Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All

Lifted one wheel off the ground on my GUII (ZD30) to feel how tight my LSD was.
And to my disappointment i could turn the wheel by hand, still has a fair amount of resistance but not enough.

Will an oil change to much to this situation or bite the bullet and shim the diff?

If I have to shim it up, is this an accurate way to do it?

Outer Limits 4x4 Board • View topic - How i shimmed my GQ LSD Diff

Pep

·
Registered
nissan
235 Posts
I read an article in a 4WD Action magazine which said that by design the Patrol LSD gives more resistance as the wheels spin faster. Seems it would be hard to test this except on a track.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Just shim it if you aren't happy. Also use a decent LSD oil, or use an additive like the Penrite LSD additive.

·
Registered
387 Posts
You might gt a better test by stopping with 1 rear wheel on the tar and one on the gravel. Take off fast and see what happens:
a) wheel on gravel spins like buggery - worn LSD
b) wheel on gravel spins briefly then one on tar starts spinning too - LSD working well
c) wheel on gravel spins briefly, then car stalls or bunny hops away - LSD working well & time for turbo work

I would have expected jacking up and turning wheel by hand wouldn't be enough differential to get much response from the LSD???

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You might gt a better test by stopping with 1 rear wheel on the tar and one on the gravel. Take off fast and see what happens:
a) wheel on gravel spins like buggery - worn LSD
b) wheel on gravel spins briefly then one on tar starts spinning too - LSD working well
c) wheel on gravel spins briefly, then car stalls or bunny hops away - LSD working well & time for turbo work

I would have expected jacking up and turning wheel by hand wouldn't be enough differential to get much response from the LSD???
Good advice I'll test it that way.

It was the back wheel right?
Yes it was!!!!!

Pep

·
BORDERTREK 4X4 & FABRICATION
8,549 Posts
X2 all LSD's need a wheel too lose traction first and some reasonable difference in wheel speed side to side before they start working.
That said though my father in laws work horse, a 1989 Rodeo, will turn the other wheel at hand speed when both are jacked up in the air. LSD must 'stuffed' lol.

·
I SUNK 1
Nissan Patrol ST GQ30
960 Posts
Hey ya. i was just down the beach cheching my drive train in the sand. Now, when i stopped in 2hi, and acccelerated slowly enought to make the car lose traction and almost bog itself it would differentaite between
a) kangaroo hopping and almost stalling, waranting stopping and engaging 4x4 to pull out
b) just needing harder throttle to get to a slow crawl before it found enough traction.
is this a sign that things are working well at the business end of my truck.
Was just good timing that i though i might have a little test, then i stumbled upon this thread, and thought maybe my experience could offer you a thought on how to test your LSD.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am concerned that shimming the diff will lock it up, and tho i'd like that when 4x4ing
it would be a pain when normal driving and towing.
I'd be happy with a very tight LSD but not fully locked.

Or will putting in 1 0.7mm shim in each side just tighten the diff up?

Had a Zook with a welded diff and that was awesome, but maybe not on a 3T vehicle

Pep

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have a google on Nulon oil system flush and LSD. I've used it in mine and has made a big difference to the effectiveness of the LSD.
I've heard the same thing on another forum. And am gonna try this first.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts