Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
CRD Wagon
849 Posts
So your vote would be for and auto over a manual trans also? Honestly, I’m surprised (no offense).
Yes, and I am surprised you are suprised. Driving a stick is hardly a bragging point in Aus like it is in Murica.

Coupled to the engine combo I have I honestly feel it's the better choice and IMO it'd be even better with a powered up TD :love:

Advantages for auto: All gears are selectable, a GU will lock the TC in low range to reduce over run. Towing is easier, plodding around offroad is easier, lower revs at highway speed. A quick shifting auto easily exploits the torque band of the diesel AND it's smoother on the rest of the drive train... no clutch to get clagged up with mud.

Disadvantages: Cant bump start (the biggest IMO) and harder/more expensive to service.

Pros to manual: Easier to service, direct control over drive via that left hand pedal people are quickly forgetting (whoopty doo in a Patrol).

Patrol GQ/GU is hardly a driver's car, I dont miss a manual tranny one iota when I drive my patrol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yes, and I am surprised you are suprised. Driving a stick is hardly a bragging point in Aus like it is in Murica.

Coupled to the engine combo I have I honestly feel it's the better choice and IMO it'd be even better with a powered up TD :love:

Advantages for auto: All gears are selectable, a GU will lock the TC in low range to reduce over run. Towing is easier, plodding around offroad is easier, lower revs at highway speed. A quick shifting auto easily exploits the torque band of the diesel AND it's smoother on the rest of the drive train... no clutch to get clagged up with mud.

Disadvantages: Cant bump start (the biggest IMO) and harder/more expensive to service.

Pros to manual: Easier to service, direct control over drive via that left hand pedal people are quickly forgetting (whoopty doo in a Patrol).

Patrol GQ/GU is hardly a driver's car, I dont miss a manual tranny one iota when I drive my patrol.
I understand where your coming from. Having never driven a Patrol I don’t know how trans handles. Because of all the mountain driving here I figured that a manual would be better so that you could keep your revs up on a long incline.

·
Registered
50 Posts
So , I am in the Dominican Republic. The Patrol was sold here and S America (look in to the model you want, might be cheaper from here than Aus) . However, it was never in big numbers like AUS, UAE, S Africa .

Parts are a nightmare. In the last year , my Patrol has been off the road for 3 months over the last year, because of a stupid AC bracket. Mechanics here do not realize the importance of missing a bolt or a short bolt. I have had to order these parts from AUS via US .

I think I can find these parts in Haiti or S America as the car was sold there as well. However, my spanish is not too good.,

There is gorgeous TD42 shorty here for sale at $US7,000 Nissan Patrol/Safari - Corotos. if you want to take a look all the details of the dealer are in the link.

I love my Patrol, but to have it off road due to parts problems is a real downer. On a positive note, I have purchased 4 AC brackets from AUS as I know 5 other people here that are in the same position. I will gouge them for my suffering and make a bit extra. If you guys in AUS can supply me this part in bulk (20 to start with), please pm me.

·
Registered
nissan
368 Posts
In Australia the majority of the TD42 GQ's were manual. I have a series 2 TD42 AUTO RX patrol wagon. I have upgraded the valve body so that it shifts a little faster and firmer and the upgraded valve body also allows my to manually lock the convertor in all gears. So in effect I can go first gear low range and lock the converter and I have some engine breaking compared to none when torque converter unlocked.

After turbo charging, intercooling and changing the diff ratios to 4.6 my car is fun to drive and easy on and offroad. Without the worry of a clutch I can concentrate on where to place the wheels and use the mechanical advantage of the torque converter.

Touring and towing is easy. I am also in the process of building an Auto TD42Ti GU as a daily as the GQ works so well.

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,710 Posts
Apart from the extra head room, what other benefits are there to a high roof? I've always wondered why Nissan invested in two roof options for GQ. :unsure:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Apart from the extra head room, what other benefits are there to a high roof? I've always wondered why Nissan invested in two roof options for GQ. :unsure:
I’m not really in a position of useful knowledge, but it makes sense that since this was the 1st gen they were throwing all they had at it 🤷🏼‍♂️ to see what sold well?

·
Registered
'14 Y61 ZD30 CRD M/T ST
1,710 Posts
I’m not really in a position of useful knowledge, but it makes sense that since this was the 1st gen they were throwing all they had at it 🤷🏼‍♂️ to see what sold well?
Ha ha! :D My experience with the Japanese is quite the opposite. They normally have to "fix" things with later generations because they stuffed it up with the first try. Just look at what happened with the ZD30 engine for instance.

Nissan in South Africa used to build a little half-ton pickup (B120 later called B140) from something like 1972 - 2006'ish. About half way through it's production life, Nissan SA redesigned and raised the roof to give it more head room, as the average South African male is a little bigger than the average Japanese.

From what I understand, most high roof Safari's were destined for the Japanese domestic market, which is why I wondered what the reasoning behind it was.

·
Registered
nissan
96 Posts
Not sure what the reasoning behind the high roof is. But I must say I've made use of that extra space in mine by making and fitting shelves up there so when my wife and I are 4x4ing and camping all our sleeping bags, blankets big jackets and fishing rods all get stored up there safely and out of the way. When I first bought my gq I didn't like the look of the high roof as it looked too much like a van. But once they are lifted with 33's bullbars quarter chop rock sliders etc etc they look awesome. I love how beasty my truck looks now. My suggestion would be to make yourself a shelf for up there so you can use the space, it's actually amazing what you can store up there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Not sure what the reasoning behind the high roof is. But I must say I've made use of that extra space in mine by making and fitting shelves up there so when my wife and I are 4x4ing and camping all our sleeping bags, blankets big jackets and fishing rods all get stored up there safely and out of the way. When I first bought my gq I didn't like the look of the high roof as it looked too much like a van. But once they are lifted with 33's bullbars quarter chop rock sliders etc etc they look awesome. I love how beasty my truck looks now. My suggestion would be to make yourself a shelf for up there so you can use the space, it's actually amazing what you can store up there.
That is awesome mate! Do you have any pics of your setup??

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
If you expose the roof structure,that is the time to get some quality rust preventative into the triple skin up there,so you don't suffer the deadly "convertible disease" as the turret rusts off.:sick:

Cheers,G.
How exactly do you expose the roof structure? Do you expose it from the bottom by removing the headliner and working your way up?

·
Registered
nissan gq
1,598 Posts
How exactly do you expose the roof structure? Do you expose it from the bottom by removing the headliner and working your way up?
We did a "glass-out"repaint,removed the headliner and accessed the roof edge from there.The headliner is tight and stretched from front to back,the bows are spring steel,located into holes in the upper sides of the frame.If you remove the edge trim over a rear-side door and peel off the edge of the liner you should be able to get fingers up the side and feel the edge of the steel.The structure comprises of the roof/turret,an inner reinforce which is about 3" high then the frame above the doors,these all appear to be continuous welded to form the gutter along the sides.The preservative has to go into both voids.Excess can flow forward and down the "A" pillar.The rear is easy to access by removing the rear door upper latch and inserting a spray nozzle through the bolt holes. Another area needing a squirt is in the engine bay below the corners of the windscreen where the reinforce is welded in.---- and anywhere you see as a moisture trap, (y)

Cheers,G.

·
Registered
nissan
96 Posts

It's kind of a crummy picture but you can see what I did. I cut down a screen door and painted it. I made brackets that attach it to the grab handles. the screen door works well as you can strap everything down with bungee chords easily. My idea is simple but you could make it bigger and as complex as you want. A word of caution if you do make something bigger and attach mounts etc to the roof structure I've found the high roof good lining extremely difficult to get back into place one you've pulled it out to get to the inside of the roof. If you do decide to go in behind the hood lining then as mentioned it's a good idea to get some preventative rust killer etc in the roof joins. It's a well known fact in Aus and NZ these love to rust from the inside out, and it gets to a point where it's almost impossible to stop.

·
Safari Hoarder
nissan
4,740 Posts
Canigetanamen, (that's a difficult handle to type...), welcome aboard. I have been importing the Y60s for some time (personal) and have had many. The biggest general differences between theses series of Nissan vs. Toyota:
Y60s are built stupid simple and easy to fix, just one example is the hand brake, another is the drive train.
Toyotas have better ergonomic interior (80 series)
The TD42 is far better in reliability and simplicity.
The Y60 autos go well. Yours is an pre '94 and you will want to look into upgrading the torque converter.
Manual transmissions have the option for mechanical winch.....

gotta go.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts