehicle, reduction gears only when off-road, and diff lock only occasionally when off road.

But then knowing how effective the Lockrite is I wouldn't swap it out at all.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts