Patrol 4x4 - Nissan Patrol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gday guys we read alot about gq patrols TD running too hot, but is there such a thing as running too cool with diesel engines?
I ask as i observed yesterday on the drive i do on a regular basis that the old girl stays on a quarter and doesn't move. Ive recently put a high flow thermostat (first) water pump fan hub and new radiator(3months later) before i changed the rad and water pump but after the new thermostat went in the temp gauge sits on quarter but when im climbing it gets to half or just under, i know the temp guages are not the best to go by but as set point to where it was to how it is now its safe to take it as working.
Not complaining but just wanted thoughts because if its not good to be running cool i may just go standard thermostat.
Cheers guys.
(pic shows vehicle temp guage after the big climb that would be usually on half after.)
Trip computer Speedometer Odometer Gauge Tachometer

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
17,627 Posts
Diesels have an optimum running temperature. How broad that temperature is, I don’t know.

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx mate. Its really odd it was a cool morning but then again when it used to get to half it was same weather Hopefully guys with the digital temp guages will know, even if i have to fit one i will as i dont want to kill her by running too cool.

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
17,627 Posts
Just grab one of these, lotsa uses, I carry one, good for checking tyre temps, wheel bearing temps as well.
Font Tool Communication Device Screenshot Measuring instrument

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
18,488 Posts
Fit an engine guard mate..$99 (y)

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
17,627 Posts
Have a read, I have the dual sensor one in my Patrol.

Reactions: GQ bush man

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just read up on it, i see that you can set a temp for the engine i wouldnt know where to start

·
I Have Imaginary Friends
Patrol Hybrid.
17,627 Posts
Set it to the maximum temperature that you want the alarm to sound at.

Reactions: GQ bush man

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,665 Posts
Just grab one of these, lotsa uses, I carry one, good for checking tyre temps, wheel bearing temps as well.
View attachment 535655
I've had one for years, very handy, I've used it for many things including water temp via hoses into radiator and out of radiator, amazing what the difference can be.

Re optimum diesel engine temp, I would think it would be the same for most engines mid 80's to low 90's.
I have my ECUTalk temp alarm set at 95c, just to keep me warned in case I'm distracted by terrain.

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've had one for years, very handy, I've used it for many things including water temp via hoses into radiator and out of radiator, amazing what the difference can be.

Re optimum diesel engine temp, I would think it would be the same for most engines mid 80's to low 90's.
I have my ECUTalk temp alarm set at 95c, just to keep me warned in case I'm distracted by terrain.
Cant wait to get it installed 👍 ill set it at 90c and see how it goes.

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,665 Posts
Cant wait to get it installed 👍 ill set it at 90c and see how it goes.
I'd go a little higher, nothing wrong with 95c just a possible early warning.

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanx guys, so lets say i put it on and its reading 60- 70c is that too low for a diesel engine and will i then need to get temps up?

·
Administrator
Y2KGUII ZD Wgn
49,665 Posts
Thanx guys, so lets say i put it on and its reading 60- 70c is that too low for a diesel engine and will i then need to get temps up?
Higher engine wear rates can be a result of continuous low engine temps. I know this example is for petrol but they are not that different in this respect, the Phase 3 GT Falcon had an exceptional cooling system, so good that in the colder states in winter many would block half the radiator surface area to keep the engine at operating temp when cruising.

·
Registered
GQ 1992 TD42 NA lwb
690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Higher engine wear rates can be a result of continuous low engine temps. I know this example is for petrol but they are not that different in this respect, the Phase 3 GT Falcon had an exceptional cooling system, so good that in the colder states in winter many would block half the radiator surface area to keep the engine at operating temp when cruising.
Never in a million years did i think i would be asking if its running too cool but yeah in all the years of owning ive had the temp gauge go up and down it still does but its alot diffrent i think the combination of new WP rad, fan hub and high flow thermostat made a big impact, so ill fir the engine guard and then ill post some numbers at a later date.
Cheers for all the great advice again guys.

·
After Monday and Tuesday, even the calender says W
06 Td42ti coil cab chassis
18,488 Posts
mine sits in the mid to high 70's around town and on the freeway..
I have alarm set for 88c.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts