Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
So I’m in the US. I’ve imported before but now I would like something with a bit more room. I’m trying to decide between a LC and a Patrol. I’ve read some really good write ups/articles comparing the two but you guys are the experts. With certain Toyota products the body and interior parts can still be obtained here in the states even if it’s a diesel since minus the radiator engine and some other parts the body parts and interior are mostly the same. With the Nissan the glaring truth is that there is no equivalent here. They are so cool though!! Please share any and all thoughts, be it positive or negative.
Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What models of each are you considering?
A 4 door model with the TD42. Preferably a manual.
Of the LC something in the 70 or 80 series. I havent decided yet on wether source from Australia or Japan. Some models are more common in Australia.

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
849 Posts
A 4 door model with the TD42. Preferably a manual.
Of the LC something in the 70 or 80 series. I havent decided yet on wether source from Australia or Japan. Some models are more common in Australia.
One of the big advantages here of 70 S, 80 S and GQ/GU Patrols is that parts are everywhere and the aftermarket is huge. We buy diesels such as the TD42 because petrol is expensive.

I'd possibly look for an earlier one if "cool factor" is what you're after.

You guys got the LC80 and 100 didnt you? Might be your best choice and then LS it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
You guys got the LC80 and 100 didnt you? Might be your best choice and then LS it.
From what I understand they mainly got the petrol variant 1FZ-FE (80 series) and the 2UZ-FE (100 series) engines. I'd much prefer any of those two over the LS, especially when you see how common and easily it is to bolt a turbo on the 1FZ these days with all the aftermarket options for them.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I'm very very biased in my opinion about Toyota making the better diesel engine as I currently drive one but if I had my time again I'd much prefer everything else that goes with having a Patrol. Stronger drivetrain, much nicer manual gearbox, more space inside, normally cheaper to purchase.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here in New Mexico it’s not just “cool factor” I’m going for. For what you get for your money it’s not really much more expensive to import a diesel that you can’t get here. Toyota’s 4x4’s are way over priced for what you get here. I currently have a diesel Surf and love it but I want something with more room as I said before. I’m hardcore diesel so importing is pretty much the only option since you guys get all the cool stuff 😎.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
With your knowledge of the Patrol would any of you feel confident enough to import one if you didn’t have them readily available? Would sourcing parts from out of the country etc. be too much of a hassle? From all I’ve ready the engines are very reliable and like Kiwi mentioned the drivetrain and transmissions are strong so it’s not like they are going to break down if maintained. Am I off in my thinking?

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
849 Posts
From what I understand they mainly got the petrol variant 1FZ-FE (80 series) and the 2UZ-FE (100 series) engines. I'd much prefer any of those two over the LS, especially when you see how common and easily it is to bolt a turbo on the 1FZ these days with all the aftermarket options for them.
Learned to drive in a 1FZ-FE 105 and it's standard performance was good if you compare it to a STD Zd30 or TD42. I'd take a modded diesel any day over it and probably the FZ over the UZ having considered buying a 100, after putting up with stock ZD slowness. (FWIW the result was screw it and leave the petty 100s for the rednecks who cant afford a doozal 100 but still think toyota ****s on everyone else)

Still think a STD LS2 would suffice powerwise where the Toymotas would need forced induction to reach LS with a tune.

Here in New Mexico it’s not just “cool factor” I’m going for. For what you get for your money it’s not really much more expensive to import a diesel that you can’t get here. Toyota’s 4x4’s are way over priced for what you get here. I currently have a diesel Surf and love it but I want something with more room as I said before. I’m hardcore diesel so importing is pretty much the only option since you guys get all the cool stuff 😎.
With your knowledge of the Patrol would any of you feel confident enough to import one if you didn’t have them readily available? Would sourcing parts from out of the country etc. be too much of a hassle? From all I’ve ready the engines are very reliable and like Kiwi mentioned the drivetrain and transmissions are strong so it’s not like they are going to break down if maintained. Am I off in my thinking?
Strong as they are things still need replacing and servicing occasionally especially if you wheel it. Waiting on #overnightpartsfromjapan would give me the ****s, personally hence the recommendation of an 80.

I chat with a Jeep head and dirtbike riders from NM via ThumperTalk website so I see some insight into the wheeling culture there and some of it looks more extreme than a mild patrol build can handle. If it's just for overlanding and living an outdoor lifestyle then perfect... except for the question mark about parts.

A mild TD build would be reliable, economical, have good low end torque and sound great. Personally I'd look for a TD42 Auto.

I'm very very biased in my opinion about Toyota making the better diesel engine as I currently drive one but if I had my time again I'd much prefer everything else that goes with having a Patrol. Stronger drivetrain, much nicer manual gearbox, more space inside, normally cheaper to purchase.
They went backward from 80 series IMO. Honestly I could be given a choice of Toyo or trol for free and I'd still pick the trol. The only one that might make me think is a factory 1HD auto 80 Sahara.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Learned to drive in a 1FZ-FE 105 and it's standard performance was good if you compare it to a STD Zd30 or TD42. I'd take a modded diesel any day over it and probably the FZ over the UZ having considered buying a 100, after putting up with stock ZD slowness. (FWIW the result was screw it and leave the petty 100s for the rednecks who cant afford a doozal 100 but still think toyota ****s on everyone else)

Still think a STD LS2 would suffice powerwise where the Toymotas would need forced induction to reach LS with a tune.

Strong as they are things still need replacing and servicing occasionally especially if you wheel it. Waiting on #overnightpartsfromjapan would give me the ****s, personally hence the recommendation of an 80.

I chat with a Jeep head and dirtbike riders from NM via ThumperTalk website so I see some insight into the wheeling culture there and some of it looks more extreme than a mild patrol build can handle. If it's just for overlanding and living an outdoor lifestyle then perfect... except for the question mark about parts.

A mild TD build would be reliable, economical, have good low end torque and sound great. Personally I'd look for a TD42 Auto.

They went backward from 80 series IMO. Honestly I could be given a choice of Toyo or trol for free and I'd still pick the trol. The only one that might make me think is a factory 1HD auto 80 Sahara.
Why would you suggest an automatic over a manual? I ask because we’ve got mountains for days out here and being able to down shift at will seems like it would be an obvious upside to a manual tranny.

·
Registered
nissan gq
1,598 Posts
Why would you suggest an automatic over a manual? I ask because we’ve got mountains for days out here and being able to down shift at will seems like it would be an obvious upside to a manual tranny.
Your initial question to us should have a unanimous response or we are all idiots :D I have had diesel Maverick [ford patrol here 1989] and Patrols since 2000 ,all TD42 manuals,now we have 4 in the family,a roomy,comfortable,tough,reliable "peace of mind "vehicle,very simple systems so failures in the bush are almost never.Did a 16000km holiday trip up the west to Darwin,south to Alice Springs then west along the old "Gunbarrel Hwy" back home,one flat aux battery due to bad install wiring and one flat tyre staked while going into a bush camp site.I had made a thorough inspection and service,purchased a few parts and a factory workshop manual and carried tools to suit.We kept a daily log of fuel/distance etc but I lent it to someone wanting to prep for a similar trip and it disappeared,so I can't give you any info from it.A manual trans is my preference,much tougher than an auto,doesn't have the ATF leak risk,can be roll/push started if necessary,yada yada.
You might be able to find a LHD in Europe to suit your local driving conditions [ much safer when overtaking ]-- my 2c

Cheers,G.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Your initial question to us should have a unanimous response or we are all idiots :D I have had diesel Maverick [ford patrol here 1989] and Patrols since 2000 ,all TD42 manuals,now we have 4 in the family,a roomy,comfortable,tough,reliable "peace of mind "vehicle,very simple systems so failures in the bush are almost never.Did a 16000km holiday trip up the west to Darwin,south to Alice Springs then west along the old "Gunbarrel Hwy" back home,one flat aux battery due to bad install wiring and one flat tyre staked while going into a bush camp site.I had made a thorough inspection and service,purchased a few parts and a factory workshop manual and carried tools to suit.We kept a daily log of fuel/distance etc but I lent it to someone wanting to prep for a similar trip and it disappeared,so I can't give you any info from it.A manual trans is my preference,much tougher than an auto,doesn't have the ATF leak risk,can be roll/push started if necessary,yada yada.
You might be able to find a LHD in Europe to suit your local driving conditions [ much safer when overtaking ]-- my 2c

Cheers,G.
Thank you Marko!!
That is some good info. I actually like driving on the right side. Makes parallel parking a breeze!

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
849 Posts
I'm a lazy sod. Gears can all be selected on an RE4 with the lever. The TC locks in low range

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So I understand the whole “poor man pays twice“. You get what you pay for. With that being said which would be a better base model to start with. The non-turbo TD42 or the TD42T

·
Registered
nissan gq
1,598 Posts
So I understand the whole “poor man pays twice“. You get what you pay for. With that being said which would be a better base model to start with. The non-turbo TD42 or the TD42T
Ours all started out n/a,silvertops but we made up kits with a Kinugawa turbo,log manifold,3" stainless exhaust and front mount intercooler for 3,one has been running about 18psi for over 4 years and doesn't show any signs of distress,the second convert runs 8psi on a std pump,smoother drive and better fuel economy than n/a and the 3rd,well that's a "round tuit ".Personal preference really,but a turbo makes it easier to drive in hilly terrain,and the choice of factory or diy depends on your access to the necessary skills and material

Cheers,G.

·
Registered
nissan
368 Posts
TD42 auto's are hard to come by but do exist. If I were looking for one I would look at the 94 model series 2 version as they had the auto with the larger torque converter in them and the early ones had the smaller converter. Manual gives you overall gear control but auto allows you to be a heck of a lot gentler on the running gear. an auto with large cooler and upgraded valve body mates well to a TD42T. The cruiser has it over the Patrol simply for the fact that you actually have them available and panels and the like would be accessible to you. The Patrol is stronger in the running gear for sure. Cool factor is the Patrol but ease of ownership my be an 80 cruiser

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TD42 auto's are hard to come by but do exist. If I were looking for one I would look at the 94 model series 2 version as they had the auto with the larger torque converter in them and the early ones had the smaller converter. Manual gives you overall gear control but auto allows you to be a heck of a lot gentler on the running gear. an auto with large cooler and upgraded valve body mates well to a TD42T. The cruiser has it over the Patrol simply for the fact that you actually have them available and panels and the like would be accessible to you. The Patrol is stronger in the running gear for sure. Cool factor is the Patrol but ease of ownership my be an 80 cruiser
That’s interesting... During all my research I’ve found way more Auto’s then manuals.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts